In regards to the those who believe Parker guarded Marion

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I'm not sure which poster on here originated this idea, but I just got done re-watching the Suns/Spurs series, and Shawn Marion was not, and I repeat, WAS NOT guarded by Tony Parker. I counted only 13 individual possessions throughout the 6 games where Parker ended up on Marion, and all these were the result of either fast break mismatching or defensive switches on a pick. He was never assigned to primarily guard Marion.

I would suggest to those who have spread this misconception to stop, and that anyone who has anything about this in their signature should probably change it, because Marion was not shut down by a tiny PG. ;)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
who did guard him?

i ask b/c you've watched the games with this in mind and we know the following:

bowen guarded nash
ginobili guarded raja
oberto and elson guarded amare
duncan guarded kurt
doesn't that just leave parker? or did parker cover raja and ginobili cover marion? in which case ginobili shut him down.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
Finley guarded him primarily. Manu spent a lot of time on him when Finley went to the bench. Horry spent some time guarding him until his supension. Duncan spent some time guarding him in games 1, 5 and 6. Oberto and Elson spent a lot of time on him in game 5 to start the game, but Bowen was put on him after he caught fire. Matt Bonner and Brent Barry were assigned to guard him also, but very rarely.

Parker spent the majority of his time guarding Bell.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'm not sure which poster on here originated this idea, but I just got done re-watching the Suns/Spurs series, and Shawn Marion was not, and I repeat, WAS NOT guarded by Tony Parker. I counted only 13 individual possessions throughout the 6 games where Parker ended up on Marion, and all these were the result of either fast break mismatching or defensive switches on a pick. He was never assigned to primarily guard Marion.

I would suggest to those who have spread this misconception to stop, and that anyone who has anything about this in their signature should probably change it, because Marion was not shut down by a tiny PG. ;)

Why? I taped Game 4, but I don't want to even look at it again, ever.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey Sac. This is OT but how badly do the Kings want to move Artest?

cly2tw

Reaction score
Well, I'm among many who claim Marion got shut down by PGs like Terry, Harris, and Parker.

Actually, Marion was so invisible in most games, nobody seemed to remember who guarded him. But for the 13 times, how did Marion fare, how many times did he score against Parker?

Also, Bell normally should be able to post up Parker well. How come we didn't go to doing that more often, while watching Nash struggle for a lot of TOs?

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
Well, I'm among many who claim Marion got shut down by PGs like Terry, Harris, and Parker.

Actually, Marion was so invisible in most games, nobody seemed to remember who guarded him. But for the 13 times, how did Marion fare, how many times did he score against Parker?

Also, Bell normally should be able to post up Parker well. How come we didn't go to doing that more often, while watching Nash struggle for a lot of TOs?

There wasn't a whole lot of time for Marion to exploit the mismatch since, like mentioned previously, it was 13 times over a 6 game stretch. That's barley two possessions a game, and I don't think Marion got to touch the ball but more than 4-5 times during those possesions. We're talking about such a marginal amount of time with Parker on Marion, that it's really a non-issue. To come to a conclusion on how Marion fared against Tony Parker's defense in that series would be downright laughable.

As far as Bell posting up Parker? Who knows. I'm not involved with coaching decisions on the team. If I had to guess I'd say that D'Antoni doesn't believe Bell has a good post-up game, and that help defense in the form of Tim Duncan would have rendered Bell's post-ups obsolete.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the great challenges of coaching is whether to try to exploit mismatches or let guys do what they are best at. Having Bell post up anybody would be a mistake since he's not experienced at playing back to basket nor at protecting the ball in the paint.

One of the reasons Diaw is so intriguing is the way he can create so many different kinds of mismatches: blowing by bigs or posting up smaller players. Bell is a very valuable player, but he's not that kind of guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson