How Breakfast Became a Thing - The Beguiling History of Breakfast

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find the previous thread on breakfast scam, so here are some "facts".

http://priceonomics.com/how-breakfast-became-a-thing/

You’ve probably heard that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”

What you may not know is the origin of this ode to breakfast: a 1944 marketing campaign launched by Grape Nuts manufacturer General Foods to sell more cereal.

During the campaign, which marketers named “Eat a Good Breakfast—Do a Better Job”, grocery stores handed out pamphlets that promoted the importance of breakfast while radio advertisements announced that “Nutrition experts say breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”

Ads like these were key to the rise of cereal, a product invented by men like John Harvey Kellogg, a deeply religious doctor who believed that cereal would both improve Americans’ health and keep them from masturbating and desiring sex. (Only half of his message made it into the ads.)

:eek:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What a scam...

However, as I mentioned in that previous thread - there is absolutely nothing wrong, and in fact, much right, about eating a healthy and SMALL breakfast. Such as eggs, turkey bacon and a slice of wheat toast. Or, a fat-free, low sugar greek yogurt. Or, a smoothie... My go-to is: Almond Milk, organic blueberries/strawberries, banana, 1Tbl spoon Organic Chia Seeds, 1tsp of Organic Raw Cacao Powder, 1 Tbl of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil or Organic EVOO.
32 ounces of water before breakfast. 32 ounces of water after and before lunch. 32 ounces of water after lunch and before dinner.
I switch off between a cup of dark/strong coffee and green tea throughout the week, always in the morning - never after 12pm.

:thumbup:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What a scam...

However, as I mentioned in that previous thread - there is absolutely nothing wrong, and in fact, much right, about eating a healthy and SMALL breakfast. Such as eggs, turkey bacon and a slice of wheat toast. Or, a fat-free, low sugar greek yogurt. Or, a smoothie... My go-to is: Almond Milk, organic blueberries/strawberries, banana, 1Tbl spoon Organic Chia Seeds, 1tsp of Organic Raw Cacao Powder, 1 Tbl of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil or Organic EVOO.
32 ounces of water before breakfast. 32 ounces of water after and before lunch. 32 ounces of water after lunch and before dinner.
I switch off between a cup of dark/strong coffee and green tea throughout the week, always in the morning - never after 12pm.

:thumbup:

you lost me at turkey bacon Joe...how can you be a religious man and not recognize a deadly sin when you see it...........

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
you lost me at turkey bacon Joe...how can you be a religious man and not recognize a deadly sin when you see it...........

Not religious, faithful! [emoji106] [emoji6]

Forgot to mention two scoops of Whey Protein Powder as well!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't eat in the morning but I do enjoy breakfast foods for dinner

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Southpaws war on breakfast continues. :p

It's getting so hard to be a breakfastien in this country. It's like, we've got all these dinner people taking over and forcing their beliefs on us. The president isn't helping because he is one of them! There was a time in this country when you could be a proud Breakfastien, but now all these Lunchlims and Dinnerists are coming into this country and taking over! it's tragic, but then again, it has all been foretold...

I remember my dad reading to me from the Holy book of breakfast when I was a kid, he told me of a time when evil would consume the world and the war on breakfast would begin. He said there would be throngs of sinners who would abandon breakfast and that it would even become socially unacceptable to be a breakfastian, but the faithful would be rewarded in the final days with vouchers to the endless breakfast buffet in the sky.

Choose you this day whom ye will serve people, but as for me and my house, we will serve the breakfast lord...

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to eat something in the morning - I can't eat much - some oatmeal, usually, but I need something in my stomach. And then something again around 9ish (I wake up around 6).

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
From the time you wake up, how long do you have to wait to eat before it is not considered breakfast?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the time you wake up, how long do you have to wait to eat before it is not considered breakfast?
Imo where the articles and right and wrong: eat when you are hungry, not when it's "time to eat"

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo where the articles and right and wrong: eat when you are hungry, not when it's "time to eat"

Best thing for breakfast..... a tall glass of room temp purified alkaline pH water.

From Trader Joe's;

You must be registered for see images attach

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not choke down a bottle of room temp water at almost any time. Gross.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not choke down a bottle of room temp water at almost any time. Gross.

I prefer it, can drink a whole water bottle in seconds. Cold water takes much longer to drink. I dont really carry cups around with me so I usually pour warm water, slam it and move on.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delicate flower alert

You must be registered for see images

:D

I prefer it, can drink a whole water bottle in seconds. Cold water takes much longer to drink. I dont really carry cups around with me so I usually pour warm water, slam it and move on.
gives me indigestion....so I drink it room temp

pfft, I think BRR & oaken are the delicate flowers :)

I can slam a cold water bottle, no problem. Warm is just so......WARM. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson