ICYMI: a sit down with Elie Okobo

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He needs to develop a go-to NBA skill imo. None of our backup guards can do everything, but each has a bankable skill.

Carter is a high-energy defender.
Galloway is instant offense.
Payne can run a second unit (I think; small sample size)
Moore can make reliable decisions consistently.

All four are above average NBA three point shooters (again, small sample size on Payne and Carter).

Okobo doesn't have any of those to offer reliably at this point.

Added: I posted this right before reading your comment about "having a skill to hang your hat on" comment in another thread. I completely agree with that, obviously.
I think your “skills” are questionable for Payne and Moore. Payne isn’t truly a lead guard. He’s a scoring pg (if the bubble experience is to be fully trusted). But it works with our bench members. And “reliability” isn’t really a “skill.” It’s important, and it’s likely what’s kept Moore in the league, but it’s not a “skill” the way we’re talking about it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Its just time to move to known veterans. We are not in development mode right now and if we were, we would be looking for more likely candidates. Okobo had a window to get it done and just did not. He could develop more but it will probably be in Europe or with a rebuilding team.
I think a smart team is always in development mode. It’s what’s kept teams like the Spurs at the highest levels for decades. Obviously the core pieces are crucial, but to remain a contender you have to continue to develop great role players and even the occasional star (kawhi).

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think your “skills” are questionable for Payne and Moore. Payne isn’t truly a lead guard. He’s a scoring pg (if the bubble experience is to be fully trusted). But it works with our bench members. And “reliability” isn’t really a “skill.” It’s important, and it’s likely what’s kept Moore in the league, but it’s not a “skill” the way we’re talking about it.

Both fair points...Maybe "skill" is the wrong word. An NBA attribute? At any rate, "reliability" is an attribute many recent Suns have lacked, and I'm glad to have more players who possess it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Elie is good at burning bridges...

What makes you say that?

I think Elie needs to concentrate on being a pass first point guard. His turnover to assist ratio isn't bad. He needs a calling card as you mention. He is only 23 so it's possible. Phoenix using him as a shooting guard didn't help.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/okoboel01.html

I think his problem is that he's not a point guard, definitely not a pass first PG. He played SG in France prior to being drafted and coming over to the NBA. He seemed to play best when he was looking to score himself also, usually by dribble penetration. He also played more SG in the G League.

I do hope he catches on somewhere. He seemed like a good kid and he reminded me of Barbosa a lot in how he talked and his personality. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on a two way deal either.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okobo had every chance to prove something, more than enough time, just didn’t do anything well. Not even a (I’m guessing) a 20+ point game, or a game where he just went crazy on assists, or even a game where he made like 3-4 threes in a row.

Idk, he just seemed like he didn’t have any lasting memories. The barbosa comment, eh he didn’t connect with the fan base the way Barbosa did.

just out with the old regime of players except those that matter now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you say that?

I think his problem is that he's not a point guard, definitely not a pass first PG. He played SG in France prior to being drafted and coming over to the NBA. He seemed to play best when he was looking to score himself also, usually by dribble penetration. He also played more SG in the G League.

I do hope he catches on somewhere. He seemed like a good kid and he reminded me of Barbosa a lot in how he talked and his personality. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on a two way deal either.

I like that personality comparison to Barbosa. It fits. Never thought of it that way before.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Elie Okobo eventually makes his way back to the NBA. He is still only 23.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media