Knicks Fans are Funny

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got/had to listen to a New York based XM sports station on the radio on my drive home from San Diego this afternoon.

A good number of the Knick fans calling in were of the opinion that without LeBron, the Stoudemire signing is a bad move. Some were exasperated that they sat through 2 years of horrible basketball and all they seemingly have for it is a minor upgrade to David Lee. Others were still drinking the Kool-Aid as they interpreted Stoudemire's arrival as a sign that Lebron's arrival was imminent.

The host was definitely drinking the Kool-Aid and claimed that the Knicks had significantly upgraded the team and kept referring to Stoudemire as the best free agent power forward. There's roughly 30 teams that would disagree with him. He talked about how Stoudemire would immediately improve everyone on the team especially Galinari. He praised Stoudemire's passing ability and stated that he would be creating all sorts of open shots for others. I couldn't help but chuckle. I wonder if he realized that Stoudemire managed to average only one assist last year with arguably the best shooting team in the NBA surrounding him. He also spoke highly of Stoudemire's post-up game. I got a laugh out of that one as well. He does however have a great face-up game, but the host must have missed all three of our playoff opponents significantly limit if not completely neutralize his face-up game.

The host also kept talking about a Knicks team that included Tony Parker, and even threw out a potential line-up of Parker, Mike Miller, Galinari, Chandler, Stoudemire. I first wondered how the Knicks would manage to convince San Antonio to part with Tony Parker. Then I remembered how appealing Eddie Curry must be to the San Antonio Spurs. I also forgot that David Lee has agreed to be a pawn to improve the Knicks and has approved a sign-and-trade to any team in the NBA for what ever salary that benefits them.

Let's take another look at the line-up of Parker, Miller, Galinari, Chandler, and Stoudemire. We'll pretend for the fun of it that New York somehow managed to swindle Parker from the Spurs and sign Miller. How is anybody going to score against that line-up? I see that D'Antoni has managed to sell a majority of New Yorkers on the small-ball scam, so much so that the host mentioned it as a not only viable, but preferable way to play with Stoudemire. I wonder if Stoudemire knows he's going to be playing center next year or if he realizes that Frye and Lopez won't be around to guard the other team's best big man. That will actually be beneficial for the D'Antoni coached Knicks. The faster the other team scores, the faster they can get back on offense.

Probably the most annoying bit of talk was the assumptions, mainly by fans, that the addition Carmello Anthony was just a matter of time. If Anthony does want to leave Denver, I doubt that any team could put together a better package than what New York could offer.

One thing is for certain. "The Knicks are back!"

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The host was definitely drinking the Kool-Aid and claimed that the Knicks had significantly upgraded the team and kept referring to Stoudemire as the best free agent power forward. There's roughly 30 teams that would disagree with him.

I don't know, I think that's quite an assumption. Personally, I agree with the host that Amare is the best free agent power forward this season. He wasn't necessarily the most sought after but that's a function of his health, IMO. I have no problem with someone choosing Bosh over Amare but I don't think it's a slam dunk. IMO, Bosh may be a more complete player but Amare is a more dominant force.

Steve

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I think Suns fans really underestimate Amare's offensive skills. His game helped Nash just as much as Nash helped Amare - you'll see it when nobody leaves Nash open to shoot that jumper off the pick and roll because there is no reason to sag towards the hoop.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Suns fans really underestimate Amare's offensive skills. His game helped Nash just as much as Nash helped Amare - you'll see it when nobody leaves Nash open to shoot that jumper off the pick and roll because there is no reason to sag towards the hoop.

2005-06 Suns. Nash managed to do alright with Boris Diaw and Kurt Thomas.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had the Knicks beat writer on ESPN today and he is convinces that the Knicks are the favorite to get LeBron and have always been and this move was done with his approval. He says they are the favorite even over Cleveland and that is why he is waiting until his camp is over. Guy made me laugh since the Knicks are not even the favorite in NY to get Lebron. Then he said that if Lebron has a change of heart and goes to Cleveland, Wade will jump at the chance. Best laugh I had in a long time.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I was originally from Ohio, so I'm hoping LeBron stays in Cleveland. At the same time, I think LeBron can figure out that a max deal for six years is better. than max for five.

As far as I can tell, the Cavs are more likely to go to the finals than the Knicks. So all the Knicks can offer is the value of being in New York for doing endorsements. Considering all, I'm not sure he is hurting for endosement money.

I'm expecting that Shaq will be gone next season. I would not be surprised if the Cavs can get by the aging Celtics.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I think that's quite an assumption. Personally, I agree with the host that Amare is the best free agent power forward this season. He wasn't necessarily the most sought after but that's a function of his health, IMO. I have no problem with someone choosing Bosh over Amare but I don't think it's a slam dunk. IMO, Bosh may be a more complete player but Amare is a more dominant force.

Steve

I am with you. I could understand the argument either way. However, it's not like Amare is a stiff. He does improve that team and it a legit All-star IMO.

Actually wasn't it Diaw, Kurt and Tim Thomas all sharing time at the PF? If so, it took 3 players to make up for Amare and that should tell you something. Also, looking at what Diaw and Tim did since that season. It took 2 of those guys playing over the heads to do it too.

Last edited:

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Everyone plays over their heads when they come to the Suns. It's called the Nash effect. I wouldn't be surprised if Stoudemire gives little more to the Knicks than Lee did.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone plays over their heads when they come to the Suns. It's called the Nash effect. I wouldn't be surprised if Stoudemire gives little more to the Knicks than Lee did.

I got to give some credit to Nash but Nash wasn't giving Diaw the sudden ability to play with his back to the basket. Nash wasn't giving Tim Thomas the ability to play above the rim like he did that year. Both players seem to do things way beyond the Nash factor.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I got to give some credit to Nash but Nash wasn't giving Diaw the sudden ability to play with his back to the basket. Nash wasn't giving Tim Thomas the ability to play above the rim like he did that year. Both players seem to do things way beyond the Nash factor.

So you're saying we just got lucky they played bizarrely well that year? Diaw has ability, but his best year by far was the year he was in the starting line-up with Steve Nash. Same thing with Tim Thomas. Same thing with Marion, Bell, Q Rich, etc. The list goes on. The only person who's stock has risen since leaving the team was Joe Johnson and that's only cuz he's the focal point of the Hawks offense while only being a 3rd option here. Everyone else has gone downhill. Everyone. Pretty coincidental.

Last edited:

chickenhead

Reaction score
So far here in NY I haven't noticed any major celebration over Amare. Partially because the focus has been and is still on LeBron. Also, a number of radio hosts have been expressing trepidation about Amare's numbers without Nash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nash sets the table for a player better than anyone I've seen play. TT really helped the Suns with those 3 point daggers plus more. If Nash doesn't get the ball movement those 3's are not there. Diaw will always remain a rubiks cube.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash sets the table for a player better than anyone I've seen play. TT really helped the Suns with those 3 point daggers plus more. If Nash doesn't get the ball movement those 3's are not there. Diaw will always remain a rubiks cube.

Agreed. That's why I didn't mention the 3's. However, I had seen Tim Thomas go to the basket more then any other year I had seen him play. Tim Thomas was never known for a strong inside drives. The coaches probably told him he has to but I had not seen that out of Tim pre and post that years run.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Funny, but famous?

You must be registered for see images

Edit: Help me identify... I see Starks, Spike Lee, D'Antoni, Amare, Chris Rock, Fat Joe? Theres 3 I don't know.

Edit 2: Alan Houston. 2 more!

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off adjust the size of the picture, lol. 2nd I see Chris Rock in there.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
How do you adjust the picture size? It's just a link on my screen.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The guys on the left and right look like football players.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

Others have mentioned some of the issues, but Nash is 5 years older. Don't expect the same guy.

Diaw was an excellent fit for that roster, too, as he was a skilled big man. There is nobody like that on the roster now.

Furthermore, people need to stop bringing that team up in support of how the Suns will be fine sans Amare. That was a gimmicky team that way overachieved, but struggled against mediocre playoff opponents. Sure, they still almost backed into a title, but that wasn't exactly a dominant team.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score

Tim Thomas can play outside the arc, not above the rim.

Suns play up-tempo, space the floor and Nash gives up the ball. Everyone benefits playing with Nash. It helps if you're talented to begin with though, lol.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
The one on the far left is Justin Tuck DE of the Giants... Is the right Brandon Jacobs?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
The one on the far left is Justin Tuck DE of the Giants... Is the right Brandon Jacobs?

You're right on Justin Tuck. The one on the right is D'Brickashaw Ferguson according to Allan Houston's website. I guess they all went to dinner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard