Kingsbury Concedes?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What a difference a year makes...

"“I would retire,” Kingsbury said. “It’s part of the game, I couldn’t just sit there and watch it. A lot of people are great at that, managing games, and that’s not my strong suit. My strong suit is calling it and interacting with the quarterback. I’ve got to play to my strengths.”

LOL at bolded.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a difference a year makes...

"“I would retire,” Kingsbury said. “It’s part of the game, I couldn’t just sit there and watch it. A lot of people are great at that, managing games, and that’s not my strong suit. My strong suit is calling it and interacting with the quarterback. I’ve got to play to my strengths.”

LOL at bolded.

Exactly. Kliff is a terrible game manager. So if he isn't calling plays what good is he???

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I don't understand is this...

Kliff's offense has always been limited in its concepts but its become moreso.

What limited motion we had has got less. And what happened to RPOs?

RPOs used to be a staple of this offense and now we hardly do them at all. Even from shotgun we used to have a reasonable amount of play action, don't see that anymore.

It seems to be as vanilla as can be. No motion, no PA, no RPO. Just run 4 routes, shotgun snap to Kyler. That's it.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont think a change at play calling would fix the offense. It would help, sure, if it went to somebody who didn't try to get cute every time we're driving the ball. But the game planning is what needs to be changed. We play the same scheme every single game. Shotgun runs and shotgun passes. Last night the Eagles went into the game with a plan to put Micah Parsons in limbo, reading him on each play and making a decision on what to do based on his action. When is the last time our offense did anything specific to exploit a defensive player or scheme? I can't recall a time. It's the same offense every week and Kliff just calls plays off his sheet that he thinks might work.

The article that came out earlier this year where an anonymous NFC executive called our offense "arrogant" is right on. They think they can just keep running the same things over and over and simply beat the defense by executing it better. They got away with it a little bit because Hopkins was so dang good. But when the talent advantage isn't there, and the defense knows exactly what you're going to do because you do the same thing every week, well, we see the results in front of our eyes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

RPOs used to be a staple of this offense and now we hardly do them at all. Even from shotgun we used to have a reasonable amount of play action, don't see that anymore.

It seems to be as vanilla as can be. No motion, no PA, no RPO. Just run 4 routes, shotgun snap to Kyler. That's it.
We run a ton of RPOs still. We just don't notice them because Kyler doesn't do much to sell the play. One of the big rushing losses by Eno yesterday was an RPO where Kyler just noped into the run because he didn't want to deal with the pressure up the middle.

Wait until you see all the plays where Rondale just flares into the backfield to Kyler's right and stands there. Hard to be successful when you're playing 10 vs 11 out there. It's a catastrophe.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I’m assuming Kliff’s agent has told him what his realistic career coaching options are if he loses this gig. Likely involves a meager OC job in Ames, Iowa or Morgantown, WV spending his evening texting/recruiting high school players. Not exactly living in Paradise Valley and coaching the NFL.

You’re damn right he’ll look at all avenues.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m assuming Kliff’s agent has told him what his realistic career coaching options are if he loses this gig. Likely involves a meager OC job in Ames, Iowa or Morgantown, WV spending his evening texting/recruiting high school players. Not exactly living in Paradise Valley and coaching the NFL.

You’re damn right he’ll look at all avenues.
Yeah, Kliff joked only a couple weeks ago somebody could be on his team when he is coaching division III in a few years.

One thing I will give Kliff is I think he is actually pretty self aware.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We run a ton of RPOs still. We just don't notice them because Kyler doesn't do much to sell the play. One of the big rushing losses by Eno yesterday was an RPO where Kyler just noped into the run because he didn't want to deal with the pressure up the middle.

Wait until you see all the plays where Rondale just flares into the backfield to Kyler's right and stands there. Hard to be successful when you're playing 10 vs 11 out there. It's a catastrophe.
ive noticed a lot of moore just getting out in the backfield and standing there watching kyler. I would think he should keep moving, just like the other Wrs.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yeah, Kliff joked only a couple weeks ago somebody could be on his team when he is coaching division III in a few years.

One thing I will give Kliff is I think he is actually pretty self aware.
In reality somebody would give him a good college football TV gig. Keeps his PV house, makes a half million a year, travels 12 weekends a year to college towns where he can clean up. Not such a bad gig after banking $50-60mm from Tech and the Cardinals.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It's almost as though he's forgotten how to do his job. Weird.