Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That title belongs to one:

You must be registered for see images

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please don't tell me any of you would really take Nash over Paul right now?

Please?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
So you actually think that Chris Paul is the worst defensive PG in the league? or are you arguing that between him and Steve Nash, Steve Nash is a better defender?

Last edited:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
So you actually think that Chris Paul is the worst defensive PG in the league? or are you arguing that between him and Steve Nash, Steve Nash is a better defender?

He just leads the league in steals every year but is the worst defensive PG.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pointing out that hes getting torn up by Billups. The sarcasm sensors amongst some of the thread contributors must not be working very well.

Regardless, i do think that Chris Paul's defense is vastly overrated despite him leading the league in steals.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Or, to use the stats category joshstmarie prefers, Nash leads all PGs in charges taken, he must be the best defensive PG.:D;)

cly2tw

Reaction score
Pointing out that hes getting torn up by Billups. The sarcasm sensors amongst some of the thread contributors must not be working very well.

Regardless, i do think that Chris Paul's defense is vastly overrated despite him leading the league in steals.

That's true. Particularly, Suns fans too much rely on their own viewing experience when Paul destroyed Nash with his defense everytime we met. Did he have 10 steals in a game against us? At least one time with 7. It's natural our perception would be grossly biased given our firm belief that Nash were the best offensive PG all time.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score

Steals really has very, very little to do with how good a defender a player is. Chris Paul is not a very good defensive point guard. He's better than Nash for sure, but that's not surprising given his physical advantages.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Steals really has very, very little to do with how good a defender a player is. Chris Paul is not a very good defensive point guard. He's better than Nash for sure, but that's not surprising given his physical advantages.

Actually he is, he is just a relatively small PG and Billups is the biggest PG in terms of actual size and style.

He has always taken advantage of small PGs by posting up etc.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That title belongs to one: Chris Paul

Chris Paul is a leader in steals, gives up 17.6 Points from the guard position per 48. NO has the 2nd best defense PER at the Guard position. Paul has one of the best defensive PER's in the NBA.

Steve Nash is a leader in turnovers, gives up 22.5 Points from the guard position per 48. Phoenix has the 5th worst overall PER at the Guard position and Steve has one one the worst defensive PER's in the NBA.

P.S. Billups has torn up guards smaller then him his entire career.

Chris Paul the worst?

HUGE FAIL

NO also has the 2nd best Offensive PER (Points per 48) at the PG position. Which is ahead of Nash and the Suns!!!!

That means he gets it done at both ends.

That means Paul owns Nash on both ends of the court.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
NO also has the 2nd best Offensive PER (Points per 48) at the PG position. Which is ahead of Nash and the Suns!!!!

That means he gets it done at both ends.

That means Paul owns Nash on both ends of the court.

You know it's too brutal to tell this TRUTH to some here, don't you!:D

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And cut...

End of thread.
Yeah, all this fan love for Nash @ 36 yrs old is only rivaled by the denial.
Chris Paul and Steve Nash comparisons....? Ok sure, but to tout Nash and bash Paul(say that 10 times fast)is ludicrous.
I'd say Nashy is still a top 5 NBA PG, but in terms of his value to the SUNS at this point in time is being vastly overrated. He's a defensive eyesore on a SUNS team that needs to rebuild.......on the CELTICS he's still a difference maker and a game changer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know it's too brutal to tell this TRUTH to some here, don't you!:D

I never can figure out why certain posters have to get their jollies by picking on Steve Nash. Comparing Nash and Paul at different stages of their careers is ridiculous. Nash was never athletic enough to play much more than position defense whereas Paul does not have this excuse. Basketball is more than stats. Nash has two NBA MVP awards and almost won a third. He won these awards for leadership more than anything else.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Binkar, who the hell is saying that?

That was intended for Nashman chill out. That being said, the thought of wanting Nash over Paul isn't much more asinine than your claim that Nash is a better defender than Paul.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never can figure out why certain posters have to get their jollies by picking on Steve Nash. Comparing Nash and Paul at different stages of their careers is ridiculous. Nash was never athletic enough to play much more than position defense whereas Paul does not have this excuse. Basketball is more than stats. Nash has two NBA MVP awards and almost won a third. He won these awards for leadership more than anything else.

His leadership didn't get us a ring. Look, I don't think it's for jollies at all. I am a huge Steve Nash fan and loved watching him play. However, over the course of that time I also realized Nash is too much of a liability to win a title with his defense.

It takes nothing away from Steve or his accomplishments. I don't appreciate him any less for what he did here. I simply want to win a title in Phoenix and don't think we can get it done scoring 120 points a night with a PG that doesn't play any defense.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Paul hasn't been guarding Billups much. Barkley ripped the hornets for this last night because they've been using the off-guard to cover billups and it's been a huge problem for them. Chris paul is a fine defender for his size, so i don't understand this thread at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His leadership didn't get us a ring. Look, I don't think it's for jollies at all. I am a huge Steve Nash fan and loved watching him play. However, over the course of that time I also realized Nash is too much of a liability to win a title with his defense.

It takes nothing away from Steve or his accomplishments. I don't appreciate him any less for what he did here. I simply want to win a title in Phoenix and don't think we can get it done scoring 120 points a night with a PG that doesn't play any defense.

Steve Nash was brought to the Suns to execute a certain uptempo style of play. He did that and the end result was five straight winning seasons. I agree Nash does not have the physical tools to defend athletic PGs... he never did. As he grows older the problem becomes more pronounced but it is not a new problem.

The Suns should have been surrounding Nash with players that can help cover for his deficiencies. Instead, the Suns got rid of whatever defensive players they had and added more scorers. IMO, the Suns already know how to score so they should be looking for defensive help. Actually as badly as the Suns need another big man, I would like the Suns to draft another PG and let the chips fall where they may. However, I have no problem with the Suns keeping Nash until the Suns develop another starting PG.

I guess we really are not that far apart, except I'm willing to accept a transition period in developing another PG. I'm obviously not sold on Dragic yet. When I look at the mock draft boards and see PGs that might be available to the Suns (e.g. Lawson, Flynn) I drool. And there are many other quality PG candidates in this draft.

cly2tw

Reaction score

I'm not picking on Nash by telling some truth. I'm picking on some fans that would look away from truth to worship Nash, as in Nash leading in charges taken means he is good at defense if not better than said Paul and then arguing Nash way better on offense than Paul etc. :mulli: