Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon Favreau Signed for Iron Man 2
Source: Deadline Hollywood Daily
July 10, 2008

Deadline Hollywood Daily is reporting that director Jon Favreau has reached a deal with Marvel Studios to direct Iron Man 2, which is targeted for an April 30, 2010 release.

Robert Downey Jr. had a sequel clause in his contract so he's on board. Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow will likely return as well.

Budgeted for about $140 million, the first film has earned a massive $563.8 million worldwide.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Loved the first one.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we know who they bad guys will be? I loved the first but I want more from the villian.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the ending of The Incredible Hulk (Which was a good movie) suggests that we might either see a cameo of Norton, or a Justice League type deal later on.

Anyways, loved Iron Man. Very good movie. Really looking forward to this one.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the ending of The Incredible Hulk (Which was a good movie) suggests that we might either see a cameo of Norton, or a Justice League type deal later on.
By the time IM2 is out, they'll probably already have an Avengers movie ("Justice League type") either in the can or filming.

They've done a good job this year of making these movies (IM and Hulk) feel like they take place in the same "universe" with the little touches like he cameos. I suspect that RDjr's cameo in the Hulk is sets up the reason the Avengers (or, it may be called the "Ultimates," I dunno which direction they'll take) have to get together in the first place: to stop the Hulk. (why else would IM come to Gen. Ross to tell him about the "team?" Ross' sole mission in life is to stop the Hulk).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting there will be, I'm suggesting the Hulk will be in the Avengers/Ultimates movie.

No, that's what I was suggesting. That since there won't be a franchise around the Hulk, we'll probably definitely see him in the Avengers movie.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Cant wait to see where they take this..... IronMan was great.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Variety, Marvel is changing writers for the second movie, going with actor/filmmaker Justin Theroux to pen the sequel, which is planned for a late April release in 2010.

Theroux acted in McG's Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and HBO's "Six Feet Under." He also wrote and executive produced Ben Stiller's upcoming war comedy Tropic Thunder (also starring Robert Downey Jr.), and presumably Marvel saw that he could write comedy and action suitable for shellhead's sequel.

(Marvel Studios themselves haven't commented on any of the developments on the sequel as of yet.)

------------------------------------------------------------

Strange development. The first one was well received...why change writers? :shrug:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------

Strange development. The first one was well received...why change writers? :shrug:
Maybe they didn't like the treatments that were coming in.

Did Favreau write the first one in addition to directing it?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't like the treatments that were coming in.

Did Favreau write the first one in addition to directing it?

The main screenwriting credit was given to Mark Fergus with 3 others credited also: Hawk Ostby, Art Marcum, and Matt Holloway.

Favreau was only credited as the director.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sources: Comingsoon.net, MTV, CHUD, etc.

During a press event held to promote the September 30 release of “Iron Man” on DVD, writer/director Jon Favreau had quite a bit to say about the film’s much-anticipated sequel, as well as the story that will potentially lead into a third “Iron Man” film.

--Favreau, who admires long-form storytelling, has clearly given extensive thought to big-screen franchises, speaking in detailed terms about what worked and what didn't in the "The Lord of the Rings," "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" trilogies, and he expects to find storylines and themes that will carry through the second film and conclude in a third. He said he doesn't foresee any problems devoting the bulk of his filmmaking efforts to seeing the franchise through to the end.

--Robert Downey, Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) and Terrence Howard (James "Rhodey" Rhodes) are all on board for the sequel and enthusiastic about revisiting their characters. And Favreau will be back on screen as well as behind the camera, with a (possibly expanded) role as Happy Hogan.

--He recently met with Downey at the actor's home and discussed at length the kind of character beats and moments he hopes to have when he returns to the character. Downey also introduced Favreau to actor/screenwriter Justin Theroux, who impressed Downey with his work on the actor's second summer hit Tropic Thunder, and Theroux is now working with Favreau to develop the story.

--Iron Man's classic comic book nemesis the Mandarin, the Asian crimelord who sports ten powerful ring weapons (alluded to in the first film through references to the terrorist cell the Ten Rings) will most likely emerge as a primary antagonist, although Favreau is still wrestling with how to address the villain's mystical origins and fit them into the high-tech world established in the debut film. It's also possible the Mandarin may not be fully revealed as the "Big Bad" until a possible third film to avoiding overexposing a potentially intriguing enemy .

--Favreau plans to follow the first film's themes of integrating social and political themes into the adventure and fantasy, and he hinted at a current global situation providing some inspiration – possibly an allusion to plans to utilize Iron Man's Russian counterpart, the Crimson Dynamo.

--Impressed by the use of IMAX footage in The Dark Knight, Favreau's very open to including both IMAX and 3-D sequences in the sequel.

--The most well-known storylines from the comic book series – "Demon in a Bottle," in which Stark becomes an alcoholic, and Rhodey taking over the role and armor of Iron Man during Stark's recovery – are expected to be included, possibly both in the second sequel. Rhodey's role in the first film was not as expansive as originally intended, and Favreau expects to rectify that.

--Favreau is also having designs developed for Rhodey's "War Machine" armor, and even more upgraded and tricked-out versions of Stark's suit may be utilized.

--Marvel's current plans to set its upcoming slate of films – including Iron Man 2, Captain America, Thor and The Avengers – in the same shared universe as Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk is a tricky but still inviting prospect for Favreau, who plans to utilize his improvisational background to find clever ways to integrate certain elements of the other films into the sequels, enhancing and not disrupting his own storytelling needs. He thinks Cap and Hulk fit fairly easily into Iron Man's world, while Thor is more of a challenge.

--The director is finding a degree of inspiration in comic book writer Matt Faction's current run on "The Invincible Iron Man," which he feels in turn found inspiration from his film.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
--The most well-known storylines from the comic book series – "Demon in a Bottle," in which Stark becomes an alcoholic, and Rhodey taking over the role and armor of Iron Man during Stark's recovery – are expected to be included, possibly both in the second sequel. Rhodey's role in the first film was not as expansive as originally intended, and Favreau expects to rectify that.

I'd like to see a bulk of IM's story to try to involve this, if only because it humanized Tony Stark in a way that few comic books have... until it became a running gag for Wizard Press (not that I'm complaining, some of the jokes are pretty funny).

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a bulk of IM's story to try to involve this, if only because it humanized Tony Stark in a way that few comic books have...

I agree.

Also, I don't think they ought to try to make the mandarin a tech-adversary. I like the contrast between mysticism and science, and think it ought to stay. But between the comments about how to work around it ("Favreau is still wrestling with how to address the villain's mystical origins and fit them into the high-tech world established in the debut film") and the comment about how Thor doesn't fit, I think they're trying to ground this movie in the "real" world, despite the fact that this world also includes Cap, Hulk and other Avengers.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This casting change SUCKS.

I love Cheadle, but he is not Rhodes/War Machine. :|

Bad, bad move.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another casting change? :shrug:

According to Entertainment Weekly, Scarlett Johansson is in discussions with Marvel Studios to replace Emily Blunt for the role of Russian superspy Natasha Romanoff, who doubles as Black Widow, in Iron Man 2.

Blunt's commitment to 20th Century Fox and the studio's upcoming Gulliver's Travels may prohibit her from co-starring in the superhero sequel.

Marvel will not confirm, but sources tell EW that Johansson has indeed met with the filmmakers and is interested in taking the role. Blunt's reps are still trying to make both projects work, but "Gulliver's" is further along, with a start date of April 15. Iron Man 2 still doesn't have a shooting script and a start date has not yet been determined.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johansson would make an excellent Black Cat/Felicia Hardy in the Spider-Man franchise...Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow? Not so much.

JMHO