Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Wait, does that mean that the pick can go to the Knicks ONLY if it's lottery? We better make the playoffs every year for the next 20 years! :)

Well, I assume it meant it is protected for the lottery and further, but I'm sure you knew that. I hope we give it next year because the 24-30 pick in that draft should not be any good.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
They had discussions with it after the Suns signed him to an offer sheet. That is very very different from a trade rumor.

Q's press conference wasn't until 14 days after he signed the offer sheet, but the paperwork was filed with the league already.

You are talking about 2 completely different things.
That's right. After the Suns signed him to an offer sheet, we had to wait two weeks until LA decided they didn't want him. In the mean time, there were no rules against Q talking to the media. Technically he wasn't a Clipper or Sun until the Clips didn't match.

Other than that, I usually see Suns rumors on other sites like AZCentral.com way before Suns.com posts anything.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
TopGamer said:
And I stated that.

"I guess this situation is different though"

Sorry, I must have missed that part. I still don't understand why you said this paragraph though

When they signed Q it wasn't official that he was a member of the team yet either. But they had interviews with D'Antoni and the organization discussing it before it was even final. All of the information that is reported is that their are discussions about the trade. If it was final, of course, Q would be on his way to his press conference lol. There still appear to be things to be worked out and it still isn't a sure thing. LIke I said before, I think it was leaked way before either organization wanted it to be.

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
Yuma said:
That's right. After the Suns signed him to an offer sheet, we had to wait two weeks until LA decided they didn't want him. In the mean time, there were no rules against Q talking to the media. Technically he wasn't a Clipper or Sun until the Clips didn't match.

Other than that, I usually see Suns rumors on other sites like AZCentral.com way before Suns.com posts anything.

I was only comparing the situations because when the Suns started posting the information about the Q signing they were doing to prematurely before he became a Sun. Not that there was anything wrong with that. I just found it interesting that they put so much effort in something that may not have gone through. Instead they were posting up to date information on the offer sheet, interviews with the Coach about the possibility of Q being a Sun, etc. all before he even became a Sun. As for right now, there are obviously negotiations being made which is why I found it interesting that the website didn't post anything of it and both organizations are remaining hush.

I didn't mean to make this an issue, it's actually a petty comparison. I was just wondering why the website didn't post anything seeing as though it usually provides this type of info.

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Sorry, I must have missed that part. I still don't understand why you said this paragraph though

I apologize if I'm being unclear. As I stated in my previous post, I was just making a petty comparison nothing major.

- Before Q was officially a Sun the website provided information on him signing the offer sheet, the organization discussed the possibility of him being a Sun, etc. He wasn't yet part of the organization but they still did it instead of waiting until everything was final.

- There are discussions of Q being traded. No comments from the front office, the official website, nada. If their are negotiations taken place why not confirm it? The Suns have shown in the past that they do not wait until deals are final before they discuss them to the media.

- Also, when we were pursuing Walter McCartney it was posted on the website. I guess things are different when you are shipping off a player.

- It has also been reported on the website Hunter, Jake, and Shirley's future with the Suns. Why not Q's since that has been getting more press anyway. Maybe it's a more sensitive issue.

By no means am I saying that just because the website isn't reporting it or BC is remaining quiet is a reason to suspect Q of staying. Just something I am bothered with that they are not confirming publicly. I just want things to be finalized ASAP.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
TopGamer said:
I apologize if I'm being unclear. As I stated in my previous post, I was just making a petty comparison nothing major.

- Before Q was officially a Sun the website provided information on him signing the offer sheet, the organization discussed the possibility of him being a Sun, etc. He wasn't yet part of the organization but they still did it instead of waiting until everything was final.

- There are discussions of Q being traded. No comments from the front office, the official website, nada. If their are negotiations taken place why not confirm it? The Suns have shown in the past that they do not wait until deals are final before they discuss them to the media.

No biggy, just a miscommunication.

Let me rephrase my original post. The Suns have never confirmed a deal that they didn't have control of before it was official. Right now, the deal is supposedly waiting clearance on the Knicks side. The Suns won't make an official statement until there is something to announce.

Most clubs do the same thing. There are always trade rumors, but GMs don't comment on them until they are official 9 out of 10 times.

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
No biggy, just a miscommunication.

Let me rephrase my original post. The Suns have never confirmed a deal that they didn't have control of before it was official. Right now, the deal is supposedly waiting clearance on the Knicks side. The Suns won't make an official statement until there is something to announce.

Most clubs do the same thing. There are always trade rumors, but GMs don't comment on them until they are official 9 out of 10 times.

Good point. I understand.
*sigh* Looks like we have to wait at least until Monday until anything is official. I bet we'll know for sure on draft day.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
TopGamer said:
Good point. I understand.
*sigh* Looks like we have to wait at least until Monday until anything is official. I bet we'll know for sure on draft day.

Yep most likely.

The thing I am worried about is if the deal falls through, what happens next? Does this mean that there will be a fire sale for Q? Or do we bring him back with him knowing he could be traded at any moment?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TopGamer said:
I'm also with you in the minority. If it doesn't happen I'm fine. At least I know we can only get better by keeping our starting 5.

TopGamer, I guess you can understand why it is tough being in the minority.

I believe I understand what you are saying. If the Suns had kept their starting five players, Jackson and perhaps Hunter, they could have well built off this foundation.

IMO, the Suns could have well improved by moving Q to SG in a 6th man role and returning Shawn Marion to SF. Sure, they would have had to concentrate on at least adding one more starter (or perhaps a role player at the 4/5 position) and a proven backup PG for Nash to be a contender again. Also a couple of bench players would not hurt either.

If the roles could have been reversed and the Suns could have added Nazr Mohammed to their roster instead of Mccarty this past season, I think the outcome of the San Antonio series might have been reversed.

I believe the Suns could have found a role player like Nazr Mohammed this off season without giving up any of their previous starting five players. And Nazr Mohammed is about five years younger than KT.

Certainly this is over simplifying it, but the Suns were perhaps only one more role player away from a NBA Championship.

Last edited:

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Yep most likely.

The thing I am worried about is if the deal falls through, what happens next? Does this mean that there will be a fire sale for Q? Or do we bring him back with him knowing he could be traded at any moment?

You read my mind because I have been thinking the exact same thing. Assuming comes back I wonder how it will effect him mentally. Will he have a chip on his shoulder and it will it effect his attitude? Q seems like a mature, positive person and I believe that he understands why this happened from a business point of view as he stated. But it's one thing to leave the team and another to come back knowing that ownership doesn't feel like he is important piece. It will affect his outlook and the perception of his role. He goes from believing he is a core player working to get to a championship to a player biding his time until a deal comes through for him to leave. I think the Suns will prevent anything like this from happening by finding some way to deal him if the Knicks deal falls through.

This potential situation reminds me of last year when he was a free agent. Q wanted to stay with the Clippers and even during the free agency period his attitude remained the same. He said that he wanted to help the Clippers turn the franchise around. But then the Kobe pursuit became more realistic and I believe he felt slighted. He also said then that he understands the Clippers decision and understands why they want Kobe to make the team better (pretty much identical of what he is saying about the Suns) but I think not feeling wanted changed his attitude and as soon as he was offered the offer sheet by the Suns he was practically begging to be let go.

Key words: BRUISED EGO!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TopGamer, please refer to my previous post before your last. I was gladed you shared some of my sentiments about the pending trade. :)

I'm sure it's very much close to a done deal as even coach D'Antonni talked about the trade briefly on the news tonight.

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
TopGamer, I guess you can understand why it is tough being in the minority.

I believe I understand what you are saying. If the Suns had kept their starting five players, Jackson and perhaps Hunter, they could have well built off this foundation.

IMO, the Suns could have well improved by moving Q to SG in a 6th man role and returning Shawn Marion to SF. Sure, they would have had to concentrate on at least adding one more starter (or perhaps a role player at the 4/5 position) and a proven backup PG for Nash to be a contender again. Also a couple of bench players would not hurt either.

If the roles could have been reversed and the Suns could have added Nazr Mohammed to their roster instead of Mccarty this past season, I think the outcome of the San Antonio series might have been reversed.

I believe the Suns could have found a role player like Nazr Mohammed this off season without giving up any of their previous starting five players. And Nazr Mohammed is about five years younger than KT.

Certainly this is over simplifying it, but the Suns were perhaps only one more role player away from a NBA Championship.

I agree. I support the Suns decision but I wish they would have focused on their weaknesses outside of their starting 5 which is the bench. After JJ went down we had no reliable sixth man. That changes things a lot, especially in those games when Q (especially) and others were getting in early foul trouble versus Dallas. We put in McCarty who made a stupid mistake seconds after being on the floor. Our bench is our problem, not Q (besides the financial aspect).

Q's three point shooting (when it's effective) is an important part of our style of play. Run and make three's off transition. Greg Popovich said himself Q is a player who is good at doing that. I trust Pop.

It should be noted that this year was the first that he has been relegated to a predominately three point shooter. Stat for ya: in his last year with the Clips less than a third of his shots were from three point range. This year more than half were. That shot was never his specialty in the first place, he was a more all around player. You're bringing in a guy who get's praised for his post up game and expect him to be Reggie Miller at the three point line. I think if Q worked on his three point shooting he could be more effective in our system than anyone else's. Also if that is his only role it's difficult for him to be effective in the post and contribute that way.

I think this was more of a financial decision than anything not having much to do with is playoff performance. However maybe if was a more efficient shooter he could have stayed longer but for a guy settling into a role that was never his specialty I think they were asking for too much from him. Q is a volume three point shooter. They knew that before we signed him. Of course at the time they didn't know how he would be utilized.

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
TopGamer, please refer to my previous post before your last. I was gladed you shared some of my sentiments about the pending trade. :)

I'm sure it's very much close to a done deal as even coach D'Antonni talked about the trade briefly on the news tonight.

What did D'ANtoni say?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TopGamer said:
What did D'ANtoni say?

Just that KT would be a good acquisition and that he really shouldn't be talking about it until the trade is complete.

There were no details given about the trade other than the reporter asking D'Antonni's thoughts about trading Q for KT.

Apparently there is some technical stuff being worked out (probably the insurance). I respect D'Antonni for at least confirming the deal was in the works. Most coaches do not want say anything while a trade is pending.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TopGamer, I worry about the loss of Q. He had alot of heart which is not so easily replaced with just talent. He played his heart out for this team often matching up with much bigger players at the SF.

The Spurs just packed the paint with their height and took away Q and Marion's inside game in the half court. There is no way Q nor Marion are just three point shooters. To be highly effective Q and Marion need the fastbreak opportunities.

If Q could have been moved to a 6th man, primarily as a SG, next season he would have really blossomed on mismatches with his athletic ability. Both Q and Marion need to have the rythym of their inside games going to be effective shooting outside. They were just lost when their games were reduced to the perimeter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn