I am Legend - by Richard Matheson

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finished this last night...I really was confused because I didn't realize the book I had was "I Am Legend...and other short stories by Richard Matheson"

So it ended halfway through the book and I was like, WTF? Took me a bit of reading the next few pages to realize something was wrong.

Anyways, the overall REAL book was great...different, not super long, a nice plot and interesting finale.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
i finished this book 1 week ago but i haven't posted about it because i went to the province..

i kinda liked this book,
nice plot,
i didn't like the ending,
i hope in the movie adaptation they change the ending..

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I guarantee they change the ending for the movie.

I'm interested to see how much of the book makes it into the film. My favorite part was how the guy investigated the plague and offered a scientific explanation of vampirism.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Hell House is a very cool book as well! You'll have to post your thoughts when you're done with them.

Hell House will be read after I finish I am Legend.

Just read the 1st 6 chapters last night before bed. I am very intrigued by this storyline.

The only problem is the guy is blonde and blue eyed and because of the upcoming Will Smith movie I get to picturing him as the Fresh Prince and the book keeps telling me it's the guy from Journeyman.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell House will be read after I finish I am Legend.

Just read the 1st 6 chapters last night before bed. I am very intrigued by this storyline.

The only problem is the guy is blonde and blue eyed and because of the upcoming Will Smith movie I get to picturing him as the Fresh Prince and the book keeps telling me it's the guy from Journeyman.

:biglaugh:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
The chapter where he stays out too late and returns to his house and they are waiting for him is one of the most intense chapters I've ever read in fiction.

You could actually sense his frustration and despair when he was trying to get the dog to be his companion.

Great stuff so far.

I am to the point where he met the woman and she's locked in his room.

Should finish it today.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chapter where he stays out too late and returns to his house and they are waiting for him is one of the most intense chapters I've ever read in fiction.

You could actually sense his frustration and despair when he was trying to get the dog to be his companion.

Great stuff so far.

I am to the point where he met the woman and she's locked in his room.

Should finish it today.

I rarely cry in books, but that part with the dog and what happens to it made me tear up while I was reading...that was such a great part of the book to me.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Just finished the book. I really enjoyed it.

I was reading about the movie at imdb.com and I have to say I am disappointed. The movie will probably be good considering it's a Will Smith vehicle, but it seems as if there are no remnants of what made this book good left in the movie.

1. Neville is white, blond, English-German
2. Wife and kid dies
3. LA
4. Beat up station wagon

Judging from what I've read, Neville is now black, wife and kid are shipped overseas, it's in NY, and he's driving the latest sports vehicle out there.

Also the character list doesn't list any of the characters from the book other than Neville.

Not to mention that the trivia says it was originally supposed to star the Governator.

Then Will Smith later decided to film Bad Boys II instead of this. Yeesh.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Hell House is a very cool book as well! You'll have to post your thoughts when you're done with them.

I am about half finished with Hell House.

The book is not as terrifying as I thought it would be thus far.

However, the impression I get is sex is bad...mmkay.

I thought Florence was gonna get it on with a ghost. LOL.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
The book isn't very terrifying or anything, but it definitely creates a great atmosphere of unease and disgust. Some of the imagery would be almost unfilmable for a movie, I think.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
The book isn't very terrifying or anything, but it definitely creates a great atmosphere of unease and disgust. Some of the imagery would be almost unfilmable for a movie, I think.

Agreed.

The chapter when the ectoplasm is secreted from the woman's hand and forms into a human was written very well.

The tension from the dr's wife and the other medium is well explained and in many parts you can almost sense the unease.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm listening to this story on my Ipod. I haven't listened to an audio book in years, its unabridged so it supposed to be the whole complete story, so far its a very good story.

I hear the movie Last Man on Earth starring VIncent Price is as close to this story as any of the movies out there(the others being Omega Man and I Am Legend)--its available online for free, I'll probably watch it later this week.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard