Insider - Chat with Chad Ford

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chat with Chad Ford

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford will drop by to take your questions on Wednesday night's NBA draft. Ford writes daily NBA Insider columns for ESPN Insider. He also is a frequent contributor to ESPN.com and ESPN the Magazine, and makes appearances on ESPN Radio and ESPNEWS.
Send in your questions to Chad now, then join him right here in The Show on Wednesday at 1 p.m. ET!

Chad Ford: It's here. After months of speculation we'll finally find out tonight what happens. I've been an NBA fan my whole life and the highlight for me each year is the draft. Tonight is the only night that every team in the league is a contender. Pick the right guy and in a year or two you could be competing for a championship. Pick the wrong one and the fans are storming the castle. Wish I could say I KNEW everything that was going on. But with so many contingencies, there's bound to be some surprises. Let's see if we can get through the whole first round.

Steve (Toronto): "With the first pick in the 2006 NBA draft, the Toronto Raptors select..."?

Chad Ford: Andrea Bargnani. I said the Raptors would take Bargnani on lottery night and haven't backed off from it. They love him and at the end of the day, that trumps everything else.

Brian Scottsdale, Az: Seriously, what do you think are the chances of Rudy Gay going number 1 overall?

You must be registered for see images
Chad Ford: 10 percent. If it's not Bargnani then I'm told it will be Gay. With that said ... it's going to be Bargnani.

Ben, Chicago: Has John Paxson locked into Tyrus Thomas, LaMarcus Aldridge, or Andrea Bargnani yet?

Chad Ford: He told me he was still deciding last night. However, I think they've been leaning for the past six weeks toward Thomas. Doesn't make any sense to change now. In my opinion, Thomas has the most upside of anyone in the drat and is the guy most likely to become a star in five years.

Matt (Columbus, OH): Hi Chad, big day today, I can't wait either. Do you think Michael Jordan having final approval on all player personnel decisions in Charlotte a blessing or a curse?

Chad Ford: Michael will be fine. He got duped by Kwame but so did everyone else. Bernie Bickerstaff told me last night it's either Rudy Gay, Adam Morrison, Brandon Roy and Andrea Bargnani. I think Roy was MJ's favorite but the fact that he blew off the workout didn't go over well. I don't think he's a Morrison fan ... that leaves us with Gay.

Widmer (Portland, OR): Chad, there's NO WAY the Blazers can pass on Morrison. Just no way. Fans would hate the management even more (if that's possible). So, given they take Morrison @ 4, what do they do with 30 & 31?

Chad Ford: I agree that fans will revolt if they pass on Morrison. But let me ask you .. why spend millions of dollars on scouting if you're just going to do what the fans tell you? If Thomas, Roy or Aldridge are there ... I think they're better players and the Blazers should take the best player. What fans really care about is winning.

CC (Atlanta): At least last year w/ Marvin Williams we THOUGHT the Hawks were gettting the 2nd best player in the draft. But Shelden Williams @ 5??? Say it ain't so!!!!

Chad Ford: Oh boy. I had Marvin Williams ranked No. 1 on my board. Chris Paul No. 2. I felt the Hawks should take Paul, however, because he fit a need. This year I have Shelden Williams ranked 16th. He does fit a need, but that's just because the Hawks need everything except athletic swingmen. I would've traded down and grabbed Rondo.

brendan (madison, wi): Roy/Thomas/Foye/Morrison----who'sthe best fit to help KG and the WOLVES this next season?

Chad Ford: Next year? Morrison. Put KG at the four, Ricky Davis at the two and let Morrison play at the three. The Wolves need a guy who'll take a big shot at the end of the game ... that's not really KG. I like Morrison here. The Wolves will have the most emotional front line in the league. Roy and Foye would also be great fits.

Johnny, Beantown: What's the latest with the C's? Iverson?

Chad Ford: Danny Ainge told me yesterday, and I quote, that an Iverson deal was "not going to happen." However, I've learned that where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And there is A LOT of Iverson smoke out there right now. I don't think Danny would lie to me ... but this is the time of year when I wouldn't trust my grandmother if she was an NBA GM.

Chad Ford: And no ... I don't have a clue who they're drafting. In my mock, I have Roy falling to them and I think that's a no brainer. I also think Foye's a possibility. Suns would also like to do a trade here.

Jacques (houston): Chad, if Roy isn't available at the 8 spot for the rockets do you see them going Brewer or Reddick or Carney?

Chad Ford: They're trying to trade up for Roy. They might be able to do it if he slips to Minnesota at No. 6. If Roy, Gay, Thomas and Morrison are all off the table, they could punt. Lots of interest from teams moving up and the Rockets favorite players are off the board. I put Randy Foye here ... a nice pick for them if they keep it.

Ernest (San Francisco): Give me something positive about what the Warriors will do in the draft...PLEASE!!!!

Chad Ford: Are you still paying attention. I forgot the Warriors were even in the draft. They finally worked out Patrick O'Bryant yesterday. So it could be him. I think, however, that a team high on a guy like Ronnie Brewer, Rodney Carney or Cedric Simmons may try to trade up here. The Bulls are a definite possibility.

Brian (Issaquah, WA): Any new news about the Sonics trading out of the 10th pick? How did Hilton Armstrong move from a late first-rounder to a potential lottery pick so quickly?

Chad Ford: Sonics talking trade with lots of teams, mostly Phoenix and New Jersey, but if they keep it, they'll probably go big with Hilton Armstrong, Ced Simmons or Saer Sene.

Chad Ford: Sorry for the delays ... my phone is ringing like crazy.

Mickey Mouse (Orlando): Happy Draft Day Chad, please tell me the magic are drafting someone who will actually show up this year.

Chad Ford: Wow. A little Fran Vasquez bitterness? Is this Otis Smith? I can GUARANTEE you that the Magic won't go international this year. I'm hearing Redick to Orlando. Personally, I like Ronnie Brewer here, but he may not be there.

tim (columbus, ohio): I am a huge Sixers fan and am hearing all these rumors around Iverson today but I think they could deal Dalembart and get something back....any way they deal Sammy by the end of the night? Also, I think if they keep Iverson they need a PG and Marcus Williams fits the mold....he reminds me of Deron Williams of Illinois last year.

Chad Ford: I think the Sixers will be involved in trades, but I'm not sure it will be draft night. Sounds like they're settling into picking No. 13. Hearing either Cedric Simmons, Hilton Armstrong or Shawne Williams here. I don't believe Marcus Williams is in the picture. Maybe Rondo, however.

Farrell, Mearaux, Louisana: I havent heaard much news about the Hornets. Do you think they will be in anything big today?

Chad Ford: Do we ever "hear" much about the Hornets. They're the quietest team in the league. I've got to change my mock a little here. I'm hearing Ced Simmons or Hilton Armstrong over Patrick O'Bryant.

Ben (Utah): If the Hornet pass O'Bryant and he falls to the Jazz will they take him?

Chad Ford: Tough call. If Foye or Brewer are on the board, I think they take them. Then it's between Sene, Hilton Armstrong, Rodney Carney and Thabo Sefalosha in my opinion.

Chris (chicago): Hey Chad, wasn't there talk at one point about the Bulls trading the #2 pick for an established NBA player and I heard something about Shawn Marion to the Bulls? What are the chances of a last minute trade? (will not stop asking until answered!!!)

Chad Ford: OK ... I know there's a lot of Bulls trade talk. Here's my opinion and that's all it is. If the Bulls make a big trade it will be for Kevin Garnett. I think a package of No. 2 (Wolves would take Tyrus Thomas) and No. 16 (probably a point guard like Marcus Williams) along with a young player like Luol Deng or Ben Gordon has to be intriguing. But if a deal like this were to happen, it couldn't happen untill mid July for cap reasons.

Danny (Houston TX): Huge Pacers fan. I have been following the draft for some time and heard that Bird is in lovewith a guy who can fall to them at 17. I think he is talking about either Marcus Williams or Jordan Farmar. I personally like Farmar (too many Reggie Miller similarities not to like him) and think he is a better athlete with less baggage, but everyone predicts Williams going first, why? and will the 'cers get Farmar?

Chad Ford: I think point guard isn't they're biggest need, but it looks like Williams, Farmar and Rondo are all seriously in the mix there. Could mean we're going to see Jamaal Tinsley shipped somewhere.

Juan (DC): Hey Chad, What do you see the Wizards doing with the 18th pick?

Chad Ford: I'm hearing Olexsiy Pecherov -- a Keith Van Horn Ukrainian clone. Good shooter. Decent athlete. Good rebounder.

Gerson(Harlem,NY): With all the internal strife going on within the Knicks organization who do you think they will pick up with the two first round picks? In my opinion they should go for the best defensive players in the draft.

Chad Ford: I"m not sure in New York. Knicks need to win now. Not a lot of guys in this spot in the draft that can help. I hear Shannon Brown could be a possibility and Shawne Williams.

Mark (Des Moines, IA): Hey Chad. What do you think the Suns will do tonight? Could Marion and/or Barbosa be traded?

Chad Ford: Mike D'Antoni is insisting that they won't trade Marion tonight or this summer. But Marion is sure showing up in a lot of rumors. I think they're trying to move up to get an athletic big or another big time swing man. If they stay here, probably either Shannon Brown or Rondo.

chris (state of rutgers): Can the Nets get any sort of helpful big body without making a trade?

Chad Ford: I don't think so. They're trying to trade up to get Hilton Armstrong or Cedric Simmons but I don't think it's going to happen. Good news is that Rondo could still be on the board and he'd be a great pick. Ditto for Kyle Lowry. They also like Quincy Douby.

Lee (Memphis, TN): What are the grizzlies going to do? West has said he is going to shake the team up this year. Is he going to repair his image with the draft? (Come on give the little teams some love on this thing)

Chad Ford: He's trying to move up and I've been told they have several big deals brewing -- most of them involvling Shane Battier. I hear Jerry likes Morrison.

Carlos ( New York, NY): Chad, What percentage of picks did your mock draft predict last year? Do you know your historical percentage?

Chad Ford: About 2 percent. Just kidding. Here's my feelings on mock drafts. It's a litle like picking the NCAA tournament. A little knowledge helps, but what you need is a lot of luck. Teams aren't just TELLING you who they're taking and there are trades and contingincies and the like. Really the mock, to me, is about entertainment. With that said, I believe that other internet publications have rated my mock the most reliable over three of the past four years. But, take that with a grain of salt. I miss more than I get right.

Ryan (Cleveland, OH): Are the Cavs taking Gibson at 25? If not are they planning on either trading their 2 second round picks to move up or are they considering an under the table deal with Drew Gooden?

Chad Ford: I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that's one of the many bogus rumors running around. Maybe Farmar or Kyle Lowry or if he's still on the board, Shannon Brown.

Pete (NY): What're the Lakers gonna do?

Chad Ford: Trying to move up. They like Brandon Roy (like everyone else it seems). If they stay put, the word, mostly from his agent, is that James White is the guy.

Satchal (Dallas, TX): What are the chances the Mavs trade Marquis Daniels some time tonight and what sort of interest is there in him?

Chad Ford: I think it's a real possibility. Lots of people like Daniels and it could get them up higher in the draft ... perhaps to a team like the Warriors at 9.

sal ( ny ): Give me you TOP 3 OVER RATED players in this draft?

Chad Ford: 1. Shelden Williams ... if he's going five.
2. Hilton Armstrong ... bigs like this are bust 90 percent of the time.
3. Shawne Williams ... great talent but very questionable head.

James, BOSTON: Whose the most underrated players in the draft?

Chad Ford: 1. Brandon Roy -- If I was Charlotte, I'd take him at three.
2. Ronnie Brewer -- Love him. Think he'll be a very good pro.
3. Rajon Rondo -- if he ever develops a decent jumper, watch out.

Tim (Houston): If I were a smart GM, I would trade my pick for this year and make a big splash in the draft next year. Thoughts

Chad Ford: Lots of people thinking like you Tim. Lots of the trade talk centers around trading a pick this year for one next year. Given the depth of the draft next year ... teams are understandably reluctant. We'll launch our 2007 Top 100 tomorrow ... but here's sneak preview at the Top 5:

1. Greg Oden, C, Ohio State
2. Kevin Durant, F, Texas
3. Joakim Noah, F/C, Florida
4. Josh McRoberts, F, Duke
5. Al Horford, F, Florida

Joe (The Seventh Layer aka Atlanta): As one of the 9 hawks season ticket holders, we all want to know, is there any way we don't draft shelden williams? Maybe trade down to take one of the three point guards?

Chad Ford: To me ... the most exciting pick in the draft will be at No. 5. This Shelden Williams stuff, first reported by me, has taken on a life of its own. If it's bogus we'll hear a hugh collective sigh of relief in New York coming all the way from Atlanta. If it happens, I believe we'll hear the groans and the "Fire Billy" chants. The only thing that will be more explosive ... the Blazers passing on Adam Morrison. I think Blazers fans will burn down the arena.

Chad Ford: I've got to run everyone. Wish we had more time. We'll be updating my blog and mock draft throughout the day as new information comes in ... so keep checking back. And don't forget to follow the NBA draft live here on ESPN.com. I'll be providing live, pick by pick analysis of the draft.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, great stuff. Can't wait for tonight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort