Jurecki and Graves Scared Me

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reading between the so-called lines of Graves' interview and Jurecki's follow up leads me to believe that we could very well have one of those "Kelly Stouffer" or "Clyde Duncan" experiences this year.

1. I think the reason why Graves didn't sign Marcus before the draft is because one of his mocks had Andre Johnson dropping to the Cards, and if so we'd take him. (Having Johnson and Robinson and McAddley and Gilmore would not guarantee the two high profile guys enough playing time).

2. Jurecki told a prospective mock draft "GM" - "Don't expect Kevin Williams to be around after #7 'wink-wink.' (suggesting that the Cards might pull a "Clyde" or "Kelly" and draft Williams - which would fit into Jurecki's comments earlier in the predraft period).

3. Graves continues to talk up the possibility of trading down if he feels the net positive impact on the roster of adding one or more round 1 -3 picks would be greater than if he drafted a better player at #6.

4. The only thing that settled my stomach a wee bit was Rod re-emphasizing that production on the field is more important than all star games and workout numbers.

Nevertheless, I get the nervous feeling the team is walking on quicksand.

How about:

6. Kevin Williams
37. Simms

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Reading between the so-called lines of Graves' interview and Jurecki's follow up leads me to believe that we could very well have one of those "Kelly Stouffer" or "Clyde Duncan" experiences this year.

1. I think the reason why Graves didn't sign Marcus before the draft is because one of his mocks had Andre Johnson dropping to the Cards, and if so we'd take him. (Having Johnson and Robinson and McAddley and Gilmore would not guarantee the two high profile guys enough playing time).

2. Jurecki told a prospective mock draft "GM" - "Don't expect Kevin Williams to be around after #7 'wink-wink.' (suggesting that the Cards might pull a "Clyde" or "Kelly" and draft Williams - which would fit into Jurecki's comments earlier in the predraft period).

3. Graves continues to talk up the possibility of trading down if he feels the net positive impact on the roster of adding one or more round 1 -3 picks would be greater than if he drafted a better player at #6.

4. The only thing that settled my stomach a wee bit was Rod re-emphasizing that production on the field is more important than all star games and workout numbers.

How about:

6. Kevin Williams
37. Simms

If this team drafts Chris Simms I will throw up and decapitate Graves, then decapitate myself, and put my head on his body.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Jurecki and Graves Scared Me

Originally posted by cheesebeef
If this team drafts Chris Simms I will throw up and decapitate Graves, then decapitate myself, and put my head on his body.

You must be registered for see images attach

I THINK YOUR HEAD WOULD BE TOO BIG FOR HOWDY!!!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin

How about:

6. Kevin Williams
37. Simms

There might be a riot at the draft party...which would be cool since that would get the Cards so much needed PR.

They are walking on quicksand Jeff while trying to balance an elephant on their shoulders.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
The Simms pick is just rediculous. There is a bunch of talent in round two.

If you're going to take a quarterback, the most important position on the team, take a good one.

We'll then have a vet for three years with a third and second rounder below him. Does this make more sense than drafting Lefty at #6, sitting him for a year, then having a veteran in Blake as the backup for two years? Hell no.

If we draft Simms, we're looking at a total and complete crapshoot in two years, with practically no backup plan except for the guy who lost the starting job in the first place. What is McCown possibly going to offer Simms on the sideline? And Vise Versa?

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Re: Re: Jurecki and Graves Scared Me

Maybe you could do that before the draft and then call out.

LEFTWICH!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
There is zero chance this team drafts Chris Simms! If they do, it proves that they truly should not be running an NFL FRANCHISE. If Simms is drafted, and I were Mac, I would resign on the spot out of protest.

Not only are there better players that fill needs in round 2 but hell there are better QB's...Id Rather have Ragone or take a chance on Doresy (not in round 2 of course) than to grab Simms.

They seem to be running this team like a PR firm. Emmit Smith and Now a 'Simms' as well???

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
There is zero chance this team drafts Chris Simms! If they do, it proves that they truly should not be running an NFL FRANCHISE. If Simms is drafted, and I were Mac, I would resign on the spot out of protest.

Not only are there better players that fill needs in round 2 but hell there are better QB's...Id Rather have Ragone or take a chance on Doresy (not in round 2 of course) than to grab Simms.

They seem to be running this team like a PR firm. Emmit Smith and Now a 'Simms' as well???

They brought him in for an interview, and they know he's going in the second. I know they interview a lot of people, but that's just frightening.

So far the only qualities that he has that I've heard from the Cardinals is that he handles the media well, he's tall, and his dad was named Phil.
Hell, put me in front of a microphone, I'll be fine. I'm 6'3" and my dad's a friggin genius.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
They brought him in for an interview, and they know he's going in the second. I know they interview a lot of people, but that's just frightening.

So far the only qualities that he has that I've heard from the Cardinals is that he handles the media well, he's tall, and his dad was named Phil.
Hell, put me in front of a microphone, I'll be fine. I'm 6'3" and my dad's a friggin genius.

Yeah I know they brought him in for an interview. I am just trying to rationalize away the chance that they would actually draft him.

Hopefully the Bears will take the bullett out of the gun by drafting him ahead of AZ anyway!

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Do you really need any more proof that this organization is inept?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I know they brought him in for an interview. I am just trying to rationalize away the chance that they would actually draft him.

Hopefully the Bears will take the bullett out of the gun by drafting him ahead of AZ anyway!

Bears will choose Ragone...my prediction not fact.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11

If you're going to take a quarterback, the most important position on the team, take a good one.

We'll then have a vet for three years with a third and second rounder below him. Does this make more sense than drafting Lefty at #6, sitting him for a year, then having a veteran in Blake as the backup for two years? Hell no.
Versa?

thats what Im sayin!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't you think the Cardinals have finally learned that "reaching" for a player in the first round with the idea that they can sign him for less money, because he should have been a much later pick, does not work?

Trade down yes, you're better at selecting UDFA's anyway, but reach, no.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't know it it was Lewis or Jurecki but one of them said the final call on who we draft is Bidwill's.That goes to show you that Graves is nothing but a "yes" man and always will be.If that's the case,Suggs will be our guy.Bidwill always plays the hometown boy card to try and get butts in the stands.The signing of Plummer and drafting Pisarkiewics(sp.) shows that.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
....Graves is nothing but a "yes" man ....

You must be registered for see images

DID SOMEONE SUMMON THE GREAT HOWDY???

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know it it was Lewis or Jurecki but one of them said the final call on who we draft is Bidwill's.That goes to show you that Graves is nothing but a "yes" man and always will be.If that's the case,Suggs will be our guy.Bidwill always plays the hometown boy card to try and get butts in the stands.The signing of Plummer and drafting Pisarkiewics(sp.) shows that.
<p>Cbus---I listened very intently to the whole interview today and did not hear Bidwill's name mentioned even once. When did you hear this?

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
It was after Graves was off the air.They we're just talking amongst themselves and they said either Mike or Bill would have the final say.They could mean that Bidwill's have to approve the pick and the pick itself may be Graves' choice.But Grave is obviously going to pick someone to their liking.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I honestly think the reason teams are bringing Simms in for an interview is obvious. The guy is the perfect height, has a strong arm, great bloodlines, throws a tight spiral and was SO heavily touted out of HS that everyone is looking for a reason why his career at Texas was so inconsistent. there's several obvious ones, he sucks and can't play against good teams, his coaches sucked and booby trapped his career with a lame offense, he's just very unlucky.

The fact is the talent is so obvious that every NFL team wants to see for themselves in case there's just something obvious the Texas coaches missed that will allow THEM to fix Simms. I can't fault them although I agree I don't want to pick him at #37 because I think that's too high.

Nothing would shock me with Simms the talent is undeniable, maybe if Norm Chow had gone to Texas, Simms would have won the Heisman this year and Palmer would be begging someone to draft him in round 1?

I'm a major Simms' skeptic at the moment but I don't think interviewing him is a bad thing.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I don't hate the Simms idea.It's just that if we want a QB early then get Leftwich and be done with it.It's just so obvious to me.The guy was considered for the #1 overall pick and can be had at 6.Get him.I guess the same can be said about Suggs being considered for the#1 pick but Leftwich has always been mentioned at the top of the draft.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't hate the Simms idea.It's just that if we want a QB early then get Leftwich and be done with it.It's just so obvious to me.The guy was considered for the #1 overall pick and can be had at 6.Get him.I guess the same can be said about Suggs being considered for the#1 pick but Leftwich has always been mentioned at the top of the draft.

The Cardinals picked up Blake via free agency, so there is no need to pick up a QB with the #6 overall pick. Blake will be able to run the offense for 2 years while McCown and whoever develop.

I'm not sold on McCown so that is why I want the Cards to pick up another QB. Simms seems like the logical choice even though he has a bad rap amoung many fans. By having both Simms and McCown you will have an option at QB when the Cards move into the new Stadium.

Picking up Leftwich with such a high pick will put pressure on the Cards to start him right away. If they do he is doomed. If they can resist the temptation of throwing Leftwich into the fire, like the Oilers did with McNair, then I say OK draft the guy and let him grow knowing that you won't get anything out of him for a couple of years. The question is can they draft a potential franchise QB and wait for him to grow. Which will be hard to do seeing as Mac really needs to turn thing around this season or it may be his head on the chopping block. Thus he will want instant production out of his first round pick this year.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
draft Amare Stoudemire

Cards need to draft Amare Stoudemire. WOO HOO for rookie of the year, btw.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
The Cardinals picked up Blake via free agency, so there is no need to pick up a QB with the #6 overall pick. Blake will be able to run the offense for 2 years while McCown and whoever develop.

I'm not sold on McCown so that is why I want the Cards to pick up another QB. Simms seems like the logical choice even though he has a bad rap amoung many fans. By having both Simms and McCown you will have an option at QB when the Cards move into the new Stadium.

Picking up Leftwich with such a high pick will put pressure on the Cards to start him right away. If they do he is doomed. If they can resist the temptation of throwing Leftwich into the fire, like the Oilers did with McNair, then I say OK draft the guy and let him grow knowing that you won't get anything out of him for a couple of years. The question is can they draft a potential franchise QB and wait for him to grow. Which will be hard to do seeing as Mac really needs to turn thing around this season or it may be his head on the chopping block. Thus he will want instant production out of his first round pick this year.

I don't care about Coach Mac - I don't care what he wants in order to save his own ass - he has had years with this organization and this is his last in my opinion - draft for the franchise - not your defensive coach who's defense has ranked in the bottom 1/4 of the lague since he's been here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't care about Coach Mac - I don't care what he wants in order to save his own ass - he has had years with this organization and this is his last in my opinion - draft for the franchise - not your defensive coach who's defense has ranked in the bottom 1/4 of the lague since he's been here.

To be honest, I actually agree that the Personell staff can't worry about Mac's job, and needs to draft the player that makes the most sense for the future.

Leftwich definitely fits that bill, and so does Suggs, but I really want them to decide who is the best fit for the long run.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

You're crossing the line by going after Coach Mac! I'll turn this Darkside lovefest right around mister!