Kickoffs: The Bears working against their cause.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Da Bears.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/6860184/the-chicago-bears-abide-one-nfl-new-rules

I guess the Bears don't like the new "kickoff from the 35" rule. They tested the rule to see if you HAVE TO kick from the 35 or if you could kick deeper if you wanted to, they kicked from the 30 yard line.

The NFL officials quickly interveened and said that team have to kick off from the 35 yard line for safety concerns.

Which I believe the NFL has a valid point, since in one of the two kickoffs from the 30 yard line, a Bears player suffered an injury.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Da Bears.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/6860184/the-chicago-bears-abide-one-nfl-new-rules

I guess the Bears don't like the new "kickoff from the 35" rule. They tested the rule to see if you HAVE TO kick from the 35 or if you could kick deeper if you wanted to, they kicked from the 30 yard line.

The NFL officials quickly interveened and said that team have to kick off from the 35 yard line for safety concerns.

Which I believe the NFL has a valid point, since in one of the two kickoffs from the 30 yard line, a Bears player suffered an injury.

The problem with that though, is that the kickoffs started at the 40 and was moved back to make the game more exciting back to the 35 and then to the 30.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Mark my words, the teams will work this new rule to their advantage and it will result in more injuries. The kickoff defenders now get pushed up 5 more yards, so it amounts to a head start from last year. The kickers will kick the balls higher and shorter to let them get down field.

It will be like a punt, except in a kickoff situation, the return man will HAVE to catch the ball, setting him up to get killed.

The average starting point will probably be less than last year's and the number of collisions will increase.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mark my words, the teams will work this new rule to their advantage and it will result in more injuries. The kickoff defenders now get pushed up 5 more yards, so it amounts to a head start from last year. The kickers will kick the balls higher and shorter to let them get down field.

It will be like a punt, except in a kickoff situation, the return man will HAVE to catch the ball, setting him up to get killed.

The average starting point will probably be less than last year's and the number of collisions will increase.

Don't you think that teams will simply kick the ball into the endzone to reduce the possibility of a return? That's what I'd do.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Don't you think that teams will simply kick the ball into the endzone to reduce the possibility of a return? That's what I'd do.

It's a risk/reward thing. Under previous rules a "typical" kickoff that was fielded a yard or 2 deep into the endzone would be taken out and it seemed about half the time would end up at the 18-22 yard line anyways. If teams were to kick higher balls with the goal of it being fielded, it would make sense that teams would often pin the other team inside the 20. If you really have faith in your coverage team, it might make sense to do that as coaches are constantly talking about the value of field position.

Regardless, I think another result of the change is that there will be an increase in onside attempts. The risk was reduced and the reward increased. Now teams will have to get at least a 1st down to be in FG range after a failed onside attempt, and 15-20 yards for the FG to be in the "safe" zone. Meanwhile, a successful onside attempt now puts you approximately 20 yards out of FG range instead of 25.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's a risk/reward thing. Under previous rules a "typical" kickoff that was fielded a yard or 2 deep into the endzone would be taken out and it seemed about half the time would end up at the 18-22 yard line anyways. If teams were to kick higher balls with the goal of it being fielded, it would make sense that teams would often pin the other team inside the 20. If you really have faith in your coverage team, it might make sense to do that as coaches are constantly talking about the value of field position.

Regardless, I think another result of the change is that there will be an increase in onside attempts. The risk was reduced and the reward increased. Now teams will have to get at least a 1st down to be in FG range after a failed onside attempt, and 15-20 yards for the FG to be in the "safe" zone. Meanwhile, a successful onside attempt now puts you approximately 20 yards out of FG range instead of 25.

I was thinking the same thing. Some people will say there they're weren't more onside kicks when the kickoff was from the 35 or 40 before but I think coaches aren't as reluctant to try the onside kick now.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

My thinking exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.