hypothetical with Hawks

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Atlanta calls in the off-season, says they want to take their team in a different direction, and offers Trae Young and Clint Capela for Ayton and Paul, the latter of whom they will buy out. What do you say?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes although I’d probably regret my decision after watching Trae lead the team in shots with Book and KD as teammates.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atlanta calls in the off-season, says they want to take their team in a different direction, and offers Trae Young and Clint Capela for Ayton and Paul, the latter of whom they will buy out. What do you say?
I'd do it. Trae isn't my favorite player but it's probably the best we could hope for in moving DA and CP3. And it wouldn't be screwing CP either as he'd probably sign on in LA once he's bought out.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's crazy I'd do it in a heartbeat...but no way the Hawks doing that. Shoot I'm at the point I'm trading charminayton for Capela straight up

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'd probably do it, even as much as Young would be a pain. But I can't see Atlanta doing it, at least this specific deal. Maybe something like a three team deal would be more viable where other pieces are involved, and Young goes to a third team and Suns get someone less high profile.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if we could move young for more assets and solid role players.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Minnesota traded 5 players and 4 first round picks for Rudy Gobert. Granted, Gobert plays stellar (rim protection) defense but aside from that Gobert and Ayton kinda live in the same neighborhood as far pts and rebounds go. (Gobert 12ppg with 11 boards career wise)

But I don't think we'd get anywhere near that because the word is out on Ayton. Not sure what to expect for Ayton anymore

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Atlanta calls in the off-season, says they want to take their team in a different direction, and offers Trae Young and Clint Capela for Ayton and Paul, 31

the latter of whom they will buy out. What do you say?
I going have to pass only because I wouldn't want Trae. Trae's shot selection questioned, his lack of defense, and lack of size 6'0" & if he can fit in with KD &
Booker.

Now Clint Capella as rim protector & rebounder might work well with KD Booker. Capella & some picks or players. Just my thought.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trae Young is not good at basketball and is reported to be a huge head case. No thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minnesota traded 5 players and 4 first round picks for Rudy Gobert. Granted, Gobert plays stellar (rim protection) defense but aside from that Gobert and Ayton kinda live in the same neighborhood as far pts and rebounds go. (Gobert 12ppg with 11 boards career wise)

But I don't think we'd get anywhere near that because the word is out on Ayton. Not sure what to expect for Ayton anymore

Another team would have to believe they could develop Ayton into the player many envisioned when he was drafted in order to trade for him. Even then, his value seems low with such a large contract.

The Suns might be best trading him for veteran players who can fill a role.

Still, a lot of teams may want to bet they can develop a former #1 draft pick. The Suns haven't been particularly good at this.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
I believe Trae has more value on the market. Heard that Utah were interested in Colins before deadline. So, a 3 way with Ayton+Shamet to Atlanta, Colins to Utah, Capela, Sexton+some fillers to Phx might work, with picks as side compensations as needed.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Portland, Charlotte and Dallas are the teams that will be most interested in Ayton. They all have a need at the position and they're all somewhat desperate for a real shake up.

I don't think Dallas can offer anything appealing but Portland and Charlotte both could put forth some interesting offers.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trae is a guy that has to have the ball in his hands, that doesn't work with KD and Booker already on this team.

The only way that would make sense is a 3 way deal where we get somebody besides Trae.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Trae is a guy that has to have the ball in his hands, that doesn't work with KD and Booker already on this team.

Well right, both Ayton and Young are fundamentally flawed players. It's a question of which flaws you think you can work around.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need a pg who is good at defense and passing. dont think Trae is that man. But I'd trade Ayton straight up for any quality big
In today's NBA we need a PG that can score, defend and pass. But if we have to do without one of those skills, it can't be scoring IMO. Mostly I'd like to get an above average all-around PG that can force the pace. And I think we'd all like to trade DA straight up for a quality big but I'm not sure there is one available in trade especially for Ayton.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well right, both Ayton and Young are fundamentally flawed players. It's a question of which flaws you think you can work around.
Well, if you are forcing me to choose between those 2, I guess Ayton makes more sense, because he is fine taking a subordinate role.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are forcing me to choose between those 2, I guess Ayton makes more sense, because he is fine taking a subordinate role.
Trae's usage rate isn't much different than Donovan Mitchell's or Jaylen Brown's, I can live with that. His me-first personality and shot selection bother me more but unlike DA, he plays hard.

I'd take Trae and see if we can't fix him since fixing Ayton looks impossible. And the last I heard Young and Booker get along well so maybe we'd see a different player in Phoenix. It's a big maybe but we're already there with Ayton.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trae's usage rate isn't much different than Donovan Mitchell's or Jaylen Brown's, I can live with that. His me-first personality and shot selection bother me more but unlike DA, he plays hard.

I'd take Trae and see if we can't fix him since fixing Ayton looks impossible. And the last I heard Young and Booker get along well so maybe we'd see a different player in Phoenix. It's a big maybe but we're already there with Ayton.
Here is the thing with Trae, nobody seems to like him. That is not a problem that you can just gloss over, it makes team chemistry and winning nearly impossible.

I don't think this team needs a big time scorer at all with Durant and Book, what it needs is hard working role players who will play tough D and get on the boards. Capella does sort of fill that role, but we need more than one guy.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Prime Dragic would have been a good pg for phx. good shooter, not gonna hog the ball, adequate defense, good passing, adequate height.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing with Trae, nobody seems to like him. That is not a problem that you can just gloss over, it makes team chemistry and winning nearly impossible.

I don't think this team needs a big time scorer at all with Durant and Book, what it needs is hard working role players who will play tough D and get on the boards. Capella does sort of fill that role, but we need more than one guy.
Yeah I've talked about Trae's problems before when he and Morant were compared. The big difference is that every Memphis player rushed to support Ja when the talk first centered around them having a better record without him. And not a single player came to Trae's defense when the media and fans started trashing him. Trae simply isn't liked by most of his teammates and maybe none of his coaches.

But as concerning as that is, there is a little hope it would be different here. Trae and Devin have been friends since before Young entered college and Trae has supported Booker publicly. Plus, KD has known him since he was 9 years old and they've reportedly maintained a close friendship.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If Ayton keeps this up, we'll need to do something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson