"How they holding up?" Your 2023 Arizona Diamondbacks starting rotation thread.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This team had obvious needs all offseason in terms of a reliable starter and bullpen help - unfortunately we also have an owner who views winning as secondary, and so we have a half baked roster.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team had obvious needs all offseason in terms of a reliable starter and bullpen help - unfortunately we also have an owner who views winning as secondary, and so we have a half baked roster.
I don't think that's true. This core was always a year away and 2024 has been the plan. This season, their payroll is $114 million, which is twice as much as Tampa, Baltimore and Oakland. We are going the route of Baltimore and Tampa with rebuilding.

Next season, there is only $63 million committed in payroll and they can spend on the remaining holes. A true closer and a starter or two, plus smaller holes here and there. Arbitration will put the salary about $85 million. We should have about $30-$40 million for three players.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I don't think that's true. This core was always a year away and 2024 has been the plan. This season, their payroll is $114 million, which is twice as much as Tampa, Baltimore and Oakland. We are going the route of Baltimore and Tampa with rebuilding.

Next season, there is only $63 million committed in payroll and they can spend on the remaining holes. A true closer and a starter or two, plus smaller holes here and there. Arbitration will put the salary about $85 million. We should have about $30-$40 million for three players.
Just asking. Does that include MadBum's salary next year?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't think that's true. This core was always a year away and 2024 has been the plan.
I see a team that is one decent starter and a couple decent bullpen pieces away from making some noise THIS YEAR. Why are we wasting a year?
This season, their payroll is $114 million, which is twice as much as Tampa, Baltimore and Oakland. We are going the route of Baltimore and Tampa with rebuilding.
I'd rather take the route of the Dodgers/Padres. Trying to be the Rays is obviously really hard.
Ok, so yes, we're wasting a season bc Kendrick is comparatively poor.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a team that is one decent starter and a couple decent bullpen pieces away from making some noise THIS YEAR. Why are we wasting a year?

I'd rather take the route of the Dodgers/Padres. Trying to be the Rays is obviously really hard.

Ok, so yes, we're wasting a season bc Kendrick is comparatively poor.
I get your point, but signing those type of players this year blocks the opportunity to see what these young and have. I prefer long term stability over a one or two year run. We suffered for years rebuilding the farm and one more year to let this farm system develop is worth it to me. We'll still be a fringe WC team as is.

As for you Kendrick comment. I think he's a terrible owner, but he is one of the poorer owners and still outspends richer teams. Thr Red Sox and Cubs are the outliers here since the have great revenue streams for the teams themselves.

20th in payroll, 28th in owners worth.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I get your point, but signing those type of players this year blocks the opportunity to see what these young and have.
3 rookies in the starting rotation is craziness. It puts a ton of pressure on the young pitchers as well as the bullpen. Injuries happened, but this team was always going to need another reliable veteran starter.
I prefer long term stability over a one or two year run.
I don't understand how adding an additional starter and a couple of bullpen pieces would have made an impact on long term stability.
We suffered for years rebuilding the farm and one more year to let this farm system develop is worth it to me. We'll still be a fringe WC team as is.
Even at best, we'll likely be fringe wildcard regardless.
As for you Kendrick comment. I think he's a terrible owner, but he is one of the poorer owners and still outspends richer teams. Thr Red Sox and Cubs are the outliers here since the have great revenue streams for the teams themselves.

20th in payroll, 28th in owners worth.

You must be registered for see images attach
Having an owner like Kendrick virtually ensures we'll be bottom feeders as long as he's owner. Ken has made it very clear that being a good "steward" (whatever that means) is more important than winning, and that's obviously reflected in the team performance under his ownership.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
3 rookies in the starting rotation is craziness. It puts a ton of pressure on the young pitchers as well as the bullpen. Injuries happened, but this team was always going to need another reliable veteran starter.

I don't understand how adding an additional starter and a couple of bullpen pieces would have made an impact on long term stability.

Even at best, we'll likely be fringe wildcard regardless.

Having an owner like Kendrick virtually ensures we'll be bottom feeders as long as he's owner. Ken has made it very clear that being a good "steward" (whatever that means) is more important than winning, and that's obviously reflected in the team performance under his ownership.
Agree with all of this. Wade Miley is on a 1 year $4.5M contract with MIL and is 3-1 with a 2.31 ERA and has been very good the last couple of years, he would look great back in ARZ uni.

Also, if you believe Gambo (I don't) but supposedly ARZ made offers to Boegarts and Swanson this offseason which were obviously outbid so if they were willing to spend the money why didn't they on the rotation, especially the bullpen. Imagine Kenley Jansen and Aroldis Chapman in our bullpen.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Also, if you believe Gambo (I don't) but supposedly ARZ made offers to Boegarts and Swanson this offseason which were obviously outbid so if they were willing to spend the money why didn't they on the rotation, especially the bullpen. Imagine Kenley Jansen and Aroldis Chapman in our bullpen.
Going after big money positional players when your obvious needs are SP/RP is just so hard to understand.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Makes sense considering the Snakes have the 4th worst ERA among starters and that’s with two guys under 3.00.