Jeff Gladney Passed Away RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I understand how it could be unclear who was driving unless they were not wearing seat belts.
That sounds like it’s probably the case probably both ejected and they don’t know officially

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like it’s probably the case probably both ejected and they don’t know officially
I read in an article that she posted on Instagram hours before that she was riding with Gladney (meaning he was driving at the time).

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
So I got to thinking about this and wondered how the team will address his contract. He signed a two year, $6.5 million contract with the Cardinals. $4 million is guaranteed including a $2 million signing bonus. I assume he already got paid the bonus half the bonus as the contract calls for it to be split between the two years, but does the rest of the bonus and guaranteed money still get paid out to his family/daughter or does it now revert back to the team? I would be nice if the entire four million found it's way to his daughter or at the very least the entire bonus money.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got to thinking about this and wondered how the team will address his contract. He signed a two year, $6.5 million contract with the Cardinals. $4 million is guaranteed including a $2 million signing bonus. I assume he already got paid the bonus half the bonus as the contract calls for it to be split between the two years, but does the rest of the bonus and guaranteed money still get paid out to his family/daughter or does it now revert back to the team? I would be nice if the entire four million found it's way to his daughter or at the very least the entire bonus money.
I had the same thoughts.

Ideally, the money goes to his family, but is classified in such a way that nothing hits the cap.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I had the same thoughts.

Ideally, the money goes to his family, but is classified in such a way that nothing hits the cap.

If there isn't a clause the estate would keep the signing bonus but wouldn't get any more. The rest is treated like a trade or release.I think that equates to $1m dead cap this year, and $1m dead cap next year.

He also might be insured. A lot of players have injury of death insurance, I don't know if the Org has something set up for that or if they leave it to the player.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If there isn't a clause the estate would keep the signing bonus but wouldn't get any more. The rest is treated like a trade or release.I think that equates to $1m dead cap this year, and $1m dead cap next year.

He also might be insured. A lot of players have injury of death insurance, I don't know if the Org has something set up for that or if they leave it to the player.
Is it treated like a trade or release, or more like an injury? Teams have insurance on players and their contracts, usually, to protect against a player having a catastrophic injury. I wonder if have the same for untimely demise. It's just a sad, sad situation, all around.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Happens To A Player's Money If He Dies While Under Contract?

In the NFL, a player's death is treated just like a release or trade. His salary ends and any bonuses that were paid to the player but not yet charged to the salary cap are brought forward as a charge against the cap. When the Redskins' Sean Taylor was killed in 2007, his signing bonus charges were counted on the team's 2008 salary cap book.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
What Happens To A Player's Money If He Dies While Under Contract?

In the NFL, a player's death is treated just like a release or trade. His salary ends and any bonuses that were paid to the player but not yet charged to the salary cap are brought forward as a charge against the cap. When the Redskins' Sean Taylor was killed in 2007, his signing bonus charges were counted on the team's 2008 salary cap book.
So if I understand this correctly signing bonuses are paid in full at contract signing however the team is allowed to pro rate it over the term of the contract. In Gladney's case, the team has to claim the entire bonus in 2022 and his contract is terminated. Then the other question is how the guaranteed money is handled.

This I lifted off a reddit discussion group and it was written by a person in the financial world.

"That would depend on the legal framework of the contract and the cause of death.

If the money is indeed guaranteed then for all intents and purposes the money should belong in the player's name. If the player dies then the estate goes into probate."

I would hope that the Cardinals would do as much as legally possible to provide as much compensation to the family. Considering his lifetime earning potential, his family/daughter would be missing out on a sizeable chunk of money.

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Personal responsibility for one's own actions just isn't a thing anymore?
The Cardinals should account for this guys potential earning power . . . ?
Tragic yes. Self inflicted . . yes.
I hope the young man had life insurance to clean up the mess he made.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, but they should honor a good portion of his contract IMO.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. All signs point to this as self inflicted as a result of poor life choices. It’s sad and it’s tragic. But imo rules like this should change. Teams shouldn’t be left on the hook for moronic behavior. If an owner wants to compensate family members more power to them but they shouldn’t be required to imo. Teams get out of contractual money for crappy/illegal behavior all the time. This should be no different if they choose.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly signing bonuses are paid in full at contract signing however the team is allowed to pro rate it over the term of the contract. In Gladney's case, the team has to claim the entire bonus in 2022 and his contract is terminated. Then the other question is how the guaranteed money is handled.

This I lifted off a reddit discussion group and it was written by a person in the financial world.

"That would depend on the legal framework of the contract and the cause of death.

If the money is indeed guaranteed then for all intents and purposes the money should belong in the player's name. If the player dies then the estate goes into probate."

I would hope that the Cardinals would do as much as legally possible to provide as much compensation to the family. Considering his lifetime earning potential, his family/daughter would be missing out on a sizeable chunk of money.
I would imagine Michael Bidwill would and did. He might make some questionable moves (not as much as his old fashioned pop) but he has a big heart

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it come out that he was drunk or something?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The $2m signing bonus was a condition of the agreement, and unless there is offset language covering accidental death or incapacity will go to his heirs, I imagine. The more contentious issue is that his season one salary ($1.5m) was guaranteed, and I wonder if there's offset language covering this specifically. At this point, Gladney is listed at $2.5m against the Cap in 2022 - ($1.5m salary + $1m of prorated signing bonus.)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Did it come out that he was drunk or something?
From what I have read it seems there were a couple of things that were established, one he was the person speeding, two he clipped the car in front of him as he was passing it which caused him to lose control of his vehicle.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Not saying the team should account for his earning potential, just saying his family lost out on it. Even though everything hasn't been released yet due to the ongoing investigation, what seems to have been determined is Gladney was the speeder and he did hit the car he was passing which caused him to lose control of his vehicle. These two things alone do indicate Gladney contributed to his demise.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The more contentious issue is that his season one salary ($1.5m) was guaranteed
i think this is right. NFL contracts often have "guaranteed" attached to things that turn out not so guaranteed under certain conditions.

was the salary guaranteed for injury? seems like they pay out.

he wasn't a vested vet, so he wouldn't have qualified for the provision where if he was on the roster week 1, the salary for the whole season becomes guaranteed. So was it something like that for him?

Seems like the team wouldn't have to pay --

and btw: if that's the case, I am not sure they have the option to pay per the collective bargaining rules even if they wanted to.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
i think this is right. NFL contracts often have "guaranteed" attached to things that turn out not so guaranteed under certain conditions.

was the salary guaranteed for injury? seems like they pay out.

he wasn't a vested vet, so he wouldn't have qualified for the provision where if he was on the roster week 1, the salary for the whole season becomes guaranteed. So was it something like that for him?

Seems like the team wouldn't have to pay --

and btw: if that's the case, I am not sure they have the option to pay per the collective bargaining rules even if they wanted to.
I wonder if the team will ever put out a statement regarding how they handled his contract and if they paid anything out to the family? It's not like they have to.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if the team will ever put out a statement regarding how they handled his contract and if they paid anything out to the family? It's not like they have to.
Don't know, there is also the young lady (passenger) hope they don't forget about her family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard