"Hope" is the thing with feathers---

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In light of all the frustration and disappointment we Cardinal fans endured yesterday, I have found myself searching for some inspiration today---and then I thought of what Emily Dickinson wrote about "Hope":

That perches in the soul---
And sings the tune---without the words---
And never stops---at all---

And sweetest in the Gale---is heard---
And sore must be the storm---
That could abash the little Bird---
That kept so many warm---

I've heard it in the chillest land---
And on the strangest Sea---
Yet---never---in Extremity---
It asked a crumb of me---

After yesterday's "abashment" we may be finding ourselves today bracing our thoughts and channeling our deepest doubts in the "chillest land"---however---if you believe in what Dickinson says, "Hope" lives in our souls and "never stops---at all---" And better still, if what we hold onto in our souls is "Hope"---that "little Bird" does not require a "crumb" in order to continue to survive and to sing on.

This is what Andy Dufresne was referring to when he said to Red and his friends that "Hope" is the one thing they (the warden and the guards) could never take away from them---and if you recall, Dufresne referred to hope as the music in one's soul, which is what prompted him to play the sweet Italian aria---no one could understand the words, yet everyone could understand and embrace the beauty of the "tune."

Therefore---today---let's listen deeply into our souls for the exquisite hope that remains. I have been doing this all day and here are just a few of the tunes I've heard:

I hope that as Kevin Kolb gains experience that he will slow himself down at the end of games and lead this team to outstanding victories. I am happy with his charisma---his competitive fire---and the way he has galvanized his teammates in such a short time. And oh I love that arm.

I hope that Beanie Wells returns this week and continues his improvement as the lead back and that the Cardinals will use Alfonso Smith from this day forward, as he displayed the kind of speed to the hole and courage that the team needs more of.

I hope that the offensive line finds a way to stifle the Giants' fierce pass rush.

I hope the Cardinals will have a new surprise WR or TE performance each week as they did with Early Doucet and Jeff King in previous games.

I hope that the next time the opponent double teams Darnell Dockett on a run block that the ILB fills the hole pronto the way every ILB is taught to do and that if the RB gets beyond the line of scrimmage that the safeties will start making good, solid statement-type tackles.

I hope that the Cardinals edge rush continues to improve.

I hope that Dockett and Campbell play every game with the same intensity and tenacity that they played with yesterday because I know that when they do, the Cardinals have the best chance to win.

I hope that Daryl Washington is back to 100% for good this week and that he is the difference maker in the game.

I hope that A.J. Jefferson and Patrick Peterson keep improving and start making big plays on the ball.

I hope that Ray Horton finds a way to maximize Adrian Wilson's talents as he did when he put Wilson on the edge yesterday for a play that Wilson absolutely blew up.

I hope that the Cardinals' kicking game becomes prolific and that the Cardinals' Special Teams find ways to help the team win games as they did in Week 1.

I hope the team keeps cutting down on the penalties as they did yesterday.

I hope the Cardinals make it an especially long afternoon for Antrel Rolle.

I hope---most of all---that the players realize that this year their greatest hope of all is to play great and win at home.

I hope that our great fans go home happy every game this year.

I hope---

I hope---

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good words Mitch. :thumbup:

I've been hoping for 40 years my man & in February of 2009, it almost happened. To me, nothing else in my world of football exists besides seeing my Cardinals hoist the Super Bowl Trophy...we were ohhhhh so close!!! Maybe 1 day that destiny will be fullfilled in my lifetime.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hope Stewart Bradley starts to get it. I was an advocate of his, but he looked like doo-doo yesterday. He was constantly out of position in the run game.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good words Mitch. :thumbup:

I've been hoping for 40 years my man & in February of 2009, it almost happened. To me, nothing else in my world of football exists besides seeing my Cardinals hoist the Super Bowl Trophy...we were ohhhhh so close!!! Maybe 1 day that destiny will be fullfilled in my lifetime.

As disappointed and as cynical as we have the inkling to be with this team---that "little Bird" sings on, Bucky. And they can never take that little Bird away from us. I hope what you hope. And I hope to celebrate it all with you and everyone of us at ASFN. Let's keep our feet on the ground and out eyes on the stars...because, as Kurt Warner taught us, you never ever know!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading your original post today I was expecting your Poem to be titled "Mope"

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I hope Stewart Bradley starts to get it. I was an advocate of his, but he looked like doo-doo yesterday. He was constantly out of position in the run game.

Me too, Krang---too much talent there to ignore. But, I hope Horton starts playing him at SOLB, half and half with Clark Haggans. I strongly believe that's the right position for Bradley.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
After reading your original post today I was expecting your Poem to be titled "Mope"

The moping is over today---it's a brand new day and a brand new week. And I am hoping that all good things are possible.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Me too, Krang---too much talent there to ignore. But, I hope Horton starts playing him at SOLB, half and half with Clark Haggans. I strongly believe that's the right position for Bradley.

You might be right there, but Haggans has been the most consistent LB on the team.

IMO defenders that we can count on and/or will be good players moving forward:

Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Washington, Jefferson, Peterson. If you notice, I only list ONE LB, and I'm stretching a bit on the corners. Of the two, Jefferson has been quite a bit better than Peterson.

Rhodes and Wilson have been horrible, as have 2/4s (without Washington 3/4s) of our LB Corps. Man this defense needs a talent infusion at LB and S badly.

OT is severely lacking on talent on offense....the offense is much closer to being good talent wise.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
You might be right there, but Haggans has been the most consistent LB on the team.

IMO defenders that we can count on and/or will be good players moving forward:

Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Washington, Jefferson, Peterson. If you notice, I only list ONE LB, and I'm stretching a bit on the corners. Of the two, Jefferson has been quite a bit better than Peterson.

Rhodes and Wilson have been horrible, as have 2/4s (without Washington 3/4s) of our LB Corps. Man this defense needs a talent infusion at LB and S badly.

OT is severely lacking on talent on offense....the offense is much closer to being good talent wise.

I agree about Haggans, Krang---but at his age, as with Porter, splitting the snaps for them is the right thing to do or they will be either injured or too gassed to perform by week 5.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of hope, if we could just get Froggie to "plunk his magic twanger", we might get the Cardinals back on track.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope that Bridges starts in place of Levi Brown, especially against the Giants rush DE. Pierre-Paul did the same to the Redskins as Clemmons did to the Cards on Sunday. Several times Brown was blocking no one, whether it was Grimm's scheme or he had no idea as to what diection to block. He will get Kolb hurt if this continues. i'd rather have Batiste playing instead of Brown. maybe it would do brown some good to sit. He probably sould be starting at right guard.

With Hadnot at right guard, you cannot run that to the right, even though Keith has been blocking well on run plays. Maybe it's time for "The Duece"

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In light of all the frustration and disappointment we Cardinal fans endured yesterday, I have found myself searching for some inspiration today---and then I thought of what Emily Dickinson wrote about "Hope":

That perches in the soul---
And sings the tune---without the words---
And never stops---at all---

And sweetest in the Gale---is heard---
And sore must be the storm---
That could abash the little Bird---
That kept so many warm---

I've heard it in the chillest land---
And on the strangest Sea---
Yet---never---in Extremity---
It asked a crumb of me---

After yesterday's "abashment" we may be finding ourselves today bracing our thoughts and channeling our deepest doubts in the "chillest land"---however---if you believe in what Dickinson says, "Hope" lives in our souls and "never stops---at all---" And better still, if what we hold onto in our souls is "Hope"---that "little Bird" does not require a "crumb" in order to continue to survive and to sing on.

This is what Andy Dufresne was referring to when he said to Red and his friends that "Hope" is the one thing they (the warden and the guards) could never take away from them---and if you recall, Dufresne referred to hope as the music in one's soul, which is what prompted him to play the sweet Italian aria---no one could understand the words, yet everyone could understand and embrace the beauty of the "tune."

Therefore---today---let's listen deeply into our souls for the exquisite hope that remains. I have been doing this all day and here are just a few of the tunes I've heard:

I hope that as Kevin Kolb gains experience that he will slow himself down at the end of games and lead this team to outstanding victories. I am happy with his charisma---his competitive fire---and the way he has galvanized his teammates in such a short time. And oh I love that arm.

I hope that Beanie Wells returns this week and continues his improvement as the lead back and that the Cardinals will use Alfonso Smith from this day forward, as he displayed the kind of speed to the hole and courage that the team needs more of.

I hope that the offensive line finds a way to stifle the Giants' fierce pass rush.

I hope the Cardinals will have a new surprise WR or TE performance each week as they did with Early Doucet and Jeff King in previous games.

I hope that the next time the opponent double teams Darnell Dockett on a run block that the ILB fills the hole pronto the way every ILB is taught to do and that if the RB gets beyond the line of scrimmage that the safeties will start making good, solid statement-type tackles.

I hope that the Cardinals edge rush continues to improve.

I hope that Dockett and Campbell play every game with the same intensity and tenacity that they played with yesterday because I know that when they do, the Cardinals have the best chance to win.

I hope that Daryl Washington is back to 100% for good this week and that he is the difference maker in the game.

I hope that A.J. Jefferson and Patrick Peterson keep improving and start making big plays on the ball.

I hope that Ray Horton finds a way to maximize Adrian Wilson's talents as he did when he put Wilson on the edge yesterday for a play that Wilson absolutely blew up.

I hope that the Cardinals' kicking game becomes prolific and that the Cardinals' Special Teams find ways to help the team win games as they did in Week 1.

I hope the team keeps cutting down on the penalties as they did yesterday.

I hope the Cardinals make it an especially long afternoon for Antrel Rolle.

I hope---most of all---that the players realize that this year their greatest hope of all is to play great and win at home.

I hope that our great fans go home happy every game this year.

I hope---

I hope---

SADly if 3/4 of that comes true we should win 6 games and we'll all hear how the Cards made strides with the improvement of 1 full game....

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey Cheesebeef it looks like people are buying our "If and Hope" book we were trying to sell them in preseason.

:)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Let hope keep you joyful.
In trouble stand firm.
Persist in prayer."

Romans 12:12

(They really should print that on the back of every Cardinals ticket.)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"Let hope keep you joyful.
In trouble stand firm.
Persist in prayer."

Romans 12:12

(They really should print that on the back of every Cardinals ticket.)

Shouldn't that be Romans 5:11

:)

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Ah! My learned friend you come through once again. It was wise of you to post this, because after reading it I looked into my heart and saw doom, and hatred, instead of hope. I am almost beyond hoping for anything remotely resembling professional football coming from this coaching staff.

I am not down on our players though. I really do believe that more of their failures are due to poor coaching than their failure to play hard. I still don't believe that they have been coached to play smart, tough, disciplined football. My hope is that Whiz and company remember his words when he arrived here, and that they look at what they have created, and begin to actually fix it, because this coaching staff broke a very workable team of players that Denny left behind.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I hope that Bridges starts in place of Levi Brown, especially against the Giants rush DE. Pierre-Paul did the same to the Redskins as Clemmons did to the Cards on Sunday. Several times Brown was blocking no one, whether it was Grimm's scheme or he had no idea as to what diection to block. He will get Kolb hurt if this continues. i'd rather have Batiste playing instead of Brown. maybe it would do brown some good to sit. He probably sould be starting at right guard.

With Hadnot at right guard, you cannot run that to the right, even though Keith has been blocking well on run plays. Maybe it's time for "The Duece"
I agree with this.^

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're going to have to prove this to me.

Cards rushing stats are superior when running to the right (according to NFL stats, including 100% success rate when running to the right with 2 yards or less needed for first down)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen