How would you grade DJ Humphries performace this season?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
C-

Grading factors:
First round pick
First playing time
Let an average to slightly above average vet go to replace him

At times looks like a good run blocker
For an alleged "dancing bear" he gets beat to the outside far too frequently - particularly when he's given help to the inside
Not a disaster, but certainly doesn't show the "stud" play contemplated when the team decided to take him in the first round arguing that if he had come out a year later he would have been a high first round pick. Would be satisfactory if he came out of the third round pkaying at this level but still seems a reach as a first, or even if he was a second round selection.

Another indicator of Keim trying to be smarter than everyone else. When grabbing unknowns in the mid to latter rounds works you're lauded for it. When the same attempts fail in the first and second rounds (and let's be honest, other than Cooper almost all other first and second rounders were either droppers - Nkemdichi - or were taken earlier than projected (minter, humpheries, niklas, buc) its potentially disastrous and essentially unwinds the mid-to-latter round successes. The mathieus, David johnsons, smokeys, nelsons, Ellingtons, and Gunters should be what makes a draft great. But when the top two picks are average to meh, it just turns into an average draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
D+

In a passing league, pass pro is the #1 measurement at the position. The only reason he gets this high of a grade is because he's okay as a run blocker--he doesn't hurt us there. His F and fifteen minuses get raised to a D+ because of that.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mathieus, David johnsons, smokeys, nelsons, Ellingtons, and Gunters should be what makes a draft great. But when the top two picks are average to meh, it just turns into an average draft.
Agree

Hump's grade = C average grade because Mathis is out and I believe he was learning to play next to him. Now with Watford next to him they both are out of sync and get worked.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
B-
he could be better but changing up his line mates this early in his development is hurting his performance... based upon his expectations he should be elevating the play of whoever is next to him but I think it is too early to expe4ct that from him. Would love to see a complete season with the same guard next to him

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
C

I doubt he'll ever live up to his draft slot, but he hasn't been a liability like Levi Brown.

Stout

Reaction score
B- but I think he's improving every game and last game was probably his best. I still think the plan is for him to be LT for the long term.

Dear God, I hope not!

People are being extremely lenient with him. How many times do we excuse bad line play because he needed X player next to him? This is a new excuse to me!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
B- but I think he's improving every game and last game was probably his best. I still think the plan is for him to be LT for the long term.
This does not align with reality. He was awful against Carolina, and was having problems with Brooks most of the game last week.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I agree 100%, I remember draft day when McShay said he was the best LT in the draft. He is so light on his feet that I can see him as out LT in the next two years.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Dear God, I hope not!

People are being extremely lenient with him. How many times do we excuse bad line play because he needed X player next to him? This is a new excuse to me!

No excuse here he is just very young and everyone knew he was raw when he came out. I think we'll be happy with that pick for years to come.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This does not align with reality. He was awful against Carolina, and was having problems with Brooks most of the game last week.
Well, maybe according to you. I saw him have a nice game against Brooks. Not sure how his dvoa graded out though.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
C+

He is a 2nd year player, don't we pay him many bucks to be out there to ancor the right side ... be doesn't but he is young and can develope. For now a C+ has to get better, way better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, maybe according to you. I saw him have a nice game against Brooks. Not sure how his dvoa graded out though.
I dunno. Maybe look at how David Johnson and the Cards entire offense performed compared with the average of all the other San Francisco opponents this season.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watford makes Humphries look worse than he is - Watford has to be the worst guard at handling a stunt that I have seen in a while. Humphries isn't too bad, I agree with the c+ rating this year, and he would probably be doing better with Mathis still next to him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If a C=league average play, I don't understand how anyone can say he is better than a C

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It's really hard to evaluate someone who played the position in college, was taken in round 1, and then went into dedicated training for an entire year. My gut says he should be better at this stage. He's certainly athletic enough. I don't know if he's mean enough or loves the game enough. The latter was one of the knocks on him coming out of college.

I'd give him that C+ and give him one more year. However, he'd be on a short leash with a real backup.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
C-

Disagree with those who say it doesn't matter who's next to you. Of course it does. Communication is huge, especially along the offensive line. That's one of the main reasons Sendlein worked for us. He was gritty, he called out the signals so that everyone was on the same page. He lacked measurables, but he knew football.

Stout

Reaction score
C-

Disagree with those who say it doesn't matter who's next to you. Of course it does. Communication is huge, especially along the offensive line. That's one of the main reasons Sendlein worked for us. He was gritty, he called out the signals so that everyone was on the same page. He lacked measurables, but he knew football.

It's not an excuse for poor play, which is quite different than merely saying it doesn't matter who's next to you.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
According to NFL.com...Humphries has given up 9 sacks and 37 QB disruptions. Those are below average numbers.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Do u have tyrone smith numbers in his first season?
Smith gave up 9.5 sacks his first season, but improved significantly thereafter. And he plays LT. Don't have his disruption numbers...however.