Imagine thinking you don’t need to sign a pass rusher…

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Keims strategy of letting captains leave every year is really paying dividends from a leadership and resilience standpoint.

“What if we pay some guys with long hair tho…?”

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh no let’s not start the Gardeck hype here was laughable
Imagine Dennis Gardeck recapturing the magic that suggested he’s actually Lawrence Taylor though.

No need to even scout free agent pass rushers.

MartinD

Rookie
Reaction score
Through the first two games of 2022, Gardeck has the same number of sacks as Jones (0) and one more tackle... per ESPN stats. In 2021, Jones lost his mojo as the year went on. He was great in his day, but that day may never return. I was glad the Cardinals didn't sign him to a big contract.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
And the guy I think has the most promise of the bunch is the one who has been a healthy scratch for the first two games.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Through the first two games of 2022, Gardeck has the same number of sacks as Jones (0) and one more tackle... per ESPN stats. In 2021, Jones lost his mojo as the year went on. He was great in his day, but that day may never return. I was glad the Cardinals didn't sign him to a big contract.
The comparison isn't necessarily between Chandler & Gardeck. I was fine not re-signing Jones at that price. The problem is having no back up plan or plan to try and replace him in general. They needed to go out and sign a legit replacement pass rusher. Gardeck is a rotational guy or back up at best.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peterson, Reddick, and C Jones were never truly replaced, Simmons has apparently been benched and the only person making a play is JJ Watt. This defense is worse than the super bowl losing one.

Ehhh on Peterson. After seeing his level of play and effort last year in Minnesota I’d say he was replaced.

Reaction score
The point is not that the Cardinals should have thrown money at Chandler Jones; CJ was great for the Cardinals during his years in Arizona, but I fully believe the Raiders will regret giving Jones the contract they did.
But the point is, having made the decision (good) to not retain Jones, the Cardinals did way too little to replace the production Jones had provided over his years in Arizona.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point is not that the Cardinals should have thrown money at Chandler Jones; CJ was great for the Cardinals during his years in Arizona, but I fully believe the Raiders will regret giving Jones the contract they did.
But the point is, having made the decision (good) to not retain Jones, the Cardinals did way too little to replace the production Jones had provided over his years in Arizona.

Well to be fair. Prime elite pass rushers like CJ in his prime just don’t grow on trees. People here say “replace that production” like it’s just so easy to do.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont think that was the choice, but the point stands......

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
we need to Bears to lose, Cardinal WRs to get healthy and Keim can trade Andy Isabella for Robert Quinn

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
… because you have Dennis Gardeck.

Imagine.
So who exactly did you want them to sign? Reddick?

Have you seen how badly he's playing so far this year?

To me the answer was always to draft pass rushers - did we succeed with that, maybe not, but it's hard to get pass rushers outside the first round.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've seen Such mentioned before. . .
But, I think he is as close or closer to done than Chandler Jones!
I disagree. Chandler Jones is an edge rusher & is paid to sack the QB obviously, his best days are definitely behind him. Suh on the other hand, yes his dominate days are behind him but he can still push the pocket, which has always been his job. He had 6 sacks the last 2 seasons each. Any sacks you can get from him is just a bonus. A DL with a nasty streak that can push the pocket is what we need. Dogbe & Lawrence can't give much of that. Imagine someone pushing the pocket freeing up Watt & Gardeck or Golden off the edge? Question is how much does Suh want? I've heard 9 million so Keim probably won't pay that. We could use him & he's always on the field which we could use more guys like that.

Last edited: