Home-and-Home with New Mexico announced

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
yes, Lute won't play anywhere that Arizona didn't have the advantage - par for the course for him.

Hogwash. Lute was well-known for scheduling difficult OOC games. That's part of how he jump started the program.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hogwash. Lute was well-known for scheduling difficult OOC games. That's part of how he jump started the program.

Jon is still bitter Lute wouldn't play NAU in Flagstaff which of course is a completely nonsensical argument. We had at least 2 marquee road games every season under Lute, he scheduled up more than Miller has.

The Lobos much like NAU are not on our level. Lute was right in that we don't need to subsidize their programs by giving them home games against us and the inevitable sellouts and exposure that comes along with it. We already do that with UNLV and SDSU who have fans that generally behave like normal human beings instead of jilted lovers.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon is still bitter Lute wouldn't play NAU in Flagstaff which of course is a completely nonsensical argument. We had at least 2 marquee road games every season under Lute, he scheduled up more than Miller has.

The Lobos much like NAU are not on our level. Lute was right in that we don't need to subsidize their programs by giving them home games against us and the inevitable sellouts and exposure that comes along with it. We already do that with UNLV and SDSU who have fans that generally behave like normal human beings instead of jilted lovers.

NAU, as the other in-state school, should be getting home and home series with ASU and UA - we are Division I. We used to, until Lute threw a fit.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAU, as the other in-state school, should be getting home and home series with ASU and UA - we are Division I. We used to, until Lute threw a fit.

I wouldn't mind that before the PAC-12 season starts. Cats could also beat up on Grand Canyon who is now Division 1.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Actually UA didn't play at all in Flagstaff from 1973 - 1984. Then Lute gave NAU three games in Flagstaff all of which he won the last of which by 36 points. I doubt he threw a fit, more like calling off the dogs.

Next you're going to wonder why UCLA isn't giving UC-Irvine road games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually UA didn't play at all in Flagstaff from 1973 - 1984. Then Lute gave NAU three games in Flagstaff all of which he won the last of which by 36 points. I doubt he threw a fit, more like calling off the dogs.

Next you're going to wonder why UCLA isn't giving UC-Irvine road games.

I have no idea of this history of NAU. I know the UNM thing because it was during that phase when they had kids like Hunter Greene and were knocking people off at home and suddenly the top teams didn't want to play at the Pit. I know UCLA was in the same situation.

As for Lute, great coach, people forget though Lute had one hell of a temper. When he was the coach at Iowa he got so mad at a ref he blamed for costing him a game, he gave out the refs home phone number on live radio so that Iowa fans could call the guy. And they did, so many times, and with death threats that resulted in the guy having to change his home phone number and actually skip reffing a couple of games because he was under police protection.

Note, I'm not saying Lute told them to make death threats but it was pretty remarkable all Lute got was a reprimand by the Big 10, he could have easily been suspended the entire year for a stunt like that, if he did it today he probably would be.