How Long Should #19's Leash Be?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Let me first say that I hope that Skelton leads us to 12 wins this year, and that he really lights it up.

But, if things are going poorly, let's agree on a point at which we would at least try to salvage the season by giving Kolb a chance. I'm all for our 5th round pick out of Fordham, but I'm not riding that bandwagon into the abyss.

Let's keep in mind that John has already had a dozen or so starts in his career, and this is his third year in the league. I think if he wants to become "the guy", he needs to perform well immediately. I'm tired of waiting for the Plummers, and McCowns, and Lienarts of the world to turn the corner. I've seen that movie before, and I know how it ends. If Skelton is really the answer, he needs to show us now.

I say he gets four starts no matter what (unless he REALLY struggles, and it gets embarrassing). After four games, I think you look at his performance in conjunction with our record, and then make a decision about staying with him, or about possibly starting Kolb.

If we're 1-3, and #19 has been posting QB ratings in the 65 - 70 range, I say you pull the trigger.

Conversely, a 2-2 record along with ratings of 80 or better means that he gets another four or six games. Even with sub-par performances however, if we're 3-1, I don't think you consider a change. I wouldn't want to risk damaging the chemistry of the team if we're winning.

Does this sound reasonable?

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. My worry is that if he gets yanked, Kolb will get hurt again behind this line. Then it's Lindley time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No leash. The smart bet is to ride Skelton for the entire season. This is the year to see if we have a QB that can become 'the guy'. Give him plenty of time to prove it or to show that he can't become 'the guy'. That way, you either have a QB you want starting for the coming seasons or, if the team absolutely tanks, you're in position to draft one. What we shouldn't do, as awful as it sounds, is to try to salvage a 6 or 8 win season. All that does is get us out of contention for a top QB.

Give Skelton the year. He'll either grab the job and keep it for years to come, or we'll be in a position to go out and get the guy who (we hope) can.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
hmmm

Have you seen our schedule? Man thats the only wagon in town and we all get on or get dragged by it- I'm all for getting on- I seen Josh Mcnown cut too today- I was on his wagon- Shaun King and Tom Tupa - I remember when there was no wagon at tall -Jack!

Coaches , players, GM's have come and gone and down the road our crap wagon flewed- like a manuer spreader going across a field- kicking the crap out of itself- fairy tale cards - ask Miss tuff it: "what's in the bowl witch?"

Cardinal fans anthem - JUST WAIT until next year you big boogers! Were going to huff and we'll puff and we'll blow your house in - Grandma what big teeth you have-
Miss Mary contrary;how does your garden grow?
With silver bells and Cardinal shells and one stupid egg plant!

We endeavor to percervier, Progress not perfection- first order of business The Seattle Seahawks are coming to town to start both seasons- a divisional game twice as important as a nondivisional game-

Let us not beat ourselves!

Let me first say that I hope that Skelton leads us to 12 wins this year, and that he really lights it up.

But, if things are going poorly, let's agree on a point at which we would at least try to salvage the season by giving Kolb a chance. I'm all for our 5th round pick out of Fordham, but I'm not riding that bandwagon into the abyss.

Let's keep in mind that John has already had a dozen or so starts in his career, and this is his third year in the league. I think if he wants to become "the guy", he needs to perform well immediately. I'm tired of waiting for the Plummers, and McCowns, and Lienarts of the world to turn the corner. I've seen that movie before, and I know how it ends. If Skelton is really the answer, he needs to show us now.

I say he gets four starts no matter what (unless he REALLY struggles, and it gets embarrassing). After four games, I think you look at his performance in conjunction with our record, and then make a decision about staying with him, or about possibly starting Kolb.

If we're 1-3, and #19 has been posting QB ratings in the 65 - 70 range, I say you pull the trigger.

Conversely, a 2-2 record along with ratings of 80 or better means that he gets another four or six games. Even with sub-par performances however, if we're 3-1, I don't think you consider a change. I wouldn't want to risk damaging the chemistry of the team if we're winning.

Does this sound reasonable?

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No leash. The smart bet is to ride Skelton for the entire season. This is the year to see if we have a QB that can become 'the guy'. Give him plenty of time to prove it or to show that he can't become 'the guy'. That way, you either have a QB you want starting for the coming seasons or, if the team absolutely tanks, you're in position to draft one. What we shouldn't do, as awful as it sounds, is to try to salvage a 6 or 8 win season. All that does is get us out of contention for a top QB.

Give Skelton the year. He'll either grab the job and keep it for years to come, or we'll be in a position to go out and get the guy who (we hope) can.

Stout, are you trying upset me? :D

Are you saying that if we're 3-5, and the defense is playing well, but Skelton is stinking it up, that we don't go to Kolb?

Is that fair to guys on the team who are doing their jobs?

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude, why would we go to Kolb if we know he isn't the future? Even at 3-5 you let a dude ride it out. It's obvious they're done with Kolb or they would have started him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Are you saying that if we're 3-5, and the defense is playing well, but Skelton is stinking it up, that we don't go to Kolb?

This team already knows that Kolb is done. There's almost no chance they would rally around him. It is far better, IMO, to continue and see if Skelton gets better than to hope for a 1 in 1,000 chance that Kolb rallies us to the playoffs.

Dude, why would we got to Kolb if we know he isn't the future? Even at 3-5 you let a dude ride it out. It's obvious they're done with Kolb or they would have started him.

Exactamundo.

THESMEL

Reaction score
The challenge flag is in Whiz's sock this year! The most important part is to lift up his pants leg and find it amongst the other things he keeps in his sock? or if it falls out unintentionally as he jumps up and down with joy on the sideline! Has anyone seen him practice the nFL Head Coach flag toss from this position- I mean is it a one motion smooth delivero- or more elk looking for a date type clash of hands and legs?

http://www.nfl.com/coachesqanda#video=09000d5d829eff2e

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say Ryan Lindley is starting before September is over. Hell, if Max Hall was, why not Lindley?

That'll be cool though, after Lindley is both NFL and Super Bowl MVP for this season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
This season is about one of two things:

Winning, or

Finding out what the team has at qb

If Skelton plays well, the team likely wins more than it loses

If he doesn't, that means He isn't "the guy" and the team needs to play Lindley at least 6 games or so to get a sense of if he could be the guy.

The team needs to go into the offseason knowing if it needs to find a QB in the offseason.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The challenge flag is in Whiz's sock this year! The most important part is to lift up his pants leg and find it amongst the other things he keeps in his sock? or if it falls out unintentionally as he jumps up and down with joy on the sideline! Has anyone seen him practice the nFL Head Coach flag toss from this position- I mean is it a one motion smooth delivero- or more elk looking for a date type clash of hands and legs?

http://www.nfl.com/coachesqanda#video=09000d5d829eff2e

:biglaugh:

Wtf are you babbling about? You just kill me Smel

THESMEL

Reaction score
the link

I was listen to the NFL Coaches Q & A on the link I provided- yes about this threads topic- He has a RG3 vs Luck, Tebow opinion- unorthodox QB opinion -Whiz has a couple answers -
Calculated response- blink- blink - I do like him but don't trust him to execute his own words- He don't just lie to the media- He lies to himself!

you know trying to understand something about our coach of 6 years -
And there it was -Whiz's answer about the challenge flag this year- no Really watch it!

I think John deserves as much leash as he needs - He needs very little cause he can throw the ball nearly 100 yards - through walls- He could toss TD's from the lavatory- if they changed the darn out of bounds.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I love Smel. Wasn't Whis that got his flag stuck though. Was SB winning coach actually, can't remember who. He got the challenge flag stuck in his sock. That's Smel's reference.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

One problem with putting any kind of "leash" on Double Deuce is that the more he plays the better he gets and the more he throws the more accurate he is.

Last season on attempts 21-30 he had a 60.7% completion rate and a QB rating of 93.2 and 5TD to 3 INT. Which makes it really hard to tell if he's gotten any better when he only had about 6 attempts per game this pre season.

One thing we do have that's favorable with John is that 3 of our first 4 games are at home and Skelton was 89-149-1088-6TD-4INT 7.3 per attempt for an 84.5 QB rating at UPStadium and the Cards won all 4 games.

5 home games in the first 8 and road games at the Rams and Vikings who combined for 5 wins last season. If our Offensive line weren't such a mess we very likely could have been 7-1 or 6-2 going to Green Bay in week 9. :(

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Some fans seem content with the thought of tanking this season in the faint hope that we get the QBOF in the next draft. I can think of three groups who don't agree: ownership, the coaches and the players. Whiz's mantra is.. "who gives us the best chance of WINNING". If he believes sitting Skelton and starting Kolb at some point it will be driven by that thought, and one can bet that the team will attempt to rally around that call.The only people secure in their positions at end of season are the Bidwills.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we need to see what he has. Kolb will not be here next year unless he takes a major pay cut. Ride skelton for the season and figure out if we need backups or if we need someone to unseat skelton.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ride or Die with Skelton for at least 4 games.

But the leash is should be there, IMO. As much as I root for Double Deuce he didn't exactly tear the starting job out of everyone's hands, and run with it.

We will see.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Qualitative reasons/not quantitative.

The decision shouldn't be based on statistics, but rather on how Skelton performs in various aspects of play (i.e. a low completion percentage could be a function of awful pass pro, but if John repeatedly makes bone-head decisions, doesn't learn from his mistakes and fails to protect the ball it might be (after a lot of yelling) grounds for an eventual hook).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard