Kyler and Kliff’s Offseason Mission

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm refuting your original quote, but if I'm being intellectually honest, you're correct that I was using a flawed definition of arrogance (damn).

Whether or not K1 is arrogant based only on the quote in question is further debatable, but I'm not really interested in pursing that any further unless you are. I've had enough sparing with my arch-nemesis for this day. haha.
All good.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Psychoanalyzing people you never interacted with personally is always a bad idea and Id be willing to bet there are a lot of glass houses throwing stones.
Eh I think all of us realize that we don’t really know any of these guys, what makes ‘em tick, what they do outta sight, etc. so we are really just discussing what little insight we are given. Admittedly it’s pretty limited. If it’s not your bag, don’t play.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Psychoanalyzing people you never interacted with personally is always a bad idea and Id be willing to bet there are a lot of glass houses throwing stones.
We're not angling to be generational QBs that win Super Bowls--KM is. So, when he admits something so unutterably arrogant like he did, it isn't really throwing stones while living in glass houses. It's just fans being displeased in their star QB not putting in all the work.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They have improved on the 30 second before halftime get close enough to kick a field goal drill.

We converted that at least twice this year where last year there wasn't a prayer. I don't know why its that much more difficult at the end of the game with 2 minutes.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
yeah and my take on it is I suspect that Kliff may be Mark Jackson and we need to find Steve Kerr but that may just be for Kyler not the whole team? I guess the difference is Jackson's issue was the players didn't like or trust him, Kliff's may be that he's too friendly with the players they may need a go between. We may need to find a QB coach that can get more improvement from Kyler. I think Kliff has improved but the late season trend with him is pretty troubling.

I said he probably needed to win 2 games to not be on the hotseat, it's probalby 1, if we beat the Rams unless we got absolutely curb stomped by Tampa or Green Bay I would expect him to be back.
I got in a discussion about coaching the other day with a buddy of mine. We were talking about John Tortorella and the Blue Jackets but I think it's more a coaching style.
He was saying Torts was rough on players and would embarrass them. My point was, players embarrass themselves and coaches point it out. Also, I don't think a coach should, or have to be, buddies with the players. In fact, I think that's detrimental.

It's just me, but I like coaches who tell it like it is. Ozzie Guillen and Bruce Arians are two of my favorite coaches ever. I'll take that over a fake, politically coach like Jim Tressel any day. If a player can't handle/accept criticism and then they're probably mot mentally tough enough.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
We're not angling to be generational QBs that win Super Bowls--KM is. So, when he admits something so unutterably arrogant like he did, it isn't really throwing stones while living in glass houses. It's just fans being displeased in their star QB not putting in all the work.
I remember when Murray was drafted, or leading up to the draft, other than his height, my main concern was he didn't seem like a guy who was going to put in the time to be great. Like it or not, in the NFL, QB's have to do that. I'm not saying he has live football 24/7 but if you're spending more time playing video games than studying films, that's probably not an equation for success.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I got in a discussion about coaching the other day with a buddy of mine. We were talking about John Tortorella and the Blue Jackets but I think it's more a coaching style.
He was saying Torts was rough on players and would embarrass them. My point was, players embarrass themselves and coaches point it out. Also, I don't think a coach should, or have to be, buddies with the players. In fact, I think that's detrimental.

It's just me, but I like coaches who tell it like it is. Ozzie Guillen and Bruce Arians are two of my favorite coaches ever. I'll take that over a fake, politically coach like Jim Tressel any day. If a player can't handle/accept criticism and then they're probably mot mentally tough enough.

Well, face-to-face criticism is one thing, and attempting to publicly humiliate is another.

I'm all in favour of the first and a coach who does the latter eventually loses the dressing room, and TORTS is a good example.

Stout

Reaction score
I remember when Murray was drafted, or leading up to the draft, other than his height, my main concern was he didn't seem like a guy who was going to put in the time to be great. Like it or not, in the NFL, QB's have to do that. I'm not saying he has live football 24/7 but if you're spending more time playing video games than studying films, that's probably not an equation for success.
There's a reason I use Tom Brady as a topic during many group sessions I run (with veterans who like football a lot).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I mean, Kyler said he felt he has a special cognitive ability which enables him to not have to grind film...
The quote was just bad all around, made film study sound beneath him.

It's always a bad look to say you're seeing things differently than everyone else, especially when the results aren't there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I met quite a bit of fans here during our SB run including ouchie and cheese. Even though I seem to clash heads with them on the regular, I know they are good people.

All of the psychoanalyzing I do of them though, is in my head, lol.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a reason I use Tom Brady as a topic during many group sessions I run (with veterans who like football a lot).
Would Murray be Brady if he were drafted in the 6th round with a chip on his shoulder? (rhetorical, I knew he would have just gone and played baseball)

Stout

Reaction score
Would Murray be Brady if he were drafted in the 6th round with a chip on his shoulder? (rhetorical, I knew he would have just gone and played baseball)
Possibly? I talk about work ethic, drive, positive stress, diet and exercise, and the importance of a good routine when we bring Brady up.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Torts certainly didn’t pull any punches. Unfortunately this isn’t acceptable in most circles including the workplace. The best bosses I ever had were the most demanding. They had your back though which is all you could ask. Times have changed or maybe it has passed me by.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quote was just bad all around, made film study sound beneath him.

It's always a bad look to say you're seeing things differently than everyone else, especially when the results aren't there.
this is the biggest point about all this. Folks.. look at his stats for the year. They're pretty pedestrian for a QB. 24 TDs 10 int, 3787 yards passing. In a pass happy league. And it wasn't like this year he was making up for it with a dominant performance with his legs like last year. He was decent with them at 388 and 5 TDs.

And in his last 7 games, he was 2-5, throwing for an average 255 yards per game, with 7 TDs and 5 INTs. He did get more of his legs in that stretch though. But as a passer, re: seemingly being above being a film junkie, his passing stats down the stretch are pretty "meh".

and before someone chimes in with "he did that in only 13 games", availability is part of being a successful player. Last year everyone said injury slowed him down and that's why his stats fell off. Well, this year injuries did the same thing. If that's going to be something that happens moving forward, injuries get baked into the cake of overall effectiveness to me.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the biggest point about all this. Folks.. look at his stats for the year. They're pretty pedestrian for a QB. Less than 23 TDs 10 int, 3800 yards passing. In a pass happy league. And it wasn't like this year he was making up for it with a dominant performance with his legs like last year. He was decent with them at 388 and 5 TDs.

and before someone chimes in with "he did that in only 13 games", availability is part of being a successful player. Last year everyone said injury slowed him down and that's why his stats fell off. Well, this year injuries did the same thing. If that's going to be something that happens moving forward, injuries get baked into the cake of overall effectiveness to me.
Conner being so successful in the first half of the year punching the ball in probably took away several of the TDs he might have had. You want to see your QB at a 3:1 TD/Int ratio.

There is definite room for improvement.

Stout

Reaction score
this is the biggest point about all this. Folks.. look at his stats for the year. They're pretty pedestrian for a QB. Less than 23 TDs 10 int, 3800 yards passing. In a pass happy league. And it wasn't like this year he was making up for it with a dominant performance with his legs like last year. He was decent with them at 388 and 5 TDs.

Wow. WOW! I didn't think it as that bad. Man, those are sad, sad numbers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. WOW! I didn't think it as that bad. Man, those are sad, sad numbers.
i was slightly off there. I said less than 23 TDs and 10 INTs... his numbers were actually 24 TDs and 10 INTs with 3787 passing yards.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard