Indy Rumor from a Good Source - Cards not active in Free Agency due to trading down

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There’s a theory going round that the Cards are so passive in Free Agency because the number of needs & the depth of the draft is causing them to favor trading down. They believe Indy is getting trigger happy and will likely trade with the Cards if Indy believes the Cards will move down, which Indy feels is increasingly probable. The question is whether the Cards are soft playing Free Agency because they intend to move down multiple times to accumulate picks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a theory going round that the Cards are so passive in Free Agency because the number of needs & the depth of the draft is causing them to favor trading down. They believe Indy is getting trigger happy and will likely trade with the Cards if Indy believes the Cards will move down, which Indy feels is increasingly probable. The question is whether the Cards are soft playing Free Agency because they intend to move down multiple times to accumulate picks.
It is the best way that the Cards can turn it around. Trade down multiple times and hope this front office is good enough to draft the right people. Risky and nerve wracking considering our past.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd be amazed if both teams weren't already deep in negotiations.

There's an argument for multiple trade backs. You can build a foundation of youth across the whole team instead of a couple of luxury players.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It is the best way that the Cards can turn it around. Trade down multiple times and hope this front office is good enough to draft the right people. Risky and nerve wracking considering our past.
I'm starting to agree with this...if only because one of the selling points of the coaching staff is that they are all teachers. This tells me they have zero problem going as young as possible and just rolling with draft picks for a couple years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm starting to agree with this...if only because one of the selling points of the coaching staff is that they are all teachers. This tells me they have zero problem going as young as possible and just rolling with draft picks for a couple years.

I feel like for the first time in a long time we have a staff interested in and capable of coaching players up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This isn't Madden. Most of your draft picks aren't going to pay off. If you have an absolutely epic draft class you're going to get useful starters or better out of FOUR of your picks.

Really, no matter how many picks you have.

Then, you create a problem for yourself four years down the road when you have four solid starters coming up for free agency at the same time.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't Madden. Most of your draft picks aren't going to pay off. If you have an absolutely epic draft class you're going to get useful starters or better out of FOUR of your picks.

Then, you create a problem for yourself four years down the road when you have four solid starters coming up for free agency at the same time.
Four starters would be one hell of a draft. Agree an epic draft for sure. The draft should be a component of the rebuild.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This like acquiring a dozen penny stocks instead of acquiring Apple, Exxon Mobile, JP Morgan Chase in your stock portfolio.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I feel like for the first time in a long time we have a staff interested in and capable of coaching players up.
Interested? Agree. Capable? I really hope so but too early to know for sure. Will hope for the best.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

that’s why I hope they trade down for future picks (2024, 25) so this exact situation doesn’t occur.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

And even with only one, we know how that has played out.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

All I know is that the Eagles starting roster was made up of majority of their own draft picks. Very unusual, but maybe Gannon and Monti see that as the way... but the Eagles are now experiencing that exodus which I think you are alluding to

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only trade I want is down to 4 with the Colts get an extra pick or maybe two and get Anderson. Let’s not get too cute with this. Rather have quality over quantity at this point. We are two years away at best. Build through the draft with smart FA moves. The exact opposite of Kiem.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All I know is that the Eagles starting roster was made up of majority of their own draft picks. Very unusual, but maybe Gannon and Monti see that as the way... but the Eagles are now experiencing that exodus which I think you are alluding to
Cool but drafted over how many years? I bet it’s more than one or two!

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only trade I want is down to 4 with the Colts get an extra pick or maybe two and get Anderson. Let’s not get too cute with this. Rather have quality over quantity at this point.
4 is the max drop they should take. Even that is gambling

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As a “strategy” this makes little sense. One isn’t dependent upon the other. The idea way to build a competitive team is to leverage all avenues of talent acquisition available to you. Even if you trade down and garner a few picks in the first three rounds odds are they don’t all pan out, and even those that do won’t do so immediately. Having the players at different levels of development is typically a plus. To me this sounds like people trying to come up with reasons the cards aren’t doing squat.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd be amazed if both teams weren't already deep in negotiations.

There's an argument for multiple trade backs. You can build a foundation of youth across the whole team instead of a couple of luxury players.
Now we are calling players with all pro potential “luxury players.” You can’t make this stuff up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose