It's official, better than a kick in the teeth!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Suns will do sign and trade

Phoenix Suns update:

The Suns will use Amar'e Stoudemire's official departure today to make a pair of sign-and-trade deals with New York and Chicago, netting the Suns a $16.5 million trade exception from the Knicks and using part of that for Hakim Warrick's acquisition, according to Stoudemire's agent, Happy Walters.

Walters said the trade exception the Suns are receiving in return for first signing Stoudemire to his five-year, $99.7 million contract with New York is for $16.5 million, equivalent to Stoudemire's first-year salary. That means the Suns would not be getting a player, like free agent David Lee in return.

However, if LeBron James picks New York today, the Suns could still have a chance at Lee. The Suns would have to do a sign-and-trade with New York before the Knicks signed James. Even then, they would have to outdo other suitors, who might be offering Lee more money or be offering New York a better package. Golden State was close to an agreement that would send Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna Azubuike to New York but Lee would have to agree to going to the Warriors. Also, Phoenix is debating whether it would give Lee a contract averaging about $13 million annually like he wants. By comparison, Steve Nash will make $10.3 million this season.

The Suns could use a trade exception over the next year to acquire a player of less than or close to the exception's value (about $13.5 million after the Warrick deal is done) without having to send any Suns players in a deal.

It was expected that New York would receive a second-round pick in such an arrangement, as well as about $800,000 in extra salary cap space this year by being able to start Stoudemire's contract at a lower first-year salary. By Phoenix signing Stoudemire before trading him, the contract can have 10.5 percent raises to get to the same $99.7 million total as he would have by signing with New York with eight percent raises.

"We really did care about Robert (Sarver) and Alvin (Gentry) and the team and how we could help any way we could," Walters said. "It doesn't give Amar'e any more money. He actually takes a pay cut in the first year of $800,000. It gives them flexibility and hopefully it helps them in the future."

By doing the Stoudemire sign-and-trade first, the Suns then need to use $4 million of that trade exception to acquire Warrick by having Chicago, where he finished last season, sign him to the contract offer he accepted from the Suns last week. Phoenix would be expected to receive a second-round pick from Chicago and would not be willing to take Luol Deng's contract with the exception too.

If the Suns get a full exception from New York and do the Warrick sign-and-trade, the would have a $13.5 million trade exception for the next year.

If they don't acquire Lee, the Suns also will have about $4 million in salary cap space this summer for a free agent.

Intersting Happy Walters saying Amar'e will get an initial year pay cut by insisting on sign and trade for Phoenix...

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
With JRich's expiring $14 million AND a $13.5 million TPE, the Suns could be looking at being MAJOR players at the trade deadline and possibly into the early offseason....

NY would get Cap flex with Amare's Deal
Amare would get a larger increase per year
Phx would get a PF that could be a starter and under a nice rookie contract
GS would get Lee the PF they want over Randolph

Heck I think the Suns could pull out some draft picks as well from this.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Why not do a three team trade we send Lee to Golden State and we get Randolph, NY can keep the rest. That would still leave us with $12-13 Million of Trade Exeception after we trade for Warick????????

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why not do a three team trade we send Lee to Golden State and we get Randolph, NY can keep the rest. That would still leave us with $12-13 Million of Trade Exeception after we trade for Warick????????

this is what i was wondering . . . why aren't we trying to facilitate this and land randolph?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The 6-foot-10 Stoudemire officially comes to New York via a sign-and-trade. The Knicks sent a trade exception and possibly a draft pick to the Suns while Stoudemire signed a five-year deal worth approximately $100 million. The exception is believed to be worth about $16.5 million and the draft pick likely will be a second-rounder sent to Phoenix.

Pick???

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
this is what i was wondering . . . why aren't we trying to facilitate this and land randolph?

Randolph is the reason the Knicks are willing to S&T Lee to the Warriors. Without Randolph they wouldn't do the deal, not sure how you can expect the Suns to jump in.

If the Warriors were just looking to dump salary and were offering Randolph to do so, then they'd be able to use the TPE.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Randolph is the reason the Knicks are willing to S&T Lee to the Warriors. Without Randolph they wouldn't do the deal, not sure how you can expect the Suns to jump in.

If the Warriors were just looking to dump salary and were offering Randolph to do so, then they'd be able to use the TPE.

And yet we haven't heard word one from Lee himself. He's an unrestricted, so the only thing that can happen here is that he'll get a 6-year deal.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
First time posting in a while. I have many thoughts on this. I just have to say 1 thing...

... I hope we kick the **** out of the Knicks twice this year.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time posting in a while. I have many thoughts on this. I just have to say 1 thing...

... I hope we kick the **** out of the Knicks twice this year.

Well, i am sure glad we wont be playing against Amare 4 times every season. I assure you Lopez (or one of the rookies) gets posterized by Amare before season is over. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, i am sure glad we wont be playing against Amare 4 times every season. I assure you Lopez (or one of the rookies) gets posterized by Amare before season is over. :)

I'd rather see him stuff Robin the way he did Marion. That block did not get enough air play. It will have to happen this season though because year two is the lockout season and year 3 is his knee surgery rehab and year 4 is his next round of eye surgeries and year 5 is when Sarver mortgages our future and brings Amare back home.

Steve