If You Were Steve Keim

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
How would you approach FA and the draft?

Here's what i would do.

1---use FA to add much needed leadership and toughness to the defense.

2---sign a TE and G in FA and then use the draft to add energy and juice to the offense and STs.

#1 FA target: Dont'a Hightower, ILB.

Salary: 5/$60M/$30Mg

Not only are we adding one of there top 5 inside linebackers in the NFL, we are securing 5 years of outstanding leadership---and a brand of mental and physical toughness that we need.

#2 FA target: Logan Ryan, CB.

Salary: 4/$30M/$16Mg

Ryan is the kind of physical press cover CB and stellar run supporter (92 tackles in 2016) we need opposite Patrick Peterson. The Patriots often put Ryan on the opponents' best WR and gave him safety help over the top. Imagine if the Cardinals did this and put Peterson on the opponents' #2 WR. That kind of scheme switch could be brilliant.

#3 FA target: D.J. Swearinger, FS.

Salary: 4/$22M/$11Mg

Swearinger showed great improvement in all aspect of FS play---and he is the kind of physical presence we want in the middle of the field. If he turns down this salary offer, then offer it to Duron Harmon, who has been in lock-step with Logan Ryan since their college days at Rutgers.

Departures on defense:

1. Calais Campbell, DE. Will go to the highest bidder.
2. Tony Jefferson, SS. With Tyrann Mathieu moving back to SS, Jefferson is not as much of a priority. The way the Cardinals use the SS position it is a glory position because of the way they blitz from that spot. It would be better to spend the money at ILB and CB.
3. Tyvon Branch, S. Releasing him saves $2.8M on the cap.
4. Daryl Washington, no show. Good riddance once and for all.
5. Marcus Cooper, CB. The addition of Ryan makes re-signing Cooper moot.

Defense in the draft: needs DE, OLB, S

See mock draft at end.

#1 FA Target on Offense: Jermaine Gresham, TE.

Salary: 3/$18M/$8Mg

Gresham can pick up where he left off last season when he went into beast mode.

#2 FA Target: John Jerry, G.

Salary: 2/$10M/$5Mg

Jerry graded out at 84.4% as a pass blocker in 2016. We need to protect Carson Palmer.

#3 FA Target: A.Q. Shipley, C.

Salary: 2/$4M/$2Mg

Put him in competition with Evan Boehm. Provides quality insurance.

Draft:

13. Derek Barnett, DE/OLB, Tennessee or Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA. We need depth on the edge and insurance in case we lose Chandler Jones to FA in 2018.

45. Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio St. or ArDavius Stewart, WR, Alabama or Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington or Zay Jones, East Carolina. Four of the best slot WRs in the draft. Samuel could be a coup because he can take snaps at RB as well.

77. Chris Wormley, DT/DE, Michigan or Jhaustin Thomas, DT/DE, Iowa St. or Davon Godchaux, DT/DE, LSU. Here's where we add another good young 34DE to the mix.

120. Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia or Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego St. or S Eddie Jackson, Alabama or S Marcus Maye, Florida. 4 of the most aggressive DBs and STs aces in the draft.

157. Corey Clement, RB, Wisconsin or Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego St. or De'Veon Smith, RB Michigan. Good, versatile RBs and STs.

179. Keith Kelsey, LB, Louisville or Ben Boulware, LB, Clemson or Skia Moore, LB, South Carolina. Depth at LB and STs.

197. Jalen Robinette, WR, Air Force. Has good length (6-4, 215) and a nose for the end zone.

231. Matt Milano, SS, Boston Coillege. Plays very much like Tony Jefferson. Makes a ton of TFL plays and QB pressures. Good STs player.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm on board Mitch. 5,4,3,2.....until the first post saying draft BPA in each round. I get that you basically did that by where the strength of the talent level at different positions in this years draft. Obviously you did factor need in your picks but anyone who doesn't think teams do that to some extent are naïve.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch - If you were Steve Keim, you might (according to his own description) be out of a job.

Reason: No mention of a QB - either a draft pick or veteran FA?

Gotcha, Big Guy!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Does anyone really believe—still—that Tyrann Mathieu is a safety of any type? He's a nickel corner, and the Cards go with essentially 3 CBs and 1 deep safety in their "big" packages. You could also say that the Cards play a 3-3-5 base defense with Minter as the only true ILB.

Signing guys the Pats let go has historically been a bad strategy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Does anyone really believe—still—that Tyrann Mathieu is a safety of any type? He's a nickel corner, and the Cards go with essentially 3 CBs and 1 deep safety in their "big" packages. You could also say that the Cards play a 3-3-5 base defense with Minter as the only true ILB.

I don't know about that. Their home grown players on defense haven't been terrible if you signed the higher end players.

Vince Wilfork has been good since he has left.
Richard Seymour was good after he left.
Ty Law also.
Lawyer Milloy also.
Chandler Jones also.

Their fringe FAs have generally been busts. Same with players who they brought in from other organizations, got some use out of, and then let go.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

This, because if anything they had him playing out of position early on last season at safety because they did not want him up front in the scrum so to speak... healthy, he will be back to his old X factor ways on the field more in tune as a nickel position

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

+1, when it comes to Tyrann Mathieu is without a double a liability on this roster until he proves otherwise going forward. He is not a safety, and puts the team in a tough position when it comes to where money is being spent at what position. For the money Mathieu makes he better start being able to play safety and better than he already has. Yet, all that being said, I do not think that happens.

-1, I am all for signing Dont'a Hightower, just like I was all for drafting him during his draft year. If we sign Hightower we get the ILBer we need AND he can rush the passer, thus the Cardinals can then let Alex Okafor walk, and Hightower would be replacing both Minter and Okafor.

As a side note, Larry Warford is begrudgingly off my free agent list. He will command about 9mil a season, and that is too rich for Cardinals blood this offseason.

I would let Campbell, and Jefferson walk as well. When it comes to cuts, I would put Justin Bethel, and Cory Peters (who I really like) at the top of the list. While I like Peters, I think Xiaver Williams would not be a huge downgrade at the position.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

K-9: It seems as though traditional position-labels are becoming obsolete. We have safeties assuming $LB roles. PFF and other services have foregone DE and OLB labels in favor of Edge terminology. DT's and 3-4 DE's are now considered Interior Linemen.

My "brave new world" (where teams line up with 11 defensive players who are all 6-3 250 lbs, can run like deer or stop an elephant) and are used interchangeably from snap to snap - is becoming a reality.

Doesn't matter if the Badger plays FS, nickel corner or roving LB - so long as he does his job and racks up the necessary numbers.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Hightower: 65 tackles - 2.5 sacks
Minter: 85 tackles - 3.5 sacks
Okafor: 3.5 sacks in limited playing time.

PFF Grades:

#1 LB: Hightower---85.7
#6 LB: Minter---81.0

Snaps in 2016:

Hightower: 864
Minter: 1,001

ESPN Top 50 FA:

#8 Hightower
#41 Minter

Career Sacks:

Hightower---17
Minter---5

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good work Mitch. Can't bitch much about there being no QB picked, although I'd say it's better than 50/50 that they do pick one by the 3rd-4th Rd.

I like the idea of picking up Jerry for the RG, hopefully he holds up better then Mathis did.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hightower: 65 tackles - 2.5 sacks
Minter: 85 tackles - 3.5 sacks
Okafor: 3.5 sacks in limited playing time.

I've made this argument. There's not really a difference between Minter and the Alabama linebackers except perception.

Hightower isn't really an upgrade and if he is its not that big of a difference

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've made this argument. There's not really a difference between Minter and the Alabama linebackers except perception.

Hightower isn't really an upgrade and if he is its not that big of a difference
Sigh.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
PFF Grades:

#1 LB: Hightower---85.7
#6 LB: Minter---81.0

Snaps in 2016:

Hightower: 864
Minter: 1,001

ESPN Top 50 FA:

#8 Hightower
#41 Minter

Career Sacks:

Hightower---17
Minter---5

Eye test

Hightower >>>>>> Minter

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
K-9: It seems as though traditional position-labels are becoming obsolete. We have safeties assuming $LB roles. PFF and other services have foregone DE and OLB labels in favor of Edge terminology. DT's and 3-4 DE's are now considered Interior Linemen.

My "brave new world" (where teams line up with 11 defensive players who are all 6-3 250 lbs, can run like deer or stop an elephant) and are used interchangeably from snap to snap - is becoming a reality.

Doesn't matter if the Badger plays FS, nickel corner or roving LB - so long as he does his job and racks up the necessary numbers.

I agree but just because you put a player at a position doesn't mean he will be effective.

I will never look at Deone Bucanon the same again after how he was completely and utterly dominated and man handled in Buffalo.

So, yes we can line up Mathieu at FS, but that doesn't mean he will be any good at it. When Harlan Miller looks better at FS than Mathieu that is a problem. IHMO.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
So, yes we can line up Mathieu at FS, but that doesn't mean he will be any good at it. When Harlan Miller looks better at FS than Mathieu that is a problem. IHMO.
Yes, and that position remains a problem. Maybe Miller can be the next Jefferson and take it to the next level. It's such a critical position on the D though. Don't think that the strength of Mathieu's game is in handling space.