I am Shopping for a big screen TV

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum for this...I did a search of the site and couldnt find any threads related to big screen TV's. I got Direct TV and NFL Ticket so I have now gotten serious about purchasing a big screen TV. I think this is more difficult than buying a car lmao. Right now there are lots of new technologies coming out (Plasma, LCD, etc.) but, due to cost considerations (and my mistrust of new technologies) I have decided to buy a rear projection TV. I have done a lot of research and have narrowed down the search to Hitachi, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi for brands, and a screen size of 48 to 65 inches. Right now I favor the Toshiba because it has better resolution. I dont think I will be getting the TV with a built in HD tuner, but the monitor must be HD-Ready and 16/9 ratio. I prefer that the set has HDMI, but I understand DVI is still a viable option. With the new technologies coming out I am now leaning toward getting a model with less bells and whistles (thinking that I would get 3 to 5 years out of it and upgrade later).

How about some input from some big screen owners. Can you recommend a brand/model? What features should I make sure are on the TV I buy? How about room size vs. screen size? Any comments on viewing angles or light conditions in the room?

I wanted to buy a digital projecter and convert an empty bedroom to a home theater but the wife nixed that idea. :shrug:

Freddie

Registered
Reaction score
I'll chime in with my opinion.

In January I bought a new Toshiba 51" TV for my game room. The TV produces a good quality picture and has a decent number of video inputs. I had a PS2 and a Sony DVD player hooked up to it and the picture was excellent. I was happy with my TV. I had originally thought about a Philips 55", but Best Buy was out of stock so they gave me the Toshiba for the same price of $1499.

Fast forward to the beginning of February. I'm sitting there watching TV and it flickers off. No power surge or anything obvious, the TV just shuts off. I'm not too happy, but 15 minutes later I try to turn on the TV and it works. WEIRD!

Anyway, it happened one more time on Valentine's day. This time the TV would not turn back on. It was broke! Anyway, I had a tech come out and he said he had to order new parts. I told him I just wanted a TV and he told me how I would be able to achieve this(BB wanted to fix it).

I go back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. He was new, thus he was willing to do anything for the customer. I ended up swapping that TV for a new 51" Sony. I have been more than happy with the Sony and it has plenty of A/V and component video inputs.

I recommend a Sony TV. I've never known anyone to have a problem with it, either. Mitsubishi makes a good TV as well. I'd stay away from Toshiba! :thumbup:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...50479&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Personally I bought a 56" RCA... HDTV Ready, 2 Sets of Progressive scan inputs, one front and 4 RCA/S-Video combo rear inputs... You can hook up everything imaginable... the picture is awesome both DIgital Cable HDTV and DVD... Regular vid through the S-video is crytal clear also...

This set put me out 799 dollars after instant rebates and signing up with the rewards program at Best Buy... I figured at this price I could buy it, and even if I did not like it I could buy another and still be less "out of pocket" than some of the competition... A year and a half so far and not even the smallest problem to speak of.... AWESOME....

All of these things change so fast it was not worth over spending on technology that lasts only a few years...

I spent nearly 500 on a DVD player a few years back and it did not even have progressive scan at all... I now have a JVC that cost me 69.00 and it has everything, not to mention it plays nearly every format imaginable or recordable on a disc...

Last edited:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Hitachi makes the projection CRTS for Mistubishi and Toshiba.

Go for the Hitachi.

I work at Circuit City in the TV's and love the hitachis.

PM Me with whatever questions you have and I will give you an honest answer. Since I hate Circuit City, I don't want you to buy from us anyway :)

OP
OP
Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Yesterday afternoon I pulled the trigger on a 55" Mitsubishi which is to be delivered on Wednesday! Now I am looking at a sound system. I am ready for some football, even games like the Cards game yesterday!!!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
Hitachi makes the projection CRTS for Mistubishi and Toshiba.

Go for the Hitachi.

I work at Circuit City in the TV's and love the hitachis.

PM Me with whatever questions you have and I will give you an honest answer. Since I hate Circuit City, I don't want you to buy from us anyway :)

I have been looking for a new TV for awhile. I have been looking at Plasma but what can you tell me about DLP? I don't know much about it. I am looking for a widescreen TV that is at least 42".

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I have been looking for a new TV for awhile. I have been looking at Plasma but what can you tell me about DLP? I don't know much about it. I am looking for a widescreen TV that is at least 42".

DLP Is a technology originally developed by Texas Instruments and Samsung. Basically it involves a halogen lightbulb, a color wheel, a series of thousands of tiny mirrors, all controlled by a Texas instruments computer chip.

THe lighbulb shines light on the spinning color wheel, the colored light is reflected off the mirrors onto a special screen developed by Samsung.

Now, what you get from DLP is a slimline TV, 13-18 inches deep with screen sizes going from 46 to 61 inches. They are much less expensive than plasmas and have a very similar picture.

The only downside to a DLP TV is that the lightbulb will burn out. It costs about 300 bucks, is user replaceable and will last about 4 years. Once you replace the bulb, you have a new TV again.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Dawn said:
Now I am looking at a sound system.
What ever you do, stay away from Bose!

I have a Klipsch Reference series setup. It Rocks the House!

I have a 55" Mitsubishi Big Screen. It has the best picture. You will absolutely love it.

OP
OP
Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Well, my TV was delivered and I am completely happy with the set. I havent pulled the trigger on HD yet. Where I live there is no over the air HD, so all I could hope to get is on Direct TV. I have to decide if 100 High Def games on the NFL Ticket is worth $300 bucks for the Direct TV tuner and $10 bucks a month for HD service (there is a special now, the first 6 months are free). This is going to be a great season!! I have decided to go the HTIB (Home theater in a box) route to start my sound system out with. I decided on the Onkyo Ht-S770 system, which runs about $499.00 right now (I am waiting for a sale at circuit city hint hint HB3). I have read glowing reviews on this system's sound quality in the media and various forums, it's sound purportedly rivals systems which cost 2 or 3 times more. (HeavyB3 has also vouched for the sound quality).

BTW, here is a link to the best audio/video etc forum I have found. I urge you to check out the forums here if you have any interest in electronics, stereos, sat tv, home theater, big screens, etc. There is even a manufacturers forum where you can post a model number to get advice on repair or purchasing:

Home Theater Spot

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If your spending less than 2 grand for a big screen it will cost you more in the long run . Youll be shopping for the next best thing inside of 5 years. The one I am eyeing is around 4 grand and Ill be set for 20 years. :)

man those high end screens are so clear its like looking out of a window.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen