I’m Not the Only One Who Thinks They’re Tanking

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After not drafting a pass rusher in round one, you can't convince me that center was a bigger need. Instead they went with drafting a guy with traits (Gaines) later instead.
I don't really care where a competent C wasn't added as much as I am annoyed that a competent C wasn't added.

Too often we argue that a random C in round 2 was more important than a pass rusher or vice versa. The overall point should be that given multiple avenues to add a competent C, we chose not to use any which is the failure.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't really care where a competent C wasn't added as much as I am annoyed that a competent C wasn't added.

Too often we argue that a random C in round 2 was more important than a pass rusher or vice versa. The overall point should be that given multiple avenues to add a competent C, we chose not to use any which is the failure.
My only logical explanation is that they want to evaluate Froholdt and they felt Gaines had the upside of the center prospects.

LOL I've got nothing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So the goal before FA and the draft was...target a highly developmental C prospect in the latter-mid rounds of the draft? Another lousy part of the plan. I hope the kid pans out and becomes the starter we need, but that's all it is right now--hopium.

Reaction score

This would mean you are positive that Froholdt & Gaines won't be competent centers. I would counter that drafting Gaines was one of the avenues they used to get a competent center. But we truly don't know one way or the other whether either guy will be a competent center or Lecitus Smith for that matter.
We won't know until the season begins. Until we do know we can't say it was a failure. A lot of people are talking in absolutes about this team but truth is nobody knows until they take the field. You can speculate all you want which is all we can do at this point.
Oh well. I'll take a cue from @mjb21aztd & do a bong hit & not worry about things we can't control & drink my Budlight proudly. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Honestly, maybe the Cardinals ARE looking at Gannon to be their Doug Collins to use an NBA reference.

When the Cardinals unload Murray, draft Caleb/Drake and another blue chipper next year and can rebuild the team the right way, maybe they are a more attractive situation.
Of course Collins only had to develop 12 players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This would mean you are positive that Froholdt & Gaines won't be competent centers. I would counter that drafting Gaines was one of the avenues they used to get a competent center. But we truly don't know one way or the other whether either guy will be a competent center or Lecitus Smith for that matter.
We won't know until the season begins. Until we do know we can't say it was a failure. A lot of people are talking in absolutes about this team but truth is nobody knows until they take the field. You can speculate all you want which is all we can do at this point.
Oh well. I'll take a cue from @mjb21aztd & do a bong hit & not worry about things we can't control & drink my Budlight proudly. ;)

It is true that we don't KNOW. That said, Kevin Kasper every year.

Last edited:

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
If we’re tanking to draft Caleb Williams…Bad move!
Another immature QB to lead grown men.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This week's Cardinals Underground had a long digression on the topic of tanking. They said that people are putting in too much work and have too much to lose to not compete. This is true. I firmly believe that the players (especially) and the coaching staff are going to put everything they have into preparing to win week to week.

What I don't agree with is their saying that everyone in the building is focused on winning. Monti clearly doesn't have winning has his top priority. He's purposefully built this roster to be one of the least talented in the NFL in 2023. The "smart tank" is just to have so many replacement-level players starting that you're going to be overwhelmed in two-thirds of your games and then only have a 50/50 shot in the other five games against bottom feeders in other divisions.

That's how you get to three wins.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This week's Cardinals Underground had a long digression on the topic of tanking. They said that people are putting in too much work and have too much to lose to not compete. This is true. I firmly believe that the players (especially) and the coaching staff are going to put everything they have into preparing to win week to week.

What I don't agree with is their saying that everyone in the building is focused on winning. Monti clearly doesn't have winning has his top priority. He's purposefully built this roster to be one of the least talented in the NFL in 2023. The "smart tank" is just to have so many replacement-level players starting that you're going to be overwhelmed in two-thirds of your games and then only have a 50/50 shot in the other five games against bottom feeders in other divisions.

That's how you get to three wins.
I agree. He does have a plan.