Isiah Thomas

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iverson went #1 so they couldn't take him, but other than Kobe or Nash whom 12 or more teams passed up, Isiah had some company. While Camby didn't have the offensive game, he was one hell of a defensive player throughout his career. His drafting those 4 years helped TOR become a power in the East early in their history. Again, I will agree that his trade history is atrocious but he was strong at talent scouting.
I guess if you're judging him solely by the ability to recognize talent rather than his willingness to develop those players than he was good at this aspect of his job. But to me, if you draft a project and then ship him out before he can become a real player, you're not great at the drafting thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When your teams are that bad and you have really high picks, its really not that hard. He did draft Camby for instance, but in doing so he passed on Marbury, Iverson, Kobe, Ray Allen, Peja and Steve Nash.
Iverson was the first pick in the draft.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess if you're judging him solely by the ability to recognize talent rather than his willingness to develop those players than he was good at this aspect of his job. But to me, if you draft a project and then ship him out before he can become a real player, you're not great at the drafting thing.
I counter the bad Camby trade with the swap of Antawn Jamison for Vince Carter and picks from GS. It's not the GM's job to develop talent, plus back then Camby was very injury prone and it took him until his last few years in league to turn into a DPOY type player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In New York he built the league’s worst roster and also the most expensive. His teams never had any success and he heavily mortgaged the future of the club with zero return.

Thomas is among the worst executives of all time. Period.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
If they're friends Matt can get some stories and anecdotes from Isaiah. That could be valuable, but sounds like he should not be hired :p

JJ has impressed this offseason. No need to make any changes there, but talent scouting or at least development, is something that has room for improvement.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson