Is it me?

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
or should I not read too much into spring training....but the dbacks don't look very good. :bang:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Spring isn't even a week old so don't get too upset. Pre-season is all about getting ready for the year and many of the pitchers are trying new pitches and will only throw that pitch for an outing. If we are playing bad by the end of March it will be time to worry but not now.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
heard we had the worst record of all the teams in spring training.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
heard we had the worst record of all the teams in spring training.
Spring training is the time for decision making. Who will be our 1B? Who will start the season at 3B? Who will be our #5 starter? Who will bat where in a consistent batting order (thank goodness)? Who will be our 7th inning and set-up pitchers? Who will not make the 25-man roster? And now, who will be our 3B coach until Matty's foot heals?

As well as preparation, such as who will respond with solid fielding? And a change from home runs-or-strikeouts to line drives.

As long as good decisions are made by opening day, that is all the matters. That is when our W-L record begins.

If we came into the season with a winning record last year, a set lineup and a set rotation and bullpen, then a bad Spring Training record would be demoralizing.

Not so with a Manager conducting his first Spring Training and a toughness the D'backs have never seen.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Texas had the worst record in the cactus league last year. They turned out pretty well.

thats encouraging, but when you look at their roster and our roster i see a big difference in talent. in all seriousness, i just want to see some good baseball out of the dbacks this year but my expectations are not high at all.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
thats encouraging, but when you look at their roster and our roster i see a big difference in talent. in all seriousness, i just want to see some good baseball out of the dbacks this year but my expectations are not high at all.

I agree with ya. While I hope the D-Backs do well I really have no clue how this team will turn out. If we can get the type of years we expect out of Upton, Young, Drew, and Montero that will go a long way to helping us out. If we can get some of the young guys to grow up quick and prove to be major leaguers then we could shock some people.

My whole point is never pay attention to win/loss records in any sports preseason. We are constintly changing lineups, using guys who will be playing in AA ball or lower, and some guys are just trying out new things. Hell we've seen guys trying to steal a ton (unsuccessfully) because they are working on timing moves and getting better jumps. Too many things that are different from a regular season go on in spring training to look too close at it.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to look for good news in the record then look at the fact we have won 4 of our last 5 games and we have been in every game we have played for the most part this spring.

Figured I'd give some of the people who are down on the team a little something to look forward to.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
If you want to look for good news in the record then look at the fact we have won 4 of our last 5 games and we have been in every game we have played for the most part this spring.

Figured I'd give some of the people who are down on the team a little something to look forward to.

Wasn't really worried about it. Spring means nothing.

What concerns me GREATLY is the brutal friggin' April they will have to endure. There is no overstating that schedule. It is HARSH.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lefty to break up the righties. We don't have a big bopper, so there is really no cleanup hitter anymore.
That makes sense. Plenty of time to change the lineup if someone else emerges as a #4 hitter...

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
im not worried about our offense. this season will depend on the development of our young starters and the bullpen bouncing back.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
A lefty to break up the righties. We don't have a big bopper, so there is really no cleanup hitter anymore.

There are no big boppers now that they've cracked down on PEDs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn