Jazz @ Suns Wednesday game thread 4-7-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grayson had 30 points last night. Give him crap if you want but he is a NBA player.

Once Allen gives up his reputation for making dirty plays, he will get more respect.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He had some his first year in Utah, but after getting traded I thought he has played well and more level-headed.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I seriously hope half the team (Booker, Bridges, Payne, Crowder) stayed afterwards and practiced shooting, because at times they couldn't buy a basket. And yet, we still somehow won. Amazing team effort.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seriously hope half the team (Booker, Bridges, Payne, Crowder) stayed afterwards and practiced shooting, because at times they couldn't buy a basket. And yet, we still somehow won. Amazing team effort.

I'm not sure what time the Suns had to leave. The practice may have to be pregame. Tough game tonight.

Aside from Cam Johnson, the Suns will need more from their bench as well.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A couple of stats that jumped out on Booker. He had 35 points without making a 3pt field goal but took 31 shots making 13. He is very streaky, when he is on he can't miss but sometimes he has nights like last night where he can't get into a rhythm.

My Ayton theory is valid, give the guy at least 15 shot attempts and he has a good night. I think when he is not engaged on the offensive end then he shuts down completely in other areas (rebounding and defense). Paul and others need to get him more involved in offense even if that means creating shots for him with lob passes he can finish. He had a nice jumper from top of the key to start the game which shows me has has range, of course the 3pt attempt a couple of possessions later missed the mark but at least he is taking shots. When Booker is having off night, I would try and get it to Ayton more if I was Paul.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Chris Paul was amazing.

huge cam from cam with saric, crowder and bridges struggling.

book has just crumbled down the stretch of some games as of late. Disturbing that monty keeps letting him iso if he’s hunting step back threes when we just need a single point.

Ayton’s defense was fantastic. I could swear he had more than 3 blocks. His hands were off the charts embarrassing again.

craig has really been more than we could reasonably expect.

I really don’t understand Carter’s run lately. He is COMPLETELY useless on offense. Did a single poster believe either of his wide open 3s were going to drop?

this was a huge huge win, but I think both coaches went brain fart down the stretch with nothing but book v Mitchell hero ball. If I were Utah I’d have gone to bogdanvich a few times down the stretch.
Seemed like every time Bogdanvich went to the basket he scored on a layup. I’m sooo happy they went away from that down the stretch and went to Mitchell hero ball.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that last point is what impressed me the most. They went down 5, but didn’t get down on themselves and kept pushing until they got the lead back. That’s the sign of a team that truly believes they belong in the title contender conversation.

How many times have we seen this team over the past few years give up a lead or a huge lead...then mentally just mail it in after losing said lead? This was refreshing to see. I think CP3's no panic approach is rubbing off on the team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seemed like every time Bogdanvich went to the basket he scored on a layup. I’m sooo happy they went away from that down the stretch and went to Mitchell hero ball.
Right? It’s crazy to me that a head coach’s assistance don’t pick up on this and say something (head coach being too busy with everything all at once).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Chris Paul was everything we needed last night. My worry is that when he plays that many minutes over 2 or 3 playoff series, he will miss time. It's almost a lock IMO.

DA was great. Effort, hustle, defense. Everything we need. Great game from him and it shows that he CAN be that guy when he's motivated.

Holy crap that was fun. And I think I may have a stroke in the playoffs. 43 year old me can't handle the things I went through in 1993 and the mid 2000's.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of stats that jumped out on Booker. He had 35 points without making a 3pt field goal but took 31 shots making 13. He is very streaky, when he is on he can't miss but sometimes he has nights like last night where he can't get into a rhythm.

My Ayton theory is valid, give the guy at least 15 shot attempts and he has a good night. I think when he is not engaged on the offensive end then he shuts down completely in other areas (rebounding and defense). Paul and others need to get him more involved in offense even if that means creating shots for him with lob passes he can finish. He had a nice jumper from top of the key to start the game which shows me has has range, of course the 3pt attempt a couple of possessions later missed the mark but at least he is taking shots. When Booker is having off night, I would try and get it to Ayton more if I was Paul.

On Booker: IIRC he was 9 of 16 at one point before he started missing everything. Then he made a few big shots in the OT but in-between he couldn't buy a hoop.

As for your Ayton theory: To an extent, everyone tends to play better when they are part of the offense but for the most part I disagree with your Ayton conclusions. First off, he played good defense from the start last night yet he only had a couple of attempts well into the first half and only 8 points total by the time the 2nd half started. Secondly, I can't tell you how many times we've started off poorly because we've wasted half a dozen or more possessions trying to get DA going out of the gate.

Some of his worst performances have come when we've fed him early and he's missed or fumbled away his opportunities. He does seem to be a little more engaged if he's involved early but only if he succeeds. And to me, it actually shows up more in his offense than his defense. But, again, the key isn't the extra shot attempts, it has to do with him succeeding on those chances.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right? It’s crazy to me that a head coach’s assistance don’t pick up on this and say something (head coach being too busy with everything all at once).

I seem to recall at least 4 or 5 possessions where they tried to go to him and our defense was up in his face. He immediately gave up the ball passing it around. I think part of it was Bogdanvich not being aggressive.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nobody has really mentioned that Joe Ingles is one of the most efficient players in the league (I think he's #1 in the league at that stat) and he was virtually non-existent last night.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On Booker: IIRC he was 9 of 16 at one point before he started missing everything. Then he made a few big shots in the OT but in-between he couldn't buy a hoop.
Yeah, like I said streaky

As for your Ayton theory: To an extent, everyone tends to play better when they are part of the offense but for the most part I disagree with your Ayton conclusions. First off, he played good defense from the start last night yet he only had a couple of attempts well into the first half and only 8 points total by the time the 2nd half started. Secondly, I can't tell you how many times we've started off poorly because we've wasted half a dozen or more possessions trying to get DA going out of the gate.

Some of his worst performances have come when we've fed him early and he's missed or fumbled away his opportunities. He does seem to be a little more engaged if he's involved early but only if he succeeds. And to me, it actually shows up more in his offense than his defense. But, again, the key isn't the extra shot attempts, it has to do with him succeeding on those chances.

Again, like I said he ended up with 15 shot attempts for the game, he had a good game. Doesn't really matter how early he gets most of them. I believe he had 3 shot attempts early in game (jumper, layup and missed 3pt attempt) so he was engaged early.

I saw a bunch of bad passes that were bobbled or thrown away. Example, the possession where Booker got caught in paint and he tried to kick out to Bridges and he couldn't handle it and it went out of bounds. Some of the issue may be Ayton's hands but I seen plenty of times where players get caught in air and make bad passes or just plain miss guys. Point is it's not just Ayton, I haven't seen him miss many alley oops, if fact he had a nice catch and lay in from Paul lob early in game that he had to adjust for.

Ayton needs to be involved otherwise he becomes passive and seems okay to just let offense go through others. I know he needs to be more assertive and less soft, I agree he and he alone needs to fix that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody has really mentioned that Joe Ingles is one of the most efficient players in the league (I think he's #1 in the league at that stat) and he was virtually non-existent last night.

They did not get much out of Clarkson either.

Which is why this was not a typical Jazz game.

Suns would have to play better than they did to beat them in a series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris Paul was everything we needed last night. My worry is that when he plays that many minutes over 2 or 3 playoff series, he will miss time. It's almost a lock IMO.

DA was great. Effort, hustle, defense. Everything we need. Great game from him and it shows that he CAN be that guy when he's motivated.

Holy crap that was fun. And I think I may have a stroke in the playoffs. 43 year old me can't handle the things I went through in 1993 and the mid 2000's.
It’s been 10+ years. You’re just emotionally outta shape as a basketball fan. This season is building your endurance. You’ll be fine come playoffs. That’s what I’m telling myself.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But for every one of the jazz that didn’t play well we had a bridges, crowder, saric that didn’t play well and a Nader completely out. It was a tough game for both sides.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Did those paul clipp teams ever have a good shooter as book? Just curious

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

But we didn't have Bridges and Crowder either, so it evens out.