"It's like Looney Tunes around here" - A Suns source reveals how chaotic the organization is under new owner Mat Ishbia

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ishbia is clearly in over his head when it comes the roster decisions he's meddling with, but it's comical to see the press piling on when last summer most of them were acting like getting Durant and Beal was a major coup.

I give Ishbia an A for effort... which is far more than I can give Sarver.
This is 1000% fair.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two most important traits in an ideal NBA franchise owner:
1. Desperately wants to win.
2. Money is no object.

If I had the first pick in the NBA owner draft, I'd run to the podium to take Ishbia.

Eh... I think making smart hires and allowing those people to do their jobs is the most important job of any executive.

He's better than Sarver, who was a meddler AND a penny pincher (and a general embarrassment), but I don't trust his basketball decisions at all right now.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Eh... I think making smart hires and allowing those people to do their jobs is the most important job of any executive.

He's better than Sarver, who was a meddler AND a penny pincher (and a general embarrassment), but I don't trust his basketball decisions at all right now.
A person that wants to win is motivated to apply what they've learned.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two most important traits in an ideal NBA franchise owner:
1. Desperately wants to win.
2. Money is no object.

If I had the first pick in the NBA owner draft, I'd run to the podium to take Ishbia.
This. He can learn everything else. Hell Sarver started to get a clue after many mistakes.

I have hope because of Ishbia.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cool call up bugs bunny to play pg he rocked in space jam!!!

Lol i need to find humor im still sooooooooooo pissed at lame ass vogel popel lol boi only player show hustle the ymca goofball hc never played him ehhhh

Waiting paitently for that heaven sent post vogel released day:) bong rip to that

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Please note, again, that we actually do have 1st round picks in 2024, 2026, 2028 and 2030 as normal.
Well, as of now. They can still be traded the day of the draft or immediately thereafter, as we remember all too well from the D'Antoni years.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What GM wants to come in with almost no draft picks the next however many years and over the 2nd apron?

Meanwhile, the picks we have are low because of swaps.

Plus the bi-exception (not this year).

Come save us, your reputation is on the line, but you have zero wiggle room. Bring us a miracle.

James Jones didn't get a PG and now we're stuck with whatever PG drops to 22 or can be traded for 22 or a buyout who wants to chase a ring on the cheap. Technically, it could have been Ishbia, but whatever.

Ishbia is going to have growing pains, the problem is, we've gone all in, and can't make any. Hope ishbia is better the 2nd go around like 2030-2035. (that's not to say we can't salvage it, I'm simply saying, once this era is over, suck for a while and get draft picks, the next come up)

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
This experiment has one more season, maybe with a new coach, and if it doesn't work Ishba is going to blow it up and start from scratch.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What GM wants to come in with almost no draft picks the next however many years and over the 2nd apron?

Meanwhile, the picks we have are low because of swaps.

Plus the bi-exception (not this year).

Come save us, your reputation is on the line, but you have zero wiggle room. Bring us a miracle.

James Jones didn't get a PG and now we're stuck with whatever PG drops to 22 or can be traded for 22 or a buyout who wants to chase a ring on the cheap. Technically, it could have been Ishbia, but whatever.

Ishbia is going to have growing pains, the problem is, we've gone all in, and can't make any. Hope ishbia is better the 2nd go around like 2030-2035. (that's not to say we can't salvage it, I'm simply saying, once this era is over, suck for a while and get draft picks, the next come up)
There are a limited number of gm spots up for grabs. A young guy would be foolish to pass it up unless he’s the hot new thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Each of those picks have, at least, 2 pick swap options attached, some 3. We could win 0 games the next 7 years and we probably won't see a pick (even in the years we have one) inside the top 20.
Sunk cost. Good gm will just have to maximize what they have and it will likely be picks in the 18-24 range. You can land pro players there. And if you’re lucky and a great talent evaluator, even a star

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Each of those picks have, at least, 2 pick swap options attached, some 3. We could win 0 games the next 7 years and we probably won't see a pick (even in the years we have one) inside the top 20.
That’s if Brooklyn becomes some juggernaut. It’s easy to discount the picks, but they are picks. This board seems to think we have no assets for the next 6 years and that just isn’t true.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s if Brooklyn becomes some juggernaut. It’s easy to discount the picks, but they are picks. This board seems to think we have no assets for the next 6 years and that just isn’t true.
Correct. The nets won 32 games. The wizards won 15 games. We won 17 and 34 more games than each. Swaps aren’t likely with them unless we blow it up or have dramatic injuries.

The only swap that has teeth is the magic and I believe they only have one.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
True. My point was James Jones is an idiot who blows off the draft... and will probably continue to do so, even now when we desperately need what picks we do have to count.
I know he blew the 2020 draft...but the cam Johnson pick was a good one...I do hope that we adopt the Nuggets model of trying! I find athletic wings in the late first early second round

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort