If I were other teams, two things would greatly concern me

Reaction score
Despite rattling off win after win, usually by decent margins, I would argue the Suns have yet to play their best basketball.

If I were UT, LAC, or the Eastern Conf guys, these things would concern me:
*Booker, despite his points, has not been in the zone for the past two games. He missed very Booker-esque shots, including some reasonably open 3s. He was only 2-8 from 3; well under 50% for the game from 2s.

*Payne was only 1-6, which yes was the result of a lot of fouls.

*For the whole Nuggets series, the Suns have missed a high number of layups on drives. The team shot over 50% and I kept thinking they were REALLY off.

*The only thing that shook the Suns D over four games was in Game 4 when Denver shook up their lineup. It was as if the Suns hadn't practiced against "those guys." Yes, MP3 had a very hot night, as did a couple of others (Campazzo, Barton). This was the only game in the series where Williams was outcoached.

*Unless the next coach is as bad as Denver's, Paul won't get to dribble to that same exact spot on the court for his shots. (SIDEBAR) Back in the day at ASU I played pickup games in the OLD Sun Devil Gym. There was another history professor, Prof. Paulsen, who had one shot. Only one. It was a semi-hook from the right side, just outside the key. He couldn't shoot overhand, couldn't go left. But that darned guy was a genius at moving, going around picks and you KNEW where he was gonna end up and still couldn't stop him.

Let's hope Paul is the same, because the next team will deny him that spot.

Throughout the Denver series, I kept thinking Ayton had really good games, only to see that he was outscored 2:1 minimum and ended with 10-12 rebounds. Still, it FELT like he was making Jocic work really hard, that he was a threat defensively (even though Crowder, not Ayton, blocked the shots). Maybe he's one of those guys who doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a LOT of things that would concern me. This team might let a lead dwindle some but will rarely give it up. If they get up 10 on you they clamp down on D on you can’t get back.

There really isn’t a matchup you can take advantage of. They can go small, they can go big. Their deep bench players are legit players that could start on a lot of NBA teams. Moore and Galloway are better players than Denver’s starting backcourt this series (and yes I know injuries, still it’s our deep bench against their bench).

This team is a joy to watch because it is a team that was built the right way and plays the right way. Unselfish team ball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deny Chris Paul at your own peril. He can hit from about any spot on the floor and shot .395 from three range this season.

What's great about Paul, if you take something away, he will take advantage.

When Denver took away the mid-range shot he drove for layups.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Deny Chris Paul at your own peril. He can hit from about any spot on the floor and shot .395 from three range this season.

What's great about Paul, if you take something away, he will make take advantage.

When Denver took away the mid-range shot he drove for layups.
Yup great point. When they showed high he waltzed to the hole.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are a LOT of things that would concern me. This team might let a lead dwindle some but will rarely give it up. If they get up 10 on you they clamp down on D on you can’t get back.

There really isn’t a matchup you can take advantage of. They can go small, they can go big. Their deep bench players are legit players that could start on a lot of NBA teams. Moore and Galloway are better players than Denver’s starting backcourt this series (and yes I know injuries, still it’s our deep bench against their bench).

This team is a joy to watch because it is a team that was built the right way and plays the right way. Unselfish team ball.
Interestingly enough monty has shortened his bench more than our opponents thus far, so we haven’t gotten as much as usual. I’ve found that kinda odd considering our bench was a strength all season. But it’s played out to the positive, so I won’t question it. And if guys were gassed as a result it still a win bc now they have extra rest.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to the commentary and they said the Suns biggest strength is the balanced scoring. If prevents teams from keying on one person all the time. Who do you focus on? You have to leave someone open to double team or roll to the person with the ball. You can't cover every player on the Suns 1 on 1. So pick your poison.

Contribution by the guys not named Paul or Booker is the key to the next series and beyond.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

They can really only go big with Ayton. The key will be keeping him out of foul trouble against teams with size.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
I was listening to the commentary and they said the Suns biggest strength is the balanced scoring. If prevents teams from keying on one person all the time. Who do you focus on? You have to leave someone open to double team or roll to the person with the ball. You can't cover every player on the Suns 1 on 1. So pick your poison.

Contribution by the guys not named Paul or Booker is the key to the next series and beyond.
Correct. This is why the missing layups concerned me. Also Bridges and Crawford were pretty cold from the 3. Crawford was not getting his catch-and-shoot but was having to take one dribble. Not his game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae Crowder is usually best when he has time to set his feet for 3-point shots. When he doesn't it often results in misses.

I'm glad Mikal Bridges has developed another shot as an option where he drives in the lane for a short jumper. He can also fly on the fastbreak.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose