Kingsbury and Keim get contract extensions

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's funny because Keim really excels at finding players like Antonio Hamilton. So I know he's able to find good players. I just don't understand how he's so horrible at drafting.
Either Kiem really doesn’t take all the input from scouting department and basically goes rogue, or the scouts just aren’t as good as other teams. But there is a big disconnect somewhere to whiff that much

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are holes, but I'd say it's no worse than many teams. Most teams have a similar number of holes at the moment.
I get it but we are not in any kind of position to fill these holes with quality.
It will be more of trying to catch lightning in a bottle. More of the same older and coming off injury type guys.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post.

As I said yesterday, firing Kliff and Keim likely leads to a worse future. Not a better one. No matter how unhappy you are.
I have no problem giving Keim and Kingsbury 2022 but why a 5 year extension?
The only thing is if we got 4-13 this year either Billy is going to be shelling out dual salaries to start all over or we are forced to follow the same path.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've heard other coaches say the exact opposite as to why they left the NFL and went back to college coaching. Saban says it is because you have more control and power as a college head coach.
CFB is all about recruiting. You don't have to necessarily outscheme an opponent when you have 10 five star recruits on your defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You definitely have more control and power as a college head coach. You also have more control and power -- and less responsibility -- when you're the head coach at a big-time program that's consistently in the running for national championships.

Saban probably has a bunch of recruiting coordinators and celebrity position coaches and coordinators that set the stage for him to walk in and close prospects (this is what he's almost legendary for).

At Texas Tech, Kliff is basically the only recruiting asset, and it's obvious he'd rather be in the film room or on the practice field than dealing with boosters and everything else. Managing The Program is the top job of a big-time CFB coach.
Great post, and this is pretty much why I don't care about his record at Texas Tech. Kingsbury flat out admits he hated the parts of college coaching that have nothing to do with actual coaching.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Either Kiem really doesn’t take all the input from scouting department and basically goes rogue, or the scouts just aren’t as good as other teams. But there is a big disconnect somewhere to whiff that much
I think the Cardinals miss more on personality of guys coming out of college. They suck at projecting college talent to the pros. Once they have some NFL tape, they aren't bad at finding talent.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
What's lost on all this is that no mention of VJ so it looks as of we're looking at more 1 and 10 runs of 18+ yards yay

Reaction score
Care to make a bet on whether or not that happens? I didn't think so. You know as well as I do that barring major changes, this team is in big trouble next year. We have the 2nd hardest schedule, the two teams in the super bowl last year were in our division, and outside of Kyler going super sayan, where are the improvements coming from? We have no money, and a GM that doesn't know how to use it anyway. Draft picks to save the day?

Huh? The Bengals are in our division?

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is not enough alcohol on earth to mask the level of disenfranchisement I feel this offseason. Our owner has made it clear that he cares about this stuff less than most of us do.

We have:
A coach who watches all the tape in the world but never seems to be able to fix the small stuff. From penalties to the 2-min drill.
A GM who grew up as a scout at the NFL level who never seems to consistently be able to scout talent. Has insane personal demons and a track record of NFL drafting futility.
An owner who values wins, but not enough to sacrifice profits for titles. A man who was gifted a franchise and doesn't seem to know how to win in this league.
A coaching staff that consistently let's down the fan base by not putting their players in the right place to be successful as seasons progress.
And a sales and marketing team that focuses on taking your season ticket deposits at the worst possible time regardless of how tone deaf it looks.

That's all that really needs to be said right now.
Doc: there’s nothing I could add to your post other than to say “hear, hear!” I’m flabbergasted—this franchise seems completely adrift and lost. I just don’t get any of this insanity emanating from MB now. Damn…the next five years are gonna be really rough and I’m now convinced this franchise will never win a championship during my lifetime.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And for years TCU and Baylor were Texas Tech’s company.
Until the weren't. TCU had an outstanding coach (read: recruiter) in Gary Patterson and Baylor invested a ton of money in football.

I find it a ridiculously stupid argument not to acknowledge how much recruiting was the issue at TT.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until the weren't. TCU had an outstanding coach (read: recruiter) in Gary Patterson and Baylor invested a ton of money in football.

I find it a ridiculously stupid argument not to acknowledge how much recruiting was the issue at TT.
I find it a ridiculously stupid argument to not hold Kliff accountable for being an actual “Head Coach” at either level. You dismiss his college record because he wanted no part of the job of recruiting and thus his teams sucked. And in the NFL, as Head Coach, he wanted (nor deserved) zero part of the defense and because of that, saddled himself with a mediocre at best DC, which has hampered the team as well.

When you can’t be a complete head coach at either level, you’re not a competent Head Coach, IMO snd it’s hurt him both in college and pros.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

No, that means recruiting was the issue with kliff. And it goes back to what I stated back when people were poo-pooing that, recruiting is a huge part of being a college coach. If kliff ignored that detail of the job bc he didn’t like it, what’s to say he doesn’t do the same with details he doesn’t like (say . . . game management which continues as an issue in his third season) at the nfl level?

Just as you pointed out, TCU - arguably a more fringe team than Tech - was able to get past the recruiting hurdle. Kliff never did.

And let’s not rewrite history . . . Kliff didn’t leave Tech bc he didn’t want to recruit anymore. He got CANNED. So people a LOT more familiar with his coaching and with a LOT more riding on the line than we have basically said, “nope, not a good enough coach.”

Frankly I’m amazed at the amount of free pass kliff gets from some here.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
But what if cards miss poffs or meltdown next yr i like kliff but cards should have waited
This is what you get when you have an owner who seemingly misses the point at every critical juncture.

MB > BB sure, but I also prefer when my dog takes a solid dump over blowing ass across my back patio. Either way, it's still dog ish.

I may be dead wrong, but the team became toilet fodder once little Mikey bought HIS 737. Tell me I'm wrong...

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I'm marking these responses, if this team actually starts winning, some here will have little to pivot from where going on a crow diet will offer little absolution haha. I have no idea how this is going to play out, because I still think Kingsbury and Murray can and will get better, but I think Keim is a hopeless cause at drafting and drafting is what this team is going to have to rely on once that hobbit gets Smaug's treasure extension taking up a ton of salary cap space. Extending Keim is what keeps this team mediocre
You can mark my response bro, but im not eating an effing thing until the season is complete.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ouchie, you wrote, "Frankly I’m amazed at the amount of free pass kliff gets from some here."

I don't know for sure what you mean by "free pass", but, from what I read on here, I think it is just the opposite.

He's our coach and I think I plan to support him, for whatever that's worth. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And for years TCU and Baylor were Texas Tech’s company.
Totally fair! They each found unique edges for recruiting:

TCU decided to become the School that Cares About Defense

Baylor became the School That Doesn’t Care How Many Women You Assault

Kliff was positioned to out Big XII Texas, OKU and OK State and was never going to manage it. Sad!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The thought of Keim extended makes this a difficult offseason to get excited about.

At least before I could think Keim would be desperate to find young talent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen