If Kyler Played in the Late 80’s/Early 90’s...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I’m becoming more concerned that Murray might more resemble Doug Flutie than Russell Wilson...
If he played back when Flutie played, I seriously don’t think Kyler would be a consistent NFL starter.
But the offense/WR/QB-friendly NFL of today might allow Murray to squeak by just enough to keep him a starter for a few more years...

But his mechanics are terrible...He rarely, if ever sets his feet and gets his shoulders in proper position to throw the ball. Hence, he is often missing high and often under-throws the deep balls, even though his arm is strong enough to get it downfield without a problem.

Did Keim draft a later model of Doug Flutie? [emoji30]

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m becoming more concerned that Murray might more resemble Doug Flutie than Russell Wilson...
If he played back when Flutie played, I seriously don’t think Kyler would be a consistent NFL starter.
But the offense/WR/QB-friendly NFL of today might allow Murray to squeak by just enough to keep him a starter for a few more years...

But his mechanics are terrible...He rarely, if ever sets his feet and gets his shoulders in proper position to throw the ball. Hence, he is often missing high and often under-throws the deep balls, even though his arm is strong enough to get it downfield without a problem.

If you dropped Kyler Murray off in the 90s they would think he was an alien.

drop any of these guys off in the 80s and 90s and it’s the same.

different level of athleticism today

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
My point is:

- Kyler reminds most of Flutie

- Kyler is flawed, but because of the current set-up of the NFL, his flaws are masked

- If he is unable to fix his incredibly poor throwing mechanics, I am very skeptical of his ability to achieve sustained success, even in the ever-increasing pass friendly NFL.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you dropped Kyler Murray off in the 90s they would think he was an alien.

drop any of these guys off in the 80s and 90s and it’s the same.

different level of athleticism today

Yep, the average offensive lineman in the 80s was 280, in the 90s it was 6'4 300 lbs. Today's players would absolutely destroy players of the past. Khalil Mack tossed Wirfs Thursday, with one arm. Wirfs is 6'5 340 lbs.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-50s-tim-tebow-would-have-been-an-offensive-lineman-2011-10

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My point is:

- Kyler reminds most of Flutie

- Kyler is flawed, but because of the current set-up of the NFL, his flaws are masked

- If he is unable to fix his incredibly poor throwing mechanics, I am very skeptical of his ability to achieve sustained success, even in the ever-increasing pass friendly NFL.
Well first off he isn't playing in the 80s/90s so kind of pointless to compare.

Also he does not have "incredibly poor throwing mechanics". He does have some bad habits (throwing off back foot being probably the biggest) that he needs to clean up, but no major mechanical flaws in his throwing really.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Lets put him on the rack. You would be amazed at what 1 hour on the rack will do for one's mechanics.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What'll really blow your mind is to reverse the question. What would Flutie's career be like today?

Then think Murray should be a good deal better than that.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It isn't like Doug Flutie sucked. And, his NFL career was more late 90s and early 00s. He played into his 40s.

Not a deeply thought out comparison, IMO. Sorry 82.
Hey, as a guy who was attending college in RI while Flutie was lighting up the world at BC, I have been and remain a huge Flutie fan!
Doug never enjoyed sustain success in the NFL however... though, if he were entering the NFL today, I think he would probably have seen a bit more winning... and, I think his career would’ve looked much like what I think Kyler’s might, might, MIGHT look like... or, if Kyler played back at the time Flutie played, his career would’ve probably looked a lot like Doug’s...

I hope Kyler develops and rounds out the rough edges! But right now, I see things that concern me...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Flutie had the advantage of experience at the position but it's a poor comp when one considers Murray's superior athletic ability and arm strength

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose