How do you deal with a Card's Loss?

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This post is going up for BritCard (and all the other Card fans who suffer to the extreme when we lose). BritCard made a recent comment that he was up until 3am and unable to sleep after our Miami loss. So, what do you do to deal with a Card Loss?

My advice is both a warning and a coping technique. I have the armor that comes from a lifetime of being a victim of abuse and shattered hopes. I usually shrug off a defeat as just one more slap for being a fan of the Cards—and get back in line for the next game. If you’re a Cards fan, it helps to be a masochist.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If I was watching Cards games at like midnight like he does it would probably keep me up till 3AM as well. Also depends on how we lose.

Losing a close game that was in your grasp is certainly harder to accept. Personally I was furious after that Miami game, but wasn’t so furious by the end of the Carolina game.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Losing a close game that was in your grasp is certainly harder to accept. Personally I was furious after that Miami game, but wasn’t so furious by the end of the Carolina game.

So, how did you cope with loss? Stay up late?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don’t watch these games late at night and I usually am up to about 2AM anyways so it really doesn’t affect me like that. I eventually just get over it and move on.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that I search for some good. Such as we have lost two winnable games all year. Carolina was a butt whip.

What did the rest of the division do? Well the Seahawks and 49ers both lost and the Seahawks and Rams play this week. A win this week gains ground on somebody.

I avoid media. I don’t need to listen to someone rehashing the Loss. I have my own assessment and that’s all I need.

I get back into media about Wednesday to start analyzing our next game.

Anybody lamenting at this point keep in mind. We are 5-3. With 4 games left against division opponents. If we can duplicate the first half accomplishments we will be 10-6. That would be awesome.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a close home loss we drive home talking about the game but avoid the postgame call-in show on the radio which always seems to be full of "the sky is falling" callers. Heck, we could win by 40 and the callers on that show will call in and start by saying "I know we won, but..." and continue to gripe about some small error we made on special teams in the first half or something. LOL

Win or lose we usually head to Whataburger after the game. When we win, I'll get a Green Chile Double. If we lose, I settle for just a Whataburger.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a family and a career the Cardinals are the last thing keeping me up all night, but I consider myself pretty zen in my life at this stage.

would Mickey Mantle cry if your dad couldn’t pay the rent- Sonny from a Bronx tale.

the lows are never as bad as they seem. I’m born and raised in the valley 1 Suns championship would mean more than 5 Cardinal rings.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After a close home loss we drive home talking about the game but avoid the postgame call-in show on the radio which always seems to be full of "the sky is falling" callers. Heck, we could win by 40 and the callers on that show will call in and start by saying "I know we won, but..." and continue to gripe about some small error we made on special teams in the first half or something. LOL

Win or lose we usually head to Whataburger after the game. When we win, I'll get a Green Chile Double. If we lose, I settle for just a Whataburger.

well now we’re talking. Whataburger makes everything better.

They just opened one right down the street here in Gilbert. My go to is the honey BBQ chicken strip sandwich

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now this is an original thread :)

sometimes if I feel like the Cards are going to lose, I cut the game off in frustration and do other things. I don’t even want to look at the other games because I don’t
want to be reminded of a lost, especially a lost of a close game. Maybe on Monday or Tuesday I will look at the score, because that’s when I cool off :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends, if it happens against an opponent that we really shouldn't have lost to I just pretend that football doesn't exist for the next several days. In a typical losing week, I skip the Sunday Night Game, the Monday Night Game and if I'm not too depressed, I return to NFL viewing just in time for Thursday's game.

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score
I drink like a fish.. but wait...I do that for a win a well...;)

Def don't watch all the talking heads on YouTube after a loss though.

I also trick myself into believing things like..if the books win and we lose that's best case for the bills over looking us next week. If bills lost and we would have won and be freaking out all week that we were going to mail one in and get embarrassed.

They have been fun to watch all year except the Carolina game... sta

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I learned my lesson along time ago. Not just with the Cardinals but all teams that I follow. It sucks when they lose but it doesn’t change anything about my day. Life goes on and so do the responsibilities that come with it. Especially when you have 8 year old twins lol

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a family and a career the Cardinals are the last thing keeping me up all night, but I consider myself pretty zen in my life at this stage.

would Mickey Mantle cry if your dad couldn’t pay the rent- Sonny from a Bronx tale.

the lows are never as bad as they seem. I’m born and raised in the valley 1 Suns championship would mean more than 5 Cardinal rings.

I'm born and raised here too and while a suns championship would be huge, they are second fiddle for me to the cardinals. Thing have changed since the early nineties.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
As a 50+ year fan of this team, you learn over time to never expect too much from the team and to condition your mind that a loss is always a possibility. Even in the Super Bowl the first thing that came to mind when Fitz scored the go ahead TD was they left too much time on the clock for Pittsburgh. I went from elated to worry. I am now at the stage in life where a loss is disappointing but it doesn't ruin my day. There was a time when bugged the ever loving poop out of me. I have mellowed out without drug use. :p

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As a normal mature human being I turn off the TV and go about real life. It's just a football game.

Do you have an oxymoron to have 'normal mature human being' and 'football game' in the same comment?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I get a little ticked now but nothing like I used to be... this strange world and all our problems puts things into perspective and hope now on Sundays I get more joy than comic entertainment lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson