Kelly Oubre...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He went 3-14 in the opener. Golden State is in for a LONG season.

They're not as bad as they looked last night they had no Draymond and it was their first real game in almost 300 days. Draymond keys their defense and he's also the defacto PG with Klay out and Steph being both the 1 and the 2. Didn't help that Steph couldn't buy a shot

They're not going to be the 5 finals in a row version of the Warriors but I'd be pretty surprised if they're bad.

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are guys, once traded from your team, whom you wish will quickly fade away (*cough Chriss) and then there are guys like Oubre. I will NEVER wish ill will on Oubre. The guy totally changed the culture of the org while he was here. Guys were hyped up to play with him and he brought a swag to this team that the owner seemingly usurped away. He was even rocking the new Valley alternates before the trade was announced. He can score 50 every night and I'd be ecstatic for him, as long as it's not against us.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Oubre and wish him well. I'm just a little glad he had a bad opening night on national TV since he did badmouth the organization on his way out. I know he directed things at Sarver but I thought it was petty that he waited until he was deal to Golden State to take shots. He could have done it in the 3-4 days he was part of OKC's roster but waiting made it seem a little petty. Oh well. I hope he recovers now and does well unless he plays the Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Oubre and wish him well. I'm just a little glad he had a bad opening night on national TV since he did badmouth the organization on his way out. I know he directed things at Sarver but I thought it was petty that he waited until he was deal to Golden State to take shots. He could have done it in the 3-4 days he was part of OKC's roster but waiting made it seem a little petty. Oh well. I hope he recovers now and does well unless he plays the Suns.

Yeah I'm not going to hate on him but he moved himself into my "I couldn't care less" group. I don't think he's a bad guy, he just burned a bridge unnecessarily. To me, more than anything, I think he was just kissing up to Green through Draymond's buddy Chriss.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
They're not as bad as they looked last night they had no Draymond and it was their first real game in almost 300 days. Draymond keys their defense and he's also the defacto PG with Klay out and Steph being both the 1 and the 2. Didn't help that Steph couldn't buy a shot

They're not going to be the 5 finals in a row version of the Warriors but I'd be pretty surprised if they're bad.
Not to poo poo on the former champs but they are in deep trouble.

They are 1-5 with Steph and without Klay going back to last season. They got beat by an average of 18.4 points in those losses.

Steph will be put on his butt around 10 times per game as teams will target him. He will get beat into the ground and I'll be surprised if he holds up.

As mentioned, Oubre and Wiggins are dead ends on O. They don't fit the GS mold. It's kinda surprising that they are there.

Wiseman, like all big men, will take time to develop. AND he's going to have to prove he has the heart to be an NBA player.

Green has to get healthy and STAY healthy. But even so, I don't see him helping this team win all that much.

Again, they played exceptional basketball in the past. But now they will be hard pressed to be a .500 team and are more likely a .400 team (Especially in this West).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to poo poo on the former champs but they are in deep trouble.

They are 1-5 with Steph and without Klay going back to last season. They got beat by an average of 18.4 points in those losses.

Steph will be put on his butt around 10 times per game as teams will target him. He will get beat into the ground and I'll be surprised if he holds up.

As mentioned, Oubre and Wiggins are dead ends on O. They don't fit the GS mold. It's kinda surprising that they are there.

Wiseman, like all big men, will take time to develop. AND he's going to have to prove he has the heart to be an NBA player.

Green has to get healthy and STAY healthy. But even so, I don't see him helping this team win all that much.

Again, they played exceptional basketball in the past. But now they will be hard pressed to be a .500 team and are more likely a .400 team (Especially in this West).

Too early for me to say. When Draymond can play and we see what sort of shape he's in I'll have a better idea. Obviously neither Oubre or Wiggins are close in shooting to Klay. So they're going to have to find different ways to win. On Steph, he gets put on his butt 10 times a game as it is, the way to play the Warriors for years has been to beat up Steph and try and wear him out, it rarely worked in the past but that was usually with Klay, we'll find out now without Klay how it goes.

Draymond is the key to the team if he's in shape and good, he's such a good passer, defender etc he allows Steph to play off the ball more. It's much tougher to double Steph off the ball.

They looked terrible in the first game we'll see how they look when Draymond is back. If he's out of shape yeah could be a long year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too early for me to say. When Draymond can play and we see what sort of shape he's in I'll have a better idea. Obviously neither Oubre or Wiggins are close in shooting to Klay. So they're going to have to find different ways to win. On Steph, he gets put on his butt 10 times a game as it is, the way to play the Warriors for years has been to beat up Steph and try and wear him out, it rarely worked in the past but that was usually with Klay, we'll find out now without Klay how it goes.

Draymond is the key to the team if he's in shape and good, he's such a good passer, defender etc he allows Steph to play off the ball more. It's much tougher to double Steph off the ball.

They looked terrible in the first game we'll see how they look when Draymond is back. If he's out of shape yeah could be a long year.

Its not so much that Wiggins and Oubre aren't good shooters or as good as Klay, they're both iso scorers and that doesn't fit with how the Warriors have won the past few years. Having one of them is ok but accommodating both is too much. Especially with Oubre in a contract year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not so much that Wiggins and Oubre aren't good shooters or as good as Klay, they're both iso scorers and that doesn't fit with how the Warriors have won the past few years. Having one of them is ok but accommodating both is too much. Especially with Oubre in a contract year.

Oh I get it, I'm just saying they're going to have to play differently because they can't rely on Steph AND Klay getting hot from 3 and extending the defense for everyone else. That's the part I think people miss about the Warriors, it's not just all the 3's those 2 made, or with Durant those 3. It's that defenses had to extend out further it changed the geometry on defense so the other guys on the floor had more room to operate. A guy like Draymond helps because if the ball is in his hands, you can play Steph off the ball more, if teams try to double Steph, it's 4 on 3 and you can again get room for the other guys. If you watched the first game the Nets did what everyone will do, ran a 2nd defender at Steph and made him give the ball up. So he had double digit assists, but an off shooting game because of all that defensive attention. They can do that without Draymond there is nobody else to run the offense.

I'm not a Wiggins fan never have been, of the 2 I prefer Oubre because he's tougher.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe if Oubre keeps this up we can resign him next off-season for cheap and he'll settle for a bench role.

He's someone who I think is negatively effected by the empty arenas. He seemed to thrive on the crowd involvement last year. Since he didn't play in the bubble, this is his first crack at playing in front of an empty arena and he's definitely struggling.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
When there were Oubre for #2 rumors (which were bogus in the first place) I said no way cause they already have an Oubre without the personality.

Well:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre is trying too hard to make an impact on the team right away, like he did so much with us.
Then again he was never good at playmaking and passing, that inability effects his shot taking..err shot missing. Was never a good 3pt shooter by nba standards. I’m not sure what everyone was expecting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got nothing but love for Oubre. Dude balled hard for us and brought a little swag to the team for the first time in years.

glad to see him playing well... against everyone but us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith I see Oubre's numbers are good, can you give us a little more insight into how he's helped the Warriors of late?

He's been consistent. He has played really well on both ends, defending, rebounding and he's figured out where his best spots are to shoot 3's and he stays there, and he's figured out he's good at step in 3's not off the bounce 3's.

The NBA is just that way, not that long ago there were rumors he was going to be traded, Lonzo Ball was going to be traded, possibly for each other. Both are still starting, playing the best ball of their careers, and the talk has died down. And yet it's still possible both get traded.

My one concern with Oubre right now is I fear his surge was in part because Wiseman and Looney were out so he was playing more of a SF and even PF than a guard spot. now with Wiseman and Looney back, he's going to be more of a 2/3 than a 3/4. I have the same concern with Wiggins they were both playing up a position regularly because Draymond was always the 5. Will they be as effective when they move back down a spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been consistent. He has played really well on both ends, defending, rebounding and he's figured out where his best spots are to shoot 3's and he stays there, and he's figured out he's good at step in 3's not off the bounce 3's.

The NBA is just that way, not that long ago there were rumors he was going to be traded, Lonzo Ball was going to be traded, possibly for each other. Both are still starting, playing the best ball of their careers, and the talk has died down. And yet it's still possible both get traded.

My one concern with Oubre right now is I fear his surge was in part because Wiseman and Looney were out so he was playing more of a SF and even PF than a guard spot. now with Wiseman and Looney back, he's going to be more of a 2/3 than a 3/4. I have the same concern with Wiggins they were both playing up a position regularly because Draymond was always the 5. Will they be as effective when they move back down a spot.

I think your concerns are justified. IMO, Oubre is a 3/4. He is definitely not a guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with Mainstreet, Kelly is a 3/4 for sure and probably plays his best as a small 4. Trying to use him as a 2 is a mistake. He can handle that defensively but offensively its not his game, at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with Mainstreet, Kelly is a 3/4 for sure and probably plays his best as a small 4. Trying to use him as a 2 is a mistake. He can handle that defensively but offensively its not his game, at all.

IT's really a function of the roster.

Last night they started Looney, Wiggins, Oubre, Steph and Draymond. On that lineup, Oubre is the 2 at times, he can guard 2, 3 or 4 but offensively he's clearly not a 2. Wiggins can play some there too he's improved his outside shooting but in that lineup the 2nd best shooter is Oubre. He had a nice game 17 points 7-15 floor but he does get different shots when Draymond is the 5 and they have a smaller lineup.

Wiseman played well, Looney did his role, and Paschall was really sharp off the bench but it absolutely shifts the roles of Oubre and Wiggins now that Looney and Wiseman are back. Hopefully they can figure out how to keep both of them getting the same kind of solid shots they got before when the lineup was smaller.

Wiseman was really good last night, 11 and 5 fouled out in only 18 minutes, plus 7 with him on the floor. So I'm glad he's back I am just curious how it will work for Oubre and Wiggins

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with what Oubre said. He was asked about coming off the bench when Klay returns the team and he said
I can offer a lot more than coming off the bench,” which is the sort of outlook you should want from a young player, IMO. That's also how Bob Myers, their GM, views Kelly's comment. He spoke up and supported Oubre.

Larrybrownsports.com/basketball/warriors-gm-bob-myers-defends-kelly-oubre-comments-starting/576117

I can see the other side but this seems to be getting spun into more than it is. I found it odd how Kelly's comment wasn't included for proper context and how the writer mentioned this was said right after the trade deadline, like his comments indicated he wanted or should be dealt.

Of course expressing that sentiment could be disruptive and toxic if said a certain way but I don't see how he said it as an issue. Klay also isnt returning next week or even next month, he wont be back until next season. Kelly is a free agent this offseason so the question of backing Klay up seems odd at this point unless they're specifically talking about next season and if Kelly plans on resigning with the Warriors. I think this is just drama that wouldn't be a story if the Warriors weren't a recent Dynasty. It also gives their fans something to talk about other than being blown out by 55 or whatever it was to Toronto a few days ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose