Jalen Smith

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The fact that he was picked earlier than his draft position really tells me we picked him to keep him.
I wonder if it is a position thing. Not many highly rated PFs, so the ones available get over valued?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good Grief, it sounds like according to flex the suns wanted to draft Deni.

Would much rather have Jalen Smith, so I guess I should just be happy, it could have been worse.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Grief, it sounds like according to flex the suns wanted to draft Deni.

Would much rather have Jalen Smith, so I guess I should just be happy, it could have been worse.

Yes I believe that is whom they wanted. Fits with the two guys Gambo said they didn't think would be there.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton/Mikal Bridges/Cam Johnson/Dario Saric/Jalen Smith/Frank Kaminsky/Abdel Nader/ Cheik Diallo/Tariq Owens.

Is that a frontcourt that can get you well into the playoffs? Maybe. If they stay healthy.

What about if your backcourt is

Chris Paul/Devin Booker/Elie Okobo/Cameron Payne

The answer is yes, but only if they avoid injury. It's a talented but thin team.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh ill have to watch higher on smith tom when I wake up...

I'm a bit depressed wanted halli but can see why suns passed after getting paul but paul is already in his 30s would have been nice to have a young rookie pg to lean from paul

Oh well hope Smith works good rebounding def pf is beneficial

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton/Mikal Bridges/Cam Johnson/Dario Saric/Jalen Smith/Frank Kaminsky/Abdel Nader/ Cheik Diallo/Tariq Owens.

Is that a frontcourt that can get you well into the playoffs? Maybe. If they stay healthy.

What about if your backcourt is

Chris Paul/Devin Booker/Elie Okobo/Cameron Payne

The answer is yes, but only if they avoid injury. It's a talented but thin team.

You left off Javon Carter.

They are going to sign a couple more guys, let's see if sarver is willing to use the exceptions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones knows who he wants and drafts him. Doesn't matter where they are slotted by others. I do respect that. McD always took the guy that all the mocks said he should.

I don't. That means your just too stupid to take advantage of your assets.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From what I see with the highlights.... Quick-release, Adept at pick and roll. Quick decision at rim for tips and good hand/eye for layups/finger rolls. Not afraid to switch up his approach at last second.

Big man who can drain the 3 and shoot ft's. Shot looks smooth.

I think his traits translate into a guy who if you give him the ball should finish well enough in the league. Hopefully he develops into something good.

Of course, these are highlights....

Looks like dude from Dead Presidents.

You must be registered for see images attach

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Smith will be nice when he grows into those legs. Put him on a bike and feed him some pasta.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't. That means your just too stupid to take advantage of your assets.
Nah. Smith is a very good prospect. He is a stretch big that is a rim protector with 2.7 blocks a game. That is a rare combination of skills. I liked Haliburton, but the Spurs passed on Hali too. That tells me that there was something I missed.

Look at his numbers. He has basically the same skill set as Okwangu but Smith shoots the three.

Mocks are just sports dudes projections. I wonder what the team big boards really looked like around the league.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Smith will be nice when he grows into those legs. Put him on a bike and feed him some pasta.

It will take 2-3 years, but I concur. What we need is a stop-gap starter and someone to show him the ropes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah. Smith is a very good prospect. He is a stretch big that is a rim protector with 2.7 blocks a game. That is a rare combination of skills. I liked Haliburton, but the Spurs passed on Hali too. That tells me that there was something I missed.

Look at his numbers. He has basically the same skill set as Okwangu but Smith shoots the three.

Mocks are just sports dudes projections. I wonder what the team big boards really looked like around the league.

Look I am warming to the Smith pick, but there was at least 5 other guys that would have been just as good, and we would have got an asset in addition.

I am really just sick of James Jones throwing around draft picks like they are worthless when in reality they are the lifeblood of an NBA team.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Look I am warming to the Smith pick, but there was at least 5 other guys that would have been just as good, and we would have got an asset in addition.

I am really just sick of James Jones throwing around draft picks like they are worthles s when in reality they are the lifeblood of an NBA team.
I would have liked to pick him a bit later too but there has to be teams wanting to move up , no one is going to just hand you an asset for no reason, in a draft like this I'm not surprised there aren't many trades, there weren't any "wow" prospects that teams were drooling over

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Look at the way the rest of the first round went - lots of bigs went higher than expected and wings were devalued.

That tells me that Smith probably wouldn't have lasted much longer on the board than when the Suns took him. He might have been there at 14, maybe... but I doubt any later.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Smith will fit he matches up pretty well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I immediately felt better when the Spurs passed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am really just sick of James Jones throwing around draft picks like they are worthless when in reality they are the lifeblood of an NBA team.
Any GM that spends his time strategizing his draft based on media mocks should be fired. Jones had Smith at 10 or higher on his board and he went with it.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

One thing to consider, Gambo was reporting that they were shopping the pick just before he reported Jalen's selection. Since it's reasonable to conclude that he doesn't make it passed #16-19 they were probably looking at going back to 15 or so. So if they got no bites on trading back a few picks and obviously had him as BPA on their Big board, then they did everything they could to maximize the value of the pick.

I had Tyrese as #4 on my Suns Big Board and Jalen #8. And #5-7 were already gone. Considering the number of negatives ALL the prospects had at that point I see only a minor loss on value.

And Haliburton will be playing behind Fox for the foreseeable future since he's not a SG. His value will be capped by his playing time. We can pick him up on the cheap in a few years. (Also be wary of Haliburton being injury prone. He's wreckless to a fault.)

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Any GM that spends his time strategizing his draft based on media mocks should be fired. Jones had Smith at 10 or higher on his board and he went with it.
You would think people would start to understand this when players consistently get picked before or after where they "should" have been picked. Teams have a lot more access to these players/information to get evaluations done than we as fans do or most of the analysts as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You would think people would start to understand this when players consistently get picked before or after where they "should" have been picked. Teams have a lot more access to these players/information to get evaluations done than we as fans or most of the analysts as well.

If that's so true, what other players in this draft went way ahead of where they were supposed to in this draft besides him?

Patrick Williams - he was at least known to be flying up draft boards.