Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The Cardinals spent a great deal of time with him at Iowa State's Pro Day on Tuesday. He will probably be available at top of second round, but not at the top of third. Watched the kid for two years. His upside is enormous, but he will take a year to fully develop and get max value. A year with Larry Fitzgerald would benefit him greatly.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...confident-hes-best-receiver-draft/3275445002/

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
With only 2 Combine participants and a collection of undersized UDFA candidates I’m surprised the Cards sent anyone. This guy would be a major project. He body catches, can be slowed with press coverage and is not smooth on his cuts. He’ll be round 5 or later I would say if I were taking him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With only 2 Combine participants and a collection of undersized UDFA candidates I’m surprised the Cards sent anyone. This guy would be a major project. He body catches, can be slowed with press coverage and is not smooth on his cuts. He’ll be round 5 or later I would say if I were taking him.

Agreed.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

So I'm guessing the Cardinals will take him with the first pick in the third round then. The Cardinals seem to like to use their third rounder on major projects.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I cannot get past the issue with NOT CATCHING THE BALL CONSISTENTLY.

There is no doubt the guy is an absolute BEAST of an athlete, but you HAVE TO CATCH THE BALL!!!!!!!

Many a day during lunch break I stare at his name at pick #33 and pause and think. Butler has the size and athleticism, but is he a better football player than, let's say Deebo Samuel ?

Good problems to have at #33, TBH

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed, and Agreed.

But do not doubt the power of the underwear Olympics.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I cannot get past the issue with NOT CATCHING THE BALL CONSISTENTLY.

There is no doubt the guy is an absolute BEAST of an athlete, but you HAVE TO CATCH THE BALL!!!!!!!

Many a day during lunch break I stare at his name at pick #33 and pause and think. Butler has the size and athleticism, but is he a better football player than, let's say Deebo Samuel ?

Good problems to have at #33, TBH

Deebo is the best WR sans injury concerns.

Look at his 2018 Clemson tape.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'd take either.

oh -- me too. I like Harry a lot

my concern with him: he might be a bit like early Larry Fitz--

for the not-old-guys: there were threads and threads during Larry's first couple years that he couldn't get separation from NFL dbs / could only make jump ball contested catches.

Getting open only happened after Larry became a WR technician. Will Harry devote that same attention to detail?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

for the not-old-guys: there were threads and threads during Larry's first couple years that he couldn't get separation from NFL dbs / could only make jump ball contested catches.

Getting open only happened after Larry became a WR technician. Will Harry devote that same attention to detail?

That kind of makes me think of Rob Moore, could get downfield and make the catch but had next to nothing in YAC, he'd catch it and fall down.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. He is not really a body catcher. In fact he has huge hands and have seen him catch many passes one-handed.

He obviously didn't drop to many because he caught 60 balls for 1318 yards in 2018. That's a 21.97 average.

I guess you could say he's slowed by press coverage and but he's also over 6'5" and almost 230 ibs. He makes up for some of that with size and strength. He's a guy that can make catches even when he's covered. With his reach he will get to some balls that other receivers just can't get to.

He's also a very good blocker. I can imagine him blocking for Kirk on a bubble screen. Just have to disagree with your analysis. I did have the chance to see him in person and he dominated.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. He is not really a body catcher. In fact he has huge hands and have seen him catch many passes one-handed.

He obviously didn't drop to many because he caught 60 balls for 1318 yards in 2018. That's a 21.97 average.

I guess you could say he's slowed by press coverage and but he's also over 6'5" and almost 230 ibs. He makes up for some of that with size and strength. He's a guy that can make catches even when he's covered. With his reach he will get to some balls that other receivers just can't get to.

He's also a very good blocker. I can imagine him blocking for Kirk on a bubble screen. Just have to disagree with your analysis. I did have the chance to see him in person and he dominated.

I don’t think you could find a game with 5 catches where he didn’t make or miss a reception due to body catching. Granted it’s hard to body catch a ball you can only get one hand on.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh how people forget.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Big fan of Butler! He's been training with Calvin Johnson, which doesn't hurt either. He is an absolute bear to bring down after the catch and is a great blocker. Both extremely important in the offense we will be running! As others have said, I would love him or Harry for this team!

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Butler's big competitive advantage is his height. Unique in this years WR prospects. If he's going to be covered by CB2 or a nickel guy when everyone else is on Larry and Kirk, it'll give fits to the defense.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

From what I've seen of him, his upside is big. He does have some issues to resolve. His reads aren't always on (which way he should cut), he has some problems tracking the ball at times, and as was said he can be slowed up quite a bit. Even with all that he'll end up a top 40 pick with that speed and height, imo. He'll be good in the RZ, but so would a couple of TE's in this draft.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
From what I've seen of him, his upside is big. He does have some issues to resolve. His reads aren't always on (which way he should cut), he has some problems tracking the ball at times, and as was said he can be slowed up quite a bit. Even with all that he'll end up a top 40 pick with that speed and height, imo. He'll be good in the RZ, but so would a couple of TE's in this draft.
I'd like to address the reads. One has to remember that Butler's starting quarterback that he'd played with the year before got hurt in Iowa States first game of the year against Iowa. They brought in a redshirt freshman, Zeb Noland, for 2 1/2 games and he struggled. They then turned to true freshman and Arizona native Brock Purdy. He was able to do a much better job because he could run, but also mainly because he was smart enough to just throw it up to Hakeem Butler and let him go get it. He and his three quarterbacks may not have been on the same page, especially with a good share of the year working with a freshman quarterback.

He also has good bloodlines. His cousins are Aaron and Andrew Harrison of Kentucky basketball fame, both now playing in Europe.

As was also mentioned he has been working with Calvin Johnson. In the videos I watched Calvin was teaching him to use his hands to get separation at the line of scrimmage.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I don’t think you could find a game with 5 catches where he didn’t make or miss a reception due to body catching. Granted it’s hard to body catch a ball you can only get one hand on.
I agree that he does let some get into his body. But let me ask you this. In those games where he missed a catch did he also make a big or game changing play?

I think one would be hard pressed to find a game where he didn't affect the game with one or more big plays.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Butler is the best WR in this draft. We have no shot at him imo but if he's there at 33 it should be a snap decision.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson