Josh Jackson update

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by NashDishesDimes, Nov 1, 2019.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I’ve been calling him Archie Goodwin for a year plus. People we’re drunk on his athleticism thinking it would translate to upside.

I was pretty adamant against dumping Melton to get rid of him but so far it looks like Jones knew what he was doing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Mainstreet like this.
  2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

And you were right! :cool:

Melton may yet be a good player.

3. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

So far the Carter for Melton swap seems to be a steal for us. Melton hasn't played much for the Grizz.

4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Jackson was also a year and a half older than Goodwin their respective freshman seasons. Archie was 18 when drafted while JJ was 20 and played on an experienced team with Frank Mason, Devonte Graham and Svi Mykhailiuk... Goodwin was on a bad team full of freshman. He would’ve blown up into a top-10 pick had he gone back to UK so I don’t blame McD for taking a shot on him.

What you couldn’t project was how big a knucklehead JJ would be.

5. Mainstreet

Archie was drafted where he should have gone (29). Can't fault the Suns on that.

Wish we could go back in a time machine and and trade down from #5 (Len) and draft Giannis (15) and Gobert (27).

6. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

This is why all the handwringing about drafting a guy way ahead of where all the media types slot him is unfounded. That get it wrong a lot.

7. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

The draft is always guesswork and I don't think anyone who had Jackson rated above Tatum should be embarrassed. What I found absurd on this board was the narrative that the Suns had outsmarted Danny Ainge and hid Jackson from him.

SirStefan32 and Mainstreet like this.
  8. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

In the end McD outsmarted himself because if we do allow JJ to work out with the Celtics maybe they really like what they see and they decide to draft him and we get "stuck" with either Tatum or Fox.

9. Finito

Finito Registered

God I was so hyped when Jackson “slid” to us at 4. A lot of guys were. What a waste

10. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

Did that rumour originate here? I thought it was from a real life source or an article in the newspaper.

I liked Fox a lot but I thought Jackson could be the Pippen to Booker's Jordan. I was against picking Ball but I was okay with Jackson. Looks like the new scouts/FO values NBA skills and experience (based on one draft, doh) -- which is good news.

11. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

Scouting always has the element disappointment since you can't quite measure heart. We knew JJ had questionable smarts coming out of Kansas, but man if we only knew he didn't have it in the chest. You could see the lack of heart with Ball and Fultz, (I'm no seasoned scout but those two were painfully obvious), but JJ's was masked behind his hustle and aggression. Like Iverson, he would pour out his heart for his team during games, but found better things to do after the whistle blew. So he had zero chance of getting better. Truly disheartening.

JJ had all the ability in the world to be a star defender and yet refused to correctly work on it. It's rare to have that kind of twitch agility. I remember season 2 getting excited to see what he'd worked on in the off season, only to be kicked in the stomach with the fact that he did absolutely nothing to improve his game. Nothing. Still bad footwork. Still lazy hands. Still completely relying on his God given athleticism and not realizing that gifts still need to be sharpened. Dull mind, dull heart.

And that's what that draft came down to, who had heart and who didn't. Fox, Mitchell, and Tatum have shown heart by working on aspects of their games that were flawed coming out of college. Many others did not. JJ being one of the worst.

12. JCSunsfan

It wasn't absurd. It happened. Not sure Ainge would have drafted Jackson had it all worked out for the Celtics, but Jackson did give Ainge the cold shoulder.

13. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

that entire draft was perplexing. I LOVED Ball and really liked Josh. Wanted no part of Tatum.

only thing I was kinda right on was not understanding the hype around Fultz, although if he never got injured and the worst case of the yips ever, might have been proven wrong there also for all I know.

14. JCSunsfan

I remember watching Tatum and thinking how great he looked to me, and how bad I must be at evaluating talent because everyone else liked Ball and JJ more. Tatum had the skills, but there were truly holes in his game at Duke. It taught me to prioritize true skills when evaluating a player.

15. Mainstreet

Nah. It would be like the 2016 draft. The Celtics always seem to draft the best player like when they selected Jaylen Brown over Dragan Bender.

Ronin likes this.