Kata willing to work anywhere

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
'Everyday player' at heart accepts backup role to Counsell

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 15, 2005 12:00 AM

As if dislocating his left shoulder and tearing his labrum two months into the 2004 season weren't bad enough, Diamondbacks infielder Matt Kata encountered more pain and suffering upon being placed on the disabled list for the rest of the year.

"Once you get hurt, you become invisible pretty darn quick," he said.

It's the old out-of-sight, out-of-mind principle, Kata said. The mental drain of being a ghost instead of a productive ballplayer, he said, hurt more than his damaged shoulder.

Thanks to a rigorous rehabilitation, Kata's injury is behind him. His left shoulder might be stronger than his right. But there's a part of him that still feels like the Invisible Man, at least when it comes to who's going to be starting at second base in 2005.

The Diamondbacks basically handed the job to Craig Counsell when the popular infielder with the peculiar batting stance returned to the club this winter as a free agent. Arizona had dealt Counsell, primarily a shortstop most of his career, along with five other players to Milwaukee a year ago in the Richie Sexson trade.

That's when Kata said he felt he was ready to make the transformation from a "Baby Back" to an everyday major league player. A spot at second base had opened with the Sexson trade, seeing as how Junior Spivey was included in the package to the Brewers.

Crowded house

A month later, the Diamondbacks signed Roberto Alomar and gave him the job at second base.

"I've learned you can't take anything for granted in this game," said Kata, who hit .450 during spring training with five home runs and 16 RBIs in 25 exhibition games. "Coming up through my career, I've had to earn everything I've gotten. Even when the trade for Sexson went down and everybody looked at it like I was going to be the man (at second base), I wasn't taking it for granted.

"Because sure enough, going into spring, they made the Alomar deal and (former manager Bob) Brenly calls me up."

This time, it was a phone call from Bob Melvin, the new skipper. Things can change, but Melvin is on record as saying Counsell is penciled in as his starting second baseman, and Kata knows it.

That means he has to fight for backup playing time with Alex Cintron, who has moved over to second base from shortstop. And don't forget, the club still has another second baseman on the 40-man roster in Scott Hairston, who may move to the outfield.

The phone booth is packed.

"We'll find a way for everybody to get their at-bats," Melvin said.

"Matt Kata is a valuable player to our team," added General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr. "He'll play, and he will contribute."

Kata said he would be a "team player" and fulfill whatever role he is assigned. Yes, he considers himself an everyday player at this stage, and when he gets his chance, "I'll settle in as an everyday player," he said. "But I also understand as a second- or third-year guy, you've got to work for your opportunity and wait for your opportunity."

'Second' chances

A starting spot opened for Kata in late April when Alomar was hit by a pitch and suffered a fractured right hand. But before Kata could get too comfortable, a season-ending injury wrecked his plans when he hurt his shoulder on an awkward dive for a ground ball May 29 at Dodger Stadium.

"It was really short grass, and it was dry," he said. "My knee stuck, and my arm was out there in a vulnerable position. It's a play I've made lots of times in my career, but it comes with the territory. You get a good jump on the ball, and you want to make the play."

Kata made the play, too, even if his throw to first didn't get the hitter in time. As he knelt on the ground, he knew something was wrong. His arm was dangling.

"I knew it was out of the socket, and I don't know why, but I was trying to put it back in myself like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon."

So much has happened since his injury. The Diamondbacks are on their fourth manager (if you include the four-day term of Wally Backman). Only one projected starter in the field (left fielder Luis Gonzalez) is back from last season's Opening Day lineup. There are new faces - and new expectations - everywhere.

Kata said the Diamondbacks can contend in the National League and put last season's dreadful 51-111 record to rest. But it won't be easy. Even if Arizona wins 30 more games than it did in '04, the Diamondbacks would finish at .500.

"If everyone clicks, has the year they're capable of having and does their job, it's going to be an exciting season," he said.

That's why Kata isn't interested in seeking a trade if he doesn't start at second base. He sees something special here and wants to be part of it, even if it means playing a lesser role.

"Whether I'm playing every day or coming off the bench, I'll be prepared and ready to go. I'm not going to sit and sulk," he said. "Teams win championships when everybody's on the same page. I think we'll have that this year."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0215kata0215.html

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
'Everyday player' at heart accepts backup role to Counsell ...
Kata said he would be a "team player" and fulfill whatever role he is assigned. Yes, he considers himself an everyday player at this stage, and when he gets his chance, "I'll settle in as an everyday player," he said. "But I also understand as a second- or third-year guy, you've got to work for your opportunity and wait for your opportunity."
All young players need to have the attitude that they are capable of being an everyday player, but Kata is likely to always be a utility guy.... playing everyday only if a team has injury problems or is especially weak at an infield slot.

AZZenny

Reaction score
It's true - but I've always appreciated Kata's attitude and work ethic. It's sinking in, as I watch the babybacks vanish, how hard it is to make it in the big leagues - so many things can derail a guy, from limited talent, to injuries, to bad coaching/ management decisions -

Reading the BA chat yesterday when someone listed all the hot OF prospects we have, and what will we do about the possible log jam, they commented how enormous the attrition is in the minors - in fact, maybe one or two of our hottest prospects will really make a splash, and the rest - well, most won't even stick. But they HAVE to have the drive and belief that they are real, everyday players. That means a load of shattered hopes and dreams. No wonder many guys would turn to performance enhancing drugs for even an imagined edge.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
The best teams understand that you need both quantity and quality. Braves are very good at understanding the importance of picking up prospects and foreign signings and even using low draft picks to pick up guys with signing problems and overpay them.

That is particularly true of pitching which is why they say "There's no such thing as a pitching prospect."

The more bullets you fire at the target the more likely you are to hit it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
It's true - but I've always appreciated Kata's attitude and work ethic. It's sinking in, as I watch the babybacks vanish, how hard it is to make it in the big leagues - so many things can derail a guy, from limited talent, to injuries, to bad coaching/ management decisions -

Reading the BA chat yesterday when someone listed all the hot OF prospects we have, and what will we do about the possible log jam, they commented how enormous the attrition is in the minors - in fact, maybe one or two of our hottest prospects will really make a splash, and the rest - well, most won't even stick. But they HAVE to have the drive and belief that they are real, everyday players. That means a load of shattered hopes and dreams. No wonder many guys would turn to performance enhancing drugs for even an imagined edge.

If we could get say a Chipper and Andrew Jones and maybe a John Smoltz out the lot I'd be happy.

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
I still think Hairston has some possibilities, .248 your first year isn't great, but could be a lot worse. I never hear mentioned though, any thoughts why? other than poor fielding

AZZenny

Reaction score
I was told by someone inside the organization: "Hands of stone, Head of stone." They started to doubt if he's teachable. At first they thought it was misplaced ego, but after awhile... :stupid:

(as a friend of mine said, "With his pedigree and bat, the best he could do was Central AZ College?")

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys! Just want to reconnect and say hey. Getting settled in and finally have the shipment with the computer.
Quick question- is Robbie Hammock still with the team? Not hearing or reading anything about him. Just curious.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FinleyLover said:
Hi guys! Just want to reconnect and say hey. Getting settled in and finally have the shipment with the computer.
Quick question- is Robbie Hammock still with the team? Not hearing or reading anything about him. Just curious.

He was released. However, he could still be signed to a minor league deal.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With Robbie's positive attitude, hitting ability, and versality, he could be a solid Major League utility guy with some club.

I hope he gets that opportunity.

But I don't believe he should ever put on Catchers gear again.

If he tries to stay in shape as a Catcher, he'll hurt himself again. If he does it in an emergency situation without preparation, the same thing would probably happen.