Kelly Oubre...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
verb (used with object)
to vote against (a candidate, applicant, etc.).
to exclude socially; ostracize:The whole town blackballed them.
to reject (a candidate) by placing a blackball in the ballot box.
noun
a negative vote, especially in deciding on an applicant or candidate.
a black ball placed in a ballot box signifying a negative vote.

Context matters JC. If you really think he just meant "voting against" than I don't know what to tell you because that would make almost every action any of us ever takes against another person to be "blackballing". If the league owners voted against him because of his pro-Trump stance, that might be black balling especially if it was orchestrated or done in secret. But for a player to simply use his negotiated rights to sign elsewhere or request a trade? That's hardly black balling.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@SunsFanFirst , @JCSunsfan

SunsFanFirst, I did answer your question in post #794 regarding, "What rights dont they have?"

There is a difference in having legal rights by law and having those same laws applied fairly to black people fighting against racism.

I invite you and others to discuss your thoughts on the Politics and Religion forum perhaps under the topic Police Violence.

Here is a link:

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/police-violence.269586/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@SunsFanFirst , @JCSunsfan

SunsFanFirst, I did answer your question in post #794 regarding, "What rights dont they have?"

There is a difference in having legal rights by law and having those same laws applied fairly to black people fighting against racism.

I invite you and others to discuss your thoughts on the Politics and Religion forum perhaps under the topic Police Violence.

Here is a link:

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/police-violence.269586/

Thanks for the invite, I don’t think I will acept. I live in the realm of politics and religion all day every day. I come here to get away from all that. It’s my escape for a short time. I would like my opinions on the Suns to be viewed distinctly from my views on politics and religion. Based upon the present climate that is impossible if I enter into that discussion. Please no need to comment on this or continue this discussion here.

I like all—most all— the posters on this board— even the ones I disagree with most often. I have been a poster here for the better part of two decades. I would like to continue in the same way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the invite, I don’t think I will acept. I live in the realm of politics and religion all day every day. I come here to get away from all that. It’s my escape for a short time. I would like my opinions on the Suns to be viewed distinctly from my views on politics and religion. Based upon the present climate that is impossible if I enter into that discussion. Please no need to comment on this or continue this discussion here.

I like all—most all— the posters on this board— even the ones I disagree with most often. I have been a poster here for the better part of two decades. I would like to continue in the same way.

The invite was intended as a polite way to redirect political discussion on the Suns forum to the Politics and Religion forum for those intent on continuing the conversation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll comment on this anyway. I completely understand your feelings on this subject and can't blame you a bit. I stayed away from the P&R board for years for that same reason.

Though I agree with much of what is posted in the Politics and Religion Forum, I usually stay away from the recommended "Police Violence" thread. IMO it gives a very one-sided view of a real problem. It might make more sense if it was paired by a thread showing all violence that seems unwarranted on the surface, instead of focusing on just one side of a real problem facing this nation - that being, violence

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So hey, how about Kelly Oubre? I think he will do well for the Warrior.

My concern is Kelly will turn into the player I always envisioned he would become with the Suns.

I guess we will find out. For sure, I'm not looking forward when the Suns play against him when they face the Warriors.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My concern is Kelly will turn into the player I always envisioned he would become with the Suns.

I guess we will find out. For sure, I'm not looking forward when the Suns play against him when they face the Warriors.
What did you envision he would become?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you envision he would become?

I liked Kelly before the Suns acquired him. I always thought he had the potential to become a third pillar or star for the team. The third piece if you will alongside Booker and Ayton.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I liked Kelly before the Suns acquired him. I always thought he had the potential to become a third pillar or star for the team. The third piece if you will alongside Booker and Ayton.

I tend to agree. One thing about Kelly is that he does everything well enough. He is not a great defender, but he is a good defender. He is not a great shooter, but he shoots well enough. He is pretty good getting to the hoop and scoring in the paint. He can even create his own shot. The only issue is that he is not particularly good passer/ play-maker. If he can get just a little bit better at a couple of these things, he could be a really scary player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suppose. I think Mikal has as much or more potential than Kelly and that is the point of the trade. I am one of the few who will miss Rubio more than Oubre.

I kinda wish there was a way to keep Rubio while trading for Paul, but I guess that was not possible. A CP3, Booker, Paul three guard rotation with Rubio coming off the bench would have been ideal. Both Book and Paul can play off ball when Rubio is in, and then there would have been the depth to weather potential injuries.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose. I think Mikal has as much or more potential than Kelly and that is the point of the trade. I am one of the few who will miss Rubio more than Oubre.

I kinda wish there was a way to keep Rubio while trading for Paul, but I guess that was not possible.

I would have kept Rubio and Oubre and added to the core players.

If the Suns were intent on not paying Oubre no matter what, I would have traded him for a first round pick not taking salary back unless it was a player I wanted. Then used the extra money to further improve the team.

I would have preferred to keep Rubio unless trading for Chris Paul is what it took to keep Devin Booker happy.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have kept Rubio and Oubre and added to the core players.

If the Suns were intent on not paying Oubre no matter what, I would have traded him for a first round pick not taking salary back unless it was a player I wanted. Then used the extra money to further improve the team.

I would have preferred to keep Rubio unless trading for Chris Paul is what it took to keep Devin Booker happy.
I think I agree with all of this. There was talk that the Warriors were interested in Oubre and the #10 pick for the #2 pick. The #2 pick in this draft is not what it would have been in other drafts, so I am not sure how good of a deal that would have been. Oubre and Smith for Wiseman is not that appealing to me. The slam dunk would have been to add CP3 without giving Rubio, but I think the salaries had to work.

You guys should give Gambo a little bit of credit. He said consistently before the draft that the Suns were NOT interested in Haliburton. Turns out he was dead right on that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I agree with all of this. There was talk that the Warriors were interested in Oubre and the #10 pick for the #2 pick. The #2 pick in this draft is not what it would have been in other drafts, so I am not sure how good of a deal that would have been. Oubre and Smith for Wiseman is not that appealing to me. The slam dunk would have been to add CP3 without giving Rubio, but I think the salaries had to work.

You guys should give Gambo a little bit of credit. He said consistently before the draft that the Suns were NOT interested in Haliburton. Turns out he was dead right on that.

I didn't see the opportunity to trade down from #2 so the idea of trading Oubre for the pick was not that attractive. If the Suns could have traded down with the pick it would have been more appealing. Trading Oubre for #2 would have been mostly a salary dump because I liked the 10th pick.

Maybe a third team could have been added to make the trade more attractive for everyone.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm happy the way it turned out.

I do think CP3 did have some 'draw' to the suns; Crowder most notably. Yes we did offer a longer contract than Miami, but he could have gone elsewhere. Then not to mention the guys we got from NO and Detroit. They played a decent amount of minutes on their respective teams and could be legit contributors to the team.

i'm not sure what percentage of it, is James Jones or having CP3 here.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

"I think it's good for him not to have to be over there no more," Chriss told the media Thursday. "The way they handle things is kind of wild. I feel for him with the situation he was in because that's kind of how I got traded out of Phoenix. I'm thankful that he's here and with an organization that truly wants him and wants him to be the best player that he can be and i'm glad to have him as a teammate."

Chriss' shot at the Suns comes on the heels of Oubre firing a shot across Phoenix's bow after being dealt to the Warriors.

"You just hit the nail on the head," Oubre told 95.7 The Game. "I can play for an owner -- somebody who actually cares about the organization and not just the perception of the organization on the media end of it. It's all about the foundation for me, man. You have a beautiful foundation, can build a beautiful
https://sports.yahoo.com/marquese-chriss-joins-warrior-kelly-162027861.html

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre already in trade rumors from VS. Lmao

Not seeing that in the Bay area what are the rumors?

Everything I hear is they love him. Like I said before he's one of those guys when he's on the other team you hate him, when he's on your team you love him. I'd expect Wiggins to be traded before Oubre.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not seeing that in the Bay area what are the rumors?

Everything I hear is they love him. Like I said before he's one of those guys when he's on the other team you hate him, when he's on your team you love him. I'd expect Wiggins to be traded before Oubre.

i could see both of them gone. GS whole system is based off movement and finding the open guy. Both Oubre and Wiggins are ball stoppers on offense

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I didn't get the news Oubre was traded to Golden State. I thought it was another team that got him and Rubio? Too busy to keep tabs on sports these days. Buffalo Bills are doing really well and all I've seen are highlights. If I watch a playoff game they'll probably lose, but I tell myself I cannot possibly affect the outcome of the game just by watching a recording several days later o_O

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get the news Oubre was traded to Golden State. I thought it was another team that got him and Rubio? Too busy to keep tabs on sports these days. Buffalo Bills are doing really well and all I've seen are highlights. If I watch a playoff game they'll probably lose, but I tell myself I cannot possibly affect the outcome of the game just by watching a recording several days later o_O

Suns traded Kelly Oubre Jr., Ricky Rubio, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque and a future first-round pick to OKC for Chris Paul and Abdel Nader.

Later OKC traded Rubio to the Timberwolves and Oubre to the Warriors.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The awful version of Oubre showed up for opening night. Taking putrid shots that barely graze the rim and doing his defensive routine where he gambles for steals while his man cuts back door for easy layups.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The awful version of Oubre showed up for opening night. Taking putrid shots that barely graze the rim and doing his defensive routine where he gambles for steals while his man cuts back door for easy layups.

He went 3-14 in the opener. Golden State is in for a LONG season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose