Khalil Mack on the block?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ouch 2 first rounders for a guy who made 10.5 sacks last year. don't get me wrong Mack was a beast last season. he caused havoc in every game I watched him play so that is more important than the sack total, but if he does not perform to the level of his contract this will be awful for Chicago. it's hard for one player to be worth 2 first round picks no matter how good they are...

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No,being literal would mean that two of the four new guys were actually trades and not gained through free agency. Peters and Cooks were acquired by trades, Suh and Talib were gained through FA. We've had the youngest team for a lot of years in a row, but often teams get FA's when they are going for a Championship, to fill out the roster.

We don't need luck.

Ok

Rams1Fan

Rookie
Reaction score
Are you serious? Ok you know what your right you guys didn't go crazy in free agency like no team in recent memory...well 2011 dream team Eagles.

Are you really that literal.

Good luck with your home grown team.
Suh was the only FA. And since he was cut by fins he will no factor in compensatory picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouch 2 first rounders for a guy who made 10.5 sacks last year. don't get me wrong Mack was a beast last season. he caused havoc in every game I watched him play so that is more important than the sack total, but if he does not perform to the level of his contract this will be awful for Chicago. it's hard for one player to be worth 2 first round picks no matter how good they are...

Two first round picks AND the largest contract for a defense player in league history.

Does this even make the Bears a likely playoff team, or even a top 2 team in their division? Unless Mack injures Rogers, probably not.

The Bears are dumb, this trade was dumb. It could maybe be justified as a "push over the hump" move by a good team. A team in the state the Bears are should not be throwing around record contracts and 1st round picks.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two first round picks AND the largest contract for a defense player in league history.

Does this even make the Bears a likely playoff team, or even a top 2 team in their division? Unless Mack injures Rogers, probably not.

The Bears are dumb, this trade was dumb. It could maybe be justified as a "push over the hump" move by a good team. A team in the state the Bears are should not be throwing around record contracts and 1st round picks.

I really was pushing hard for Mack but if SK would of gave up that much I would of been pissed. You give up stuff like that when your moving up in the draft to get your QBOTF not a good linebacker.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the Bears were dumb for trading for Mack. They have to go up against Aaron Rodgers, and now have the defense to give themselves a chance. Also, have to go up against Stafford and Cousins. Seems they have a plan.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Bears were dumb for trading for Mack. They have to go up against Aaron Rodgers, and now have the defense to give themselves a chance. Also, have to go up against Stafford and Cousins. Seems they have a plan.
I can’t believe people are trying to spin this as a loss for Chicago. Trading away picks doesn’t matter if you already have your QBotF, already have a solid group of players, & is going to a team with bad personnel. Which the Bears managed to hit on all 3. Not to mention, the guy is a generational player as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t believe people are trying to spin this as a loss for Chicago. Trading away picks doesn’t matter if you already have your QBotF, already have a solid group of players, & is going to a team with bad personnel. Which the Bears managed to hit on all 3. Not to mention, the guy is a generational player as well.

When the Bears go 5-11 because they're deficient all over the roster we can reevaluate whether this is a loss.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was a smart trade for Gruden. I wouldn’t want to make Mack the highest paid player in the league. He is good but he wasn’t game changing good on a consistent basis.

With the extra draft picks Gruden can now build the team quicker in his own image. Sure his defense takes a hit this year but the defense is more than one player. He’ll just have to treat it like he lost Mack to an injury for the season and move on from him next year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the Bears go 5-11 because they're deficient all over the roster we can reevaluate whether this is a loss.
You will not find too many weaknesses on that roster. Probably CB2, but that’s it. It all hinges on Trubisky. The Bears are reminiscent of the Rams coming into last season.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it was a smart trade for Gruden. I wouldn’t want to make Mack the highest paid player in the league. He is good but he wasn’t game changing good on a consistent basis.

With the extra draft picks Gruden can now build the team quicker in his own image. Sure his defense takes a hit this year but the defense is more than one player. He’ll just have to treat it like he lost Mack to an injury for the season and move on from him next year.
He literally was the only player worth watching on that Raider defense. Offenses could literally just focus on him & their lives would be a lot easier. He still dominated. Now you put him on a team where he won’t be the only focus of attention? Jesus.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a ballsy move to say the least. I think the bears are going to surprise a lot of people . It gives Vic fangio a great set of linebackers similar to what he had in San Francisco. Their front 3 isn’t bad either but perhaps thin on depth. That being said sooner or later they are going to pay the piper when you pay a linebacker 1/8th of your salary cap.

Rams1Fan

Rookie
Reaction score

Why wait till now to trade Mack? If they traded him before the 2018 draft they I bet they could have gotten Clevelands 4th overall as part of the deal. As of now they have no idea how good or bad the bears two #1's will be.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wait till now to trade Mack? If they traded him before the 2018 draft they I bet they could have gotten Clevelands 4th overall as part of the deal. As of now they have no idea how good or bad the bears two #1's will be.

My whole thought process was to get Khalil [signed]," McKenzie said Saturday, via NBC Sports Bay Area. "It was at the end, in the final hour, that it just hit. It hit hard and heavy. It was not a plan to trade him at all."

Oakland's decision to move Mack, however, ultimately came down to the inability between the team and Mack's representation to reach an agreement on the bottom line.

"We will pay top dollar," McKenzie said, via NBC Sports Bay Area. "We couldn't get around giving Khalil what he wanted. We will pay top dollar to top players.

"We just could not get it worked out with Khalil. When it seemed like it was going that way, we decided to make a move with the trade. We will be able attract players. ... We'll find a way to continue to play good football. We're not worried about the outside perception of free agency. We will get free agents in here when it's time to do that and we will keep our own. Sometimes you can't keep them all. That's just the way it goes."

Lorenzo

Reaction score

true I've seen Jerry make this type of trade a few times. It probably only works if your the team getting the two first round picks.

Rams1Fan

Rookie
Reaction score

That is just Mackenzie not wanting to admit to the press that they were never going to sigh Mack because they don't have the cash.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This is like the old swipe of the credit card. Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones have done this for years and look where it has gotten them. Trading the picks won’t hurt them now it will hurt them a few years down the road when those players will be needed and mack’s contract is up or a salary cap hit..depending on how it is structured. And by then Rodgers may be on his way out too. And the bottom line is that if Mack is not all pro for a few years he will be a scape goat for the bears fan base.

Last edited:

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score

Well, read what fans say about this...Gruden is hated by his fans and his team has not played a regular season game yet....
http://www.blackreign.net/raidernat...ney-leave-on-the-same-plane-with-davis.11156/
http://www.blackreign.net/raidernation/index.php?threads/who’s-“out”.11159/
http://www.blackreign.net/raidernation/index.php?threads/mark-davis-—-just-leave.11161/

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hm I understand Grudens logic, he thinks this year he can't win much, so he can spend every penny on Khalil Mack or trade him and build a new better roster.

Gruden isn't a Carr fan from what I get, so after all, he will try to get his QB next year in the draft, get an actual O-line that keeps the QB up and a running game and a mediocre to good D.

He needs a DE/CB/S/LB/DT/OL/RB and QB .. now he needs another LB ... but with spending ~160 Millions he wouldn't be able to get anything done.

You don't win SB with 1 guy expect for a great QB maybe ... all it takes is a team, if the team is mediocre at best, you want get over the hump with 1 player.

So from my standpoint, I can understand the logic behind the move, will the common fan understand that? Maybe.
Was it the right move? Maybe, all depends on Grudens/McKenzies drafting in the next 3 years. If they hit 2-3 home runs, No one will remind the Khalil Mack trade as bad.

In the End the NFL has many stories that go both ways, the Lambs didn't draft that good with the RGIII trade but decent enough to be now contenders, but we will see how this story ends in 2-5 years, if the Bears don't go anywhere in the next 4 years, the winner is Gruden by default.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hm I understand Grudens logic, he thinks this year he can't win much, so he can spend every penny on Khalil Mack or trade him and build a new better roster.

Gruden isn't a Carr fan from what I get, so after all, he will try to get his QB next year in the draft, get an actual O-line that keeps the QB up and a running game and a mediocre to good D.

He needs a DE/CB/S/LB/DT/OL/RB and QB .. now he needs another LB ... but with spending ~160 Millions he wouldn't be able to get anything done.

You don't win SB with 1 guy expect for a great QB maybe ... all it takes is a team, if the team is mediocre at best, you want get over the hump with 1 player.

So from my standpoint, I can understand the logic behind the move, will the common fan understand that? Maybe.
Was it the right move? Maybe, all depends on Grudens/McKenzies drafting in the next 3 years. If they hit 2-3 home runs, No one will remind the Khalil Mack trade as bad.

In the End the NFL has many stories that go both ways, the Lambs didn't draft that good with the RGIII trade but decent enough to be now contenders, but we will see how this story ends in 2-5 years, if the Bears don't go anywhere in the next 4 years, the winner is Gruden by default.
I guess if we see the Bears and the Raiders in the AFCC a couple times then we can say it was a win/win deal

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

From all I have heard he is a Carr fan :)

Last edited:

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

The raiders still have to draft well to make it worthwhile. The Rams thought they fleeced the Redskins until they figured out they couldn't draft worth a damn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson