Jalen Smith

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s 100% a 5 he’s a long rim runner think Capela or even McGee.

He’s only going to get stronger.
Agreed. Particularly as a backup 5 he’s almost perfect. If we had picked up his option he would be the heir to mcgee.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He still has plenty to learn at either position but his body is more suited for the four while his skill set and positional understanding matches up much better with the 5. Right now, he's far better down low but if he can figure out defensive rotations at the 4 and improve his outside shooting, he'll make some all star teams as a power forward.

I agree with this take. Stix is presently a 5 but needs a team that will allow him to develop and grow as a 4.

The problem is the Suns are in win-now mode so I'm not sure it will happen with them.

If the Suns are compelled to trade him I'd be tempted to let his agent look for a trade to a team that would allow him to do just that. If it happens that way, the team has an inside track on keeping him.

Why would another team do that? They may have a player on an expiring contract that better fits the Suns immediate needs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is everyone down on Thad now that we’ve seen him play? I think he’s still got a lot left and will turn it on for the right team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is everyone down on Thad now that we’ve seen him play? I think he’s still got a lot left and will turn it on for the right team.

I don't think his play has turned people away. It's clear his production, or lack of, is due to being buried on the bench in San Antonio. I think people are high on Jalen now also and that's caused less fawning over Thad.

I'd rather have Thad regardless of what Jalen does. I can't see Jalen being a factor in the playoffs, which is where Thad would pay dividends. Stix is probably the better defender when playing as the small ball 5 but Thad would be much better offensively.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is down on Thad Young but when I see him play his game reminds me of a center. He likes to play close to the basket.

Is he going to be able to play with the Suns centers without clogging the lane?

I'm not sure about his perimeter defense.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
From what I've seen of Thad (and reports of others), it sounds like he's declined.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen of Thad (and reports of others), it sounds like he's declined.
He looked used up when we played the Spurs but looking at his stats they aren't that bad. He's been horrible from the line and he hasn't made a 3 this season but he's only taken 3 of them. His minutes are way down but his PER and Per36 stats look solid with 15 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists and shooting almost 59% from the floor. I guess I'd worry mostly about his defense.

I've lost interest in him but that's due to the improvement of CamJ rather than Thad's play. And I think we have greater needs right now than at the 4 spot. A quick perimeter player would be nice.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN+ has an article as to what to watch for each team as the trade deadline nears. They specifically mention the Jalen Smith option situation and how whoever has him when his contract expires at years end is hamstrung when it comes to paying him. They can't offer more than his rookie deal would have paid him next season.

Smith was taken 10th overall in the 2020 NBA draft but saw the third-year option in his contract declined. Despite a limited role in his first two campaigns, Smith has averaged 17.3 points and 9.5 rebounds in four starts this season.

One disadvantage for any team acquiring Smith in a trade is that because his option was declined, it would be limited to offering him a maximum of $4.7 million in first-year salary in free agency this summer, the same amount as what his 2022-23 option would have been. (The Suns have the same restriction if they choose to keep Smith past the deadline and want to re-sign him this summer.)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ESPN+ has an article as to what to watch for each team as the trade deadline nears. They specifically mention the Jalen Smith option situation and how whoever has him when his contract expires at years end is hamstrung when it comes to paying him. They can't offer more than his rookie deal would have paid him next season.

Smith was taken 10th overall in the 2020 NBA draft but saw the third-year option in his contract declined. Despite a limited role in his first two campaigns, Smith has averaged 17.3 points and 9.5 rebounds in four starts this season.

One disadvantage for any team acquiring Smith in a trade is that because his option was declined, it would be limited to offering him a maximum of $4.7 million in first-year salary in free agency this summer, the same amount as what his 2022-23 option would have been. (The Suns have the same restriction if they choose to keep Smith past the deadline and want to re-sign him this summer.)
Wow, so I wonder if this will limit interest from other teams. I don't think you would need to move Smith in deals for short term rental guys, picks should be enough for them.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, so I wonder if this will limit interest from other teams. I don't think you would need to move Smith in deals for short term rental guys, picks should be enough for them.

I was listening to the solar panel and they were talking about this. If he goes to another team they are going to play him and he’s going to put play his contract

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to the solar panel and they were talking about this. If he goes to another team they are going to play him and he’s going to put play his contract

I've never heard "play" being put in a contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stix could light up the scoreboard for a team like the Thunder.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What makes me mad is we don't need Smith to light up the scoreboard or put up All Star numbers here, if he is given minutes here there's no reason he can't grab 10+ boards and play better defense than an undersized Crowder at PF or back up C. Not sure McGee will come back on another minimum deal or he may just decide to retire but Smith could be back up C or start at PF next year We're not going to be able to sign FA's and we don't have a 1st round pick this year so why didn't PHX just keep him around another year? PHX has been able to build through the draft (Ayton, Bridges, Johnson, Smith) and have a good young core even after Paul's deal expires. If Sarver isn't willing to go that deep into LT land then he should sell team which should be on his mind any way now that his douchiness is known nationally.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes me mad is we don't need Smith to light up the scoreboard or put up All Star numbers here, if he is given minutes here there's no reason he can't grab 10+ boards and play better defense than an undersized Crowder at PF or back up C. Not sure McGee will come back on another minimum deal or he may just decide to retire but Smith could be back up C or start at PF next year We're not going to be able to sign FA's and we don't have a 1st round pick this year so why didn't PHX just keep him around another year? PHX has been able to build through the draft (Ayton, Bridges, Johnson, Smith) and have a good young core even after Paul's deal expires. If Sarver isn't willing to go that deep into LT land then he should sell team which should be on his mind any way now that his douchiness is known nationally.

I doubt we would even talking about trading Stix if the Suns had picked up his option or if we were, it would be for a significant addition.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't forget we didn't have a 1st this year but never thought of that when considering how the Suns declined Stix option and that makes it even worse, IMO. We're not adding any guaranteed salary from a pick and didn't have a pick this season either. There was really no excuse to decline that option. It really has turned into a worst case scenario and it wasn't difficult to see it playing out this way when it happened. Definitely James Jones biggest mistake as GM.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't forget we didn't have a 1st this year but never thought of that when considering how the Suns declined Stix option and that makes it even worse, IMO. We're not adding any guaranteed salary from a pick and didn't have a pick this season either. There was really no excuse to decline that option. It really has turned into a worst case scenario and it wasn't difficult to see it playing out this way when it happened. Definitely James Jones biggest mistake as GM.
In my glass half full world I like to think that James Jones knows exactly what he's doing, and all the stuff that has us scratching our heads now will someday be revealed making us feel stupid and JJ the GOAT GM.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish some interviewer would just ask JJ point blank. "Was declining Jalen's option a mistake." The guy is pretty candid. He will probably answer honestly.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my glass half full world I like to think that James Jones knows exactly what he's doing, and all the stuff that has us scratching our heads now will someday be revealed making us feel stupid and JJ the GOAT GM.

I think James Jones had his reasons for declining the option on Jalen Smith. I've even read articles about how valuable $4.7 million is in regard to player personnel. However, I still think think declining the option on Stix was a mistake unless there is some kind of risk factor that we are unaware.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think James Jones had his reasons for declining the option on Jalen Smith. I've even read articles about how valuable $4.7 million is in regard to player personnel. However, I still think think declining the option on Stix was a mistake unless there is some kind of risk factor that we are unaware.

It’s been pretty much said in the Suns media it’s a save money move.

People are crazy to think Sarver doesn’t have his hands in this and just leaves it all up to Jones. Has he ever done that in 18 years

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People are crazy to think Sarver doesn’t have his hands in this and just leaves it all up to Jones. Has he ever done that in 18 years

I've read about the money saving angle in the sports media but I don't think I have read it in the "Suns media."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who says this? Of course Sarver is involved in this process and the ultimate decision maker when it comes to anything financial. The question is whether he's ignoring their input and making this kind of decision on his own.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've read about the money saving angle in the sports media but I don't think I have read it in the "Suns media."

By that I just mean all the Suns podcast and people that cover the Suns not from the Suns themselves

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who says this? Of course Sarver is involved in this process and the ultimate decision maker when it comes to anything financial. The question is whether he's ignoring their input and making this kind of decision on his own.

This is how I came to my theory there is only so much money the Suns are willing spend and stay in the good graces of ownership. So James Jones chose to spend it on Landry Shamet. It's hard to believe the Suns gave up on Jalen Smith so quickly otherwise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose