Isaiah Simmons and the 5th year option

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Simmons will continue to play in the slot. This isn’t rocket science.
if he does, then there must be something on film we dont see

what does show are shiftier players taking advantage of him in coverage

playing deeper-- his long speed is an advantage, and he is much better when he can see and run downhill

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
if he does, then there must be something on film we dont see

what does show are shiftier players taking advantage of him in coverage

playing deeper-- his long speed is an advantage, and he is much better when he can see and run downhill
I guess. He was fine in the slot as a more physical presence last season. It's where he spent most of his time. Obviously you're not building around Isaiah Simmons at this point. The place where he's among the best 11 is at slot corner (probably).

You're safer having Thompson and Budda patrolling the deep halves and maybe snagging some balls. IMO.

football karma

Reaction score
I guess. He was fine in the slot as a more physical presence last season. It's where he spent most of his time. Obviously you're not building around Isaiah Simmons at this point. The place where he's among the best 11 is at slot corner (probably).

You're safer having Thompson and Budda patrolling the deep halves and maybe snagging some balls. IMO.
with all the nickel personnel played on D -- i could see some sort of 4-2-5 (3-3-5?) alignment where Simmons is the third safety but plays closer to the LOS.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's unlikely Simmons isn't here in 2024 because we played him out of position. He's lined up all over.

He's just not very good at playing football.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's unlikely Simmons isn't here in 2024 because we played him out of position. He's lined up all over.

He's just not very good at playing football.
He's just not good enough at playing football to justify his draft status, expectations, and salary.

He'll find a job somewhere in the NFL next season; he'll probably just not get the $25 million guaranteed that he was hoping for.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He's just not good enough at playing football to justify his draft status, expectations, and salary.

He'll find a job somewhere in the NFL next season; he'll probably just not get the $25 million guaranteed that he was hoping for.
Simmons will be the classic case of another team taking a chance, because they can fix him.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah since the new regime has no skin in the game with regards to Simmons, I don't see him returning to the Cardinals unless he has some sort of renaissance season. I think the best thing for him will be a change of scenery next year.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Simmons will continue to play in the slot. This isn’t rocket science.
You're probably right but one writer thinks differently. Last season it was Starbacker, this season there's speculation that Simmons is going to be filling the CJC role as a MONSTERback safety.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah since the new regime has no skin in the game with regards to Simmons, I don't see him returning to the Cardinals unless he has some sort of renaissance season. I think the best thing for him will be a change of scenery next year.
I’m thinking he will play well for us this year. Since Simmons carries a top ten draft designation his agent will want his big payday which means he won’t be on the team next year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect that he will play some combination of the slot corner and a safety in the style of Bucannon.

I suspect this won't work all that well and he will see his playing time diminish as the year goes on.

I think the right coach/system could make a damn good linebacker out of him, but it seems it won't happen here.

football karma

Reaction score
You're probably right but one writer thinks differently. Last season it was Starbacker, this season there's speculation that Simmons is going to be filling the CJC role as a MONSTERback safety.

thats pretty interesting

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave