Jim Caldwell

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think I am in the minority, but instead of taking a risk on the next up and coming Sean McVay (Am I the only one who is getting sick of hearing about the next Sean McVay), I would rather the Cards go out and get someone who has HC experience and has won.

Steve Wilks had many, many, shortcomings which the national media who are crying about him getting axed are failing to realize, but his biggest IMO was the inability to properly prepare a game plan and the inability to manage a game. The Cards looked unprepared most weeks and when things went bad, it was over. Bad clock management and bizarre in-game decisions were the norm and are things that even good teams cannot overcome. These things are ESSENTIAL to winning and something that I think the Cards need at this time given the state of the franchise.

So all that said, a name that has popped up is Jim Caldwell. My first thought was, wait, that mild mannered coach of the Lions? But digging deeper, he has a pretty damn good track record. HC at Wake Forest from 93-2000. QB Coach and Assistant HC at Indy from 02-08. HC at Indy from 09-11 and the Lions from 14-17. So he has experience as the guy in charge. No worries there.

What happened at Indy and Detroit? At Indy he succeeded Dungy at went 14-2 and a Super Bowl loss, 10-6
and a playoff appearance, and then sucked for Luck with a 2-14 season and got the axe, which is interesting because I think most people believe that was a blatant tank job.

In 2012 he joined the Ravens, became the OC, and helped lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl win in 2013.

In 2014 he joined the Detroit Lions and they went 11-5. I repeat, the Lions went 11-5. One last time, THE LIONS WENT 11-5. His next two seasons they went 7-9 after starting 1-7 ( ability to turn it around when going bad) and in 2016 they went 9-7 and made the Wild Card. 2017 9-7 and missed the playoffs and he was let go.

I know this is a long post, but I hope he is considered. I think the team needs stability and someone proven to guide them back to respectability. Jim Caldwell isnt the next Sean McVay, but he is Jim Caldwell and that could be just what this team needs right now.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think I am in the minority, but instead of taking a risk on the next up and coming Sean McVay (Am I the only one who is getting sick of hearing about the next Sean McVay), I would rather the Cards go out and get someone who has HC experience and has won.

Steve Wilks had many, many, shortcomings which the national media who are crying about him getting axed are failing to realize, but his biggest IMO was the inability to properly prepare a game plan and the inability to manage a game. The Cards looked unprepared most weeks and when things went bad, it was over. Bad clock management and bizarre clock management were the norm and are things that even good teams cannot overcome. These things are ESSENTIAL to winning and something that I think the Cards need at this time given the state of the franchise.

So all that said, a name that has popped up is Jim Caldwell. My first thought was, wait, that mild mannered coach of the Lions? But digging deeper, he has a pretty damn good track record. HC at Wake Forest from 93-2000. QB Coach and Assistant HC at Indy from 02-08. HC at Indy from 09-11 and the Lions from 14-17. So he has experience as the guy in charge. No worries there.

What happened at Indy and Detroit? At Indy he succeeded Dungy at went 14-2 and a Super Bowl loss, 10-6
and a playoff appearance, and then sucked for Luck with a 2-14 season and got the axe, which is interesting because I think most people believe that was a blatant tank job.

In 2012 he joined the Ravens, became the OC, and helped lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl win in 2013.

In 2014 he joined the Detroit Lions and they went 11-5. I repeat, the Lions went 11-5. One last time, THE LIONS WENT 11-5. His next two seasons they went 7-9 after starting 1-7 ( ability to turn it around when going bad) and in 2016 they went 9-7 and made the Wild Card. 2017 9-7 and missed the playoffs and he was let go.

I know this is a long post, but I hope he is considered. I think the team needs stability and someone proven to guide them back to respectability. Jim Caldwell isnt the next Sean McVay, but he is Jim Caldwell and that could be just what this team needs right now.
I concur with most of it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
They mentioned talking to coaches out of the league:

Get the band back together...

Dungy as HC
Caldwell as OC
Bowles as DC

I think this would be a successful combination on many levels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Let's get the young, up and comer. We need the next Sean McVay. We need a leader of men! How about Steve Wilks? Oh wait.

Didn't say Caldwell was the sexy pick. I just want to win games.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's not forget that he was blamed for the Colts' dismal 2-14 season even though anyone with a brain knows the Colts tanked that year. Even with that he has a winning record as a head coach. I said this in another thread, he's the first Lions head coach in 50 years to have a winning record as their coach. I thought it was hilarious that the same franchise who stuck with Millen for so many years cut the cord with Caldwell so quickly.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Caldwell has proven that he can win with a legit QB. The problem is that Rosen isn’t that just yet. One could say that Stafford played his best though under Caldwell. If Rosen develops, then Caldwell could be a good hire. If he doesn’t, Caldwell could be a disaster. He wouldn’t be a bad hire, as we would be considerably better in short order. I just don’t think the ceiling is all that high. He’s an unassuming winner. Tough call with him. Initially, I said no way. But, I’d be mildly excited with this hire. Stuck in the middle with him. It’s not easy coaching in Detroit, and he did a nice job.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's get the young, up and comer. We need the next Sean McVay. We need a leader of men! How about Steve Wilks? Oh wait.

Didn't say Caldwell was the sexy pick. I just want to win games.
Well he ain't bringing Peyton Manning with him.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like Caldwell. He will be 64 in January. We need to go younger and get someone more innovative. John Clayton was on the Doug and Wolf show Monday morning. They asked him about Caldwell. He was not very positive on him.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like Caldwell. He will be 64 in January. We need to go younger and get someone more innovative. John Clayton was on the Doug and Wolf show Monday morning. They asked him about Caldwell. He was not very positive on him.

Wow, 64! I’m out with Caldwell. We do need someone younger. I’m almost 61 & I know how I feel getting out of bed every morning!

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Norv Turner would be a good ol' boys hire. Mike Shanahan would be a good ol' boys hire. Hiring Caldwell would be a "this guy wasn't given a fair shake in Detroit" hire. Remember, he had 2 winning seasons AFTER Megatron retired.
Who is mentioning Shanahan and Turner?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
They mentioned talking to coaches out of the league:

Get the band back together...

Dungy as HC
Caldwell as OC
Bowles as DC

I think this would be a successful combination on many levels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
State Farm retirement community.