HOU's future 2nd

UTA trade
Greg Ostertag
Keon Clark
HOU's 2004 lotto protected 1st

UTA get
Rasheed Wallace

Why for HOU?

They get a banger to backup Ming and two 1st rounders, cash for sweeten of taking of White's contract.

Why for PHO?

Probably the only possibility to package McDyess' contract with White is the using of HOU's trade exception.

"For example, as detailed in question number 84 ), when a team is over the cap and acquires a player in trade, they cannot re-trade that player in combination with other players for two months. Technically, however, this applies only to players traded together using the same exception. For example, Orlando acquired Danny Manning from Phoenix (as part of a package for Penny Hardaway) on 8/5/99. They then traded Manning and Dale Ellis to Milwaukee on 8/19/99. This trade did not violate the two-month rule because they used the assigned player exception for Manning and a traded player exception for Ellis. Since the two players were traded using different exceptions it was not a technical case of aggregation to which the two-month restriction applied, and therefore the trade was legal."

From Larry Coon's FAQ

Suns get enough cap room for a max. FA and saves a lot of money this year.

Why for POR?

They get only expiring deals for Wallace and a future 1st. Both Clark and McDyess are quality bigmen who together could replace Wallace's impact.

Why for UTA?

They get ready for the play-off. Wallace is the best player of the deal, he costs only a mid 1st rounder and they still keep the cap flexibility with Wallace's expiring deal or they can re-sign him if he works well in UTA.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see it.

For the Suns, this trade has two parts:

---White and two firsts to get rid of one year of White's salary.

Thee is a reasonable chance the the Bobcats will take White in the expansion draft and almost certainly would if they got a first as an inducement. I'm not convinced it would take two firsts to move him.

---Dice for Ostertag

Possible, but a wash at best. Ostertag is not a total stiff, but he is not really well suited to the Suns system either. If Dice is healthy, he and White might be more effective than Ostertag for the rest of the season.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is dumb....Houston gives up their exception and a worthless 2nd round pick for 2 first round picks and 3 million bucks?

......please

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
This is dumb....Houston gives up their exception and a worthless 2nd round pick for 2 first round picks and 3 million bucks?

......please

He really thinks it would take two firsts to get someone to take one year of White's salary.

OP
OP
H

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb

......please

I think this post is dumb as usual.

HOU gave up a 1st round pick and 2 2nd round picks to gain the same exception (which would save a lot of money for them) plus they had to take Amaechi's contract as well.
Furthermore they dumped only Rice's expiring contract for the trade exception (and saving a lot of money) while in this trade they get White's contract which is a year longer than Rice's.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Trade Dyce to Utah for Harpring and Clark, maybe we need to add a future first rounder. I think after waive Ward, we'd be under cap to get rid of Marion's BYC status and can trade him + Clark to Blazers for Wallace.

If we don't elect to resign Wallace. We'd have no max player on payroll in the offseason with Eisley and White earning about 6 mil each and all others on low contracts.

Kobe or McGrady. We only need one to team with Amare as the the core to win a championship in 3 years!

OP
OP
H

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by cly2tw
Trade Dyce to Utah for Harpring and Clark, maybe we need to add a future first rounder.

I doubt that they would dump Harpring for a first rounder.

I think after waive Ward, we'd be under cap
We wouldn't.

to get rid of Marion's BYC status
If we would get under the cap this season Marion still wouldn't lose his BYC status.

and can trade him + Clark to Blazers for Wallace.
You can't move a traded player (Clark) again in 60 days if you are combining him with other player(s9 using the same exception (the assigned trade exception or 115% rule) which would be the case here.

OP
OP
H

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
I don't see it.

For the Suns, this trade has two parts:

---White and two firsts to get rid of one year of White's salary.
You seemed to miss that Suns remove White's salary and the difference between McDyess' and Ostertag's salaries from their THIS SEASON's team pay-roll which would save abou 15 MILLION for them.

Thee is a reasonable chance the the Bobcats will take White in the expansion draft
I doubt it.

and almost certainly would if they got a first as an inducement.
I do think that they will get better offers than Ward and a mid 1st rounder for immediate cap relief.

---Dice for Ostertag

Possible, but a wash at best. Ostertag is not a total stiff, but he is not really well suited to the Suns system either. If Dice is healthy, he and White might be more effective than Ostertag for the rest of the season.
Who cares if McDyess is more productive than Ostertag?

The best would be for the Suns if McDyess contribution would be zero since it means a higher pick for the Suns.
They tank for the draft so they don't need any contribution from McDyess at all.

That's why I tried to trade McDyess to a team where his possible contribution still would be valuable.
Actually it's extremely difficult technically to trade McDyess with White because of the trade rules.

cly2tw

Reaction score
When I say trade Clark, it's kinda like a 3-way with Utah anyway. Why Utah maybe interested in Dyce for Harpring, Clark, pick? Harpring and Kirilenko are kind of redundant. They need a true PF to get Kirilenko back to his natural position of SF. So, they could gamble on Dice being reasonably good and healthy again. If so, they were in better position to resign him next year. If not, they just renounce his right.

Alternatively, we could deal Marion, Dice, CJ to Blazers for Rasheed, Patterson, Woods, directly.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by cly2tw

Alternatively, we could deal Marion, Dice, CJ to Blazers for Rasheed, Patterson, Woods, directly.

Ok now, I know we are all speculating on trying to land Kobe, and how that is against JCs mentality, but really.....

Arguably 3 of the best "good guys" and "fan favorites", minus Dice, although I see him being welcomed back with open arms in like 3 home games.............

For the 3 worst attitudes on the Por Squad?!?

Wasn't Patterson actually convicted of rape?? (Maybe just sexual assault)

I think he left Seattle because he didnt want to register as a sex offender

scotsman13

Reaction score
forgive me but why would anyone and i do mean anyone want wallace. wallace is almost as bad of a punk as AI, and he is a much worst team cancer, and doesnt bring anything to a team. wallace doesnt score as well as marion, wallace doesnt rebound as well as marion, wallace doesnt get along with his teammates (as a matter of fact he thinks it is funny to hurt his teammate), wallace isnt the defender that marion is.

SO WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT WALLACE?

if all you want to do is clear salery then there are better ways to do it then to give away marion for some POS. offer a first to utah to take easley, or to the bobcats. personally i wouldnt want to get rid of white because he bring something i team hasnt had in a long time. marion has earn his money and he is worth it for not being a wallace.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think we could get a better deal.

Afterall it might be possible to trade Jahidi for an expiring contract straight up.
He is not bad afterall and a valueable body.

Jahidi, Jacobsen, Voshkul and the later New York first round pick for Keon Clark and Jarron Collins looks good to me.

On the other hand I think Jahidi White is a top candidate to be picked up by the Bobcats with a litte throwins like a 2nd rounder.

Maybe the Bobcats would even take on Eisley packaged with our pick if we don't find someone in the lottery we really like.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My blockbuster follow up is this:

Nothing.

The SUns werent thinking three steps ahead on this. They were presented with an amazing immediate financial opportunity that came with future basketball related opportunity. They couldnt say no.

We're done, IMO.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Colangelo said they were not done.

That there were some more options out there that are being explored and could get the team more than 10M$ under the cap in the offseason.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Colangelo said they were not done.

That there were some more options out there that are being explored and could get the team more than 10M$ under the cap in the offseason.

Ahhhh. Point taken. My Bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn