Hot dogs, bacon and other processed meats increase risk of cancer, scientists say

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot dogs, bacon and other processed meats increase risk of cancer, scientists say

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-meat-dangers-20151027-story.html

Not sure wheteher this post elongs in Food Forum or Body & Health or ????? so I decided to post it here.

Is this a surprise to anyone.

The World Health Organization has confirmed some dietary advice that's unlikely to go down easy with most Americans: Bacon, hot dogs and other processed meats can increase your risk of cancer. Not only that, fresh cuts of red meat probably cause cancer too.

Doctors have long warned that steak and sausages can be hazardous to your health. But the new assessment from the WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer officially classifies processed meats as "carcinogenic to humans," putting them in the same category as asbestos, tobacco smoke and formaldehyde.

A group of 22 scientists came to that conclusion after evaluating more than 800 studies from countries — and cuisines — around the world. The results of their investigation were published Monday in the journal Lancet Oncology...

Does this mean we will have diet deniers like climate deniers?

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we already knew about high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. Now cancer too. Not good.

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone who takes the WHO as an unbiased source deserves to have pleasure-free diet. But regardless, I've heard you can mitigate any problem with hot dogs by smothering them with chili

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Anyone who takes the WHO as an unbiased source deserves to have pleasure-free diet. But regardless, I've heard you can mitigate any problem with hot dogs by smothering them with chili

True. Chili is a known anti-carcinogen.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Why would the WHO be biased? Is the Lancet biased, also?

Not eating meat is not the same as a pleasure-free diet, either.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Meat is cancer...

Tasty, tasty cancer.

Kidding aside, just another reason not to eat processed foods. They are just so insanely bad for you in pretty much every way. They can have the Ham, Hot dogs etc, but if you want my bacon you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands, which apparently will be the case. lol

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Report: Red Meat Linked to Contentedly Patting Belly

http://www.theonion.com/article/rep...lMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

WASHINGTON—Saying the effects were almost immediate and largely unavoidable, the National Institute of Food and Agriculture released a report Tuesday linking red meat to contentedly patting one’s belly. “Our data show a strong, statistically significant correlation between consuming servings of red meat and pushing back one’s chair, letting out a satisfied sigh, and gently patting or rubbing one’s abdomen with either one or both hands,” said lead researcher Elliott Hyde, who explained that eating cuts of beef, pork, or lamb was also found to cause acute sereneness and glazing-over of the eyes. “Subjects who ate steaks, burgers, roasts, or chops were also 80 percent more susceptible than non-meat-eaters to groaning happily at audible volumes, and were particularly at risk of uttering vocalizations that contained the phrases ‘Oh, yeah,’ ‘Mmm,’ and ‘That was good.’” The report further revealed that the consumption of processed meats, such as bacon and sausage, was linked to a 100 percent chance of seconds.

Red-blooded Americans:1
Vegan Communist Hipsters: 0

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
That's nothing new. Especially grilled meats and processed meats which are full of nitrates. Just eat your meat raw.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Bacon or chemo. Choose one.

Bacon now and I'll worry about the potential ramifications later.

However this is coming from someone who started a Ketogenic diet back in March and hasn't looked back since. ;) Hit my goal weight months ago and have stuck to pretty much the same way of eating because MEAT IS DELICIOUS.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bacon. I come from generations of bacon-eaters who live to be 96 and die when they fall off a chair trying to get a book off a high shelf.
I get hot dogs. They are the epitome of 'processed' meats, but bacon?? How is bacon processed the same way hot dogs are?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Peoples arrogant attitudes towards health and obesity are probably the biggest factor contributing to our national health crisis and outrageous insurance premiums.

Why should I have to pay gigantic health insurance premiums so Fat Joe can treat his body like a toilet?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson