Isn't zone defense illegal in the NBA?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Huh?!?!?! :thud:

I spent 10 minutes on Lakersground today reading all of the excuses, conspiracies and the rare "we just got beat" convos. But this certainly takes the cake.

We found a way to counter Jackson's impenetrable Triangle Offense. Now, Laker fans are worried. They wont admit it, but there is at least a sliver of a doubt in their minds

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cry me a freaking river Laker fan.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with your team getting dominated on the boards, our hot 3 point shooting, your lack of Defense... None of that cost you the game right?

It was ALLLLL the refs. 100% you got us. Cuz you know how much the networks and the NBA really want Suns/Boston instead of Lakers/Boston, yea that makes sense.

What a joke. If I was a Laker fan with so many rings as they have, I would hold my team a bit more accountable instead of making a bunch of excuses and grasping to straws about conspiracy theories.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silly Laker fans.

If the refs had ever called OFFENSIVE three-seconds on SHAQ, the Lakers never would have won a title.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Those were the exact two issues I pointed out prior to game 3.

Only game 3? I guess the refs gave us game 4 then.

Anways, I didn't mean you Donald. You're a class act but you have to admit you're in the minority when it comes to Laker fans in general.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only game 3? I guess the refs gave us game 4 then.

Anways, I didn't mean you Donald. You're a class act but you have to admit you're in the minority when it comes to Laker fans in general.

If I pointed them out prior to game three, that would also be prior to game four, jouknow?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If I pointed them out prior to game three, that would also be prior to game four, jouknow?
I should read more carefully, thought you said 'after' game three.

Muhbad

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Rational and lucid Laker fans are a rare breed.

about 1 in 20 have a clue over there.

I like the thread about how offensive fouls should only be called if the players are equal in size.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

about 1 in 20 have a clue over there.

I like the thread about how offensive fouls should only be called if the players are equal in size.

I refuse to believe that a real person would ever make such an absurd argument.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only person who took the original question seriously. The NbA does not have a classic zone like college and international ball. The center can only stay in the lane for 3 seconds, or so it is supposed. It is rare for the refs to call very many defensive three second calls, but the Lakers are just as likely to leave guys in the lane in hope's of stopping Amare,

The NBA zone is actually modified "switching defense" and doex not work without very active defenders. It is used against the Suns to limit the pick and roll plays, but the big problem comes when shooters rush their shots. That is why ball movement is so important.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry, but Channing Frye should have been called for defensive three seconds at least 10 times in game 4. It was actually rather incredible that he only got called for it once, when the game was esentially over. That said, if the refs aren't going to call it, you might as well keep doing it.

In all truth, the Lakers lost because the Suns stepped up their shooting at home, the Suns bench had one of the better bench performances I have ever seen in game 4, and because the Lakers have lost their aggresiveness on defense which has left them more likely to pick up early fouls enabling the Suns to get into the penalty early in quarters. We will see if the same trends will be there in LA tonight. If they are, the Suns will have a chance to close out the Lakers in 6. If not, the Lakers will be up 3-2.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only person who took the original question seriously. The NbA does not have a classic zone like college and international ball. The center can only stay in the lane for 3 seconds, or so it is supposed. It is rare for the refs to call very many defensive three second calls, but the Lakers are just as likely to leave guys in the lane in hope's of stopping Amare,

The NBA zone is actually modified "switching defense" and doex not work without very active defenders. It is used against the Suns to limit the pick and roll plays, but the big problem comes when shooters rush their shots. That is why ball movement is so important.

You should clarify. The center can only stay in the lane for 3 seconds IF there is nobody within arms length near him. If you're guarding someone, you can be in the lane for all 24 seconds. And if there is a violation in that case, it will be 3-in-the-key on the offense.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Our record on lucid thought and humility ain't much better. Just sayin'. It's easy to go to another team board and get offended, but they do the same thing coming here.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I am sorry, but Channing Frye should have been called for defensive three seconds at least 10 times in game 4. It was actually rather incredible that he only got called for it once, when the game was esentially over. That said, if the refs aren't going to call it, you might as well keep doing it.

In all truth, the Lakers lost because the Suns stepped up their shooting at home, the Suns bench had one of the better bench performances I have ever seen in game 4, and because the Lakers have lost their aggresiveness on defense which has left them more likely to pick up early fouls enabling the Suns to get into the penalty early in quarters. We will see if the same trends will be there in LA tonight. If they are, the Suns will have a chance to close out the Lakers in 6. If not, the Lakers will be up 3-2.

Trust me when I say this, the refs aren't looking out for Channing Frye. If he was in the lane for 3 seconds, I am damn sure they'd call it on him more than anyone because he tends to make the stupid plays he does look really obvious, whether its a foul or a 3 second violation. The Suns bench plays that well more often than not and Game 1 and 2 were an aberration when it came to the Suns' bench play. I hope they can keep it continuing, something the Suns have been able to do all season.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
Trust me when I say this, the refs aren't looking out for Channing Frye. If he was in the lane for 3 seconds, I am damn sure they'd call it on him more than anyone because he tends to make the stupid plays he does look really obvious, whether its a foul or a 3 second violation. The Suns bench plays that well more often than not and Game 1 and 2 were an aberration when it came to the Suns' bench play. I hope they can keep it continuing, something the Suns have been able to do all season.

I wasn't suggesting at all that they were giving Channing some sort of break, I am just saying that they didn't call it even though they could have many times. That said, if they are not going to call it, I would do it too.

As for the Suns bench, I hope they don't show up for at least two of the next three games. :)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We found a way to counter Jackson's impenetrable Triangle Offense. Now, Laker fans are worried. They wont admit it, but there is at least a sliver of a doubt in their minds

Actually OKC found it, we just copied and improved on it.

Go Devils

Rookie
Reaction score

1st You are sorry, 2nd Bynum and Gasoft should have been called at least 10X each for 3 seconds in the lane on the offensive side... Quit dreaming up excuses, someone from LA, Boston or Chicago crying foul is going to fall on deaf ears as they have been getting preferential treatmant for decades let alone crooked trades.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
1st You are sorry, 2nd Bynum and Gasoft should have been called at least 10X each for 3 seconds in the lane on the offensive side... Quit dreaming up excuses, someone from LA, Boston or Chicago crying foul is going to fall on deaf ears as they have been getting preferential treatmant for decades let alone crooked trades.

What excuse did I make? All I sid was that Frye could have been called many times for Defensive 3 seconds, but if they are not going to call it, he might as well keep doing it. Also, did you even read the second paragraph were I praised the Suns and explained why I thought they won games 3 and 4?

Sheesh, I don't mind being ripped for my opinions, but it would help if you actually read and understood what I wrote.

cly2tw

Reaction score
What excuse did I make? All I sid was that Frye could have been called many times for Defensive 3 seconds, but if they are not going to call it, he might as well keep doing it. Also, did you even read the second paragraph were I praised the Suns and explained why I thought they won games 3 and 4?

Sheesh, I don't mind being ripped for my opinions, but it would help if you actually read and understood what I wrote.

Initially, I was wondering the same. But looking more closely, Lakers players were constantly cutting through the paint. I believe that restarts the defenisve 3-sec. count each time.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for teams to try to stay in the paint as long as they can. Getting posterized by Amare a few times seems to have that effect.

BTW, I'm unclear on exactly how the three second rule works. When a low post beast get into position, what can the defender do? Can a big man simply push the defender into the paint to force a three second call?

Errntknght

Reaction score
It is not uncommon for teams to try to stay in the paint as long as they can. Getting posterized by Amare a few times seems to have that effect.

BTW, I'm unclear on exactly how the three second rule works. When a low post beast get into position, what can the defender do? Can a big man simply push the defender into the paint to force a three second call?

The rule is stated that the defender cannot stay in the paint for 3 seconds unless he is guarding someone closely. The interpretation of closely is being within arms length. The offensive player he is guarding does not have to be in the paint - and you see that taking place all the time with the offensive player just outside the paint and the defender inside. Offensive players cutting through the paint do not 'restart the clock' - unless they happen to cut close in front of a defensive player and then its just his 'clock'.

While a defensive player can seal an offensive player in the paint to get a 3 second offensive call, an offensive player can't do that since once he gets close the defender is guarding him. I don't know, maybe if a defensive player was backing out the the lane and an offensive blocked his egress, they might call it.

One of the most common ways to precipitate a D-3 call is when a defensive player starts to move out of the lane, an offensive player makes a quick move toward the spot the defender is vacating but then slows and stays more than an arms length away.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The rule is stated that the defender cannot stay in the paint for 3 seconds unless he is guarding someone closely. The interpretation of closely is being within arms length. The offensive player he is guarding does not have to be in the paint - and you see that taking place all the time with the offensive player just outside the paint and the defender inside. Offensive players cutting through the paint do not 'restart the clock' - unless they happen to cut close in front of a defensive player and then its just his 'clock'.

While a defensive player can seal an offensive player in the paint to get a 3 second offensive call, an offensive player can't do that since once he gets close the defender is guarding him. I don't know, maybe if a defensive player was backing out the the lane and an offensive blocked his egress, they might call it.

One of the most common ways to precipitate a D-3 call is when a defensive player starts to move out of the lane, an offensive player makes a quick move toward the spot the defender is vacating but then slows and stays more than an arms length away.

I figured it had to be something like that, but at times it feels like the old "illegal defense" kind of problem when the ball gets passed from side to side and the defender is trying to follow the ball and gets hung up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson