Hollywood can go to hell...II

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
'A DOG'S PURPOSE'

TERRIFIED GERMAN SHEPHERD FORCED INTO TURBULENT WATER

One of the dogs in the upcoming film "A Dog's Purpose" desperately resisted shooting a risky scene, but chilling footage shows filmmakers apparently forcing the animal into rushing water.

TMZ obtained this video of a scene shot in a pool outside Winnipeg, Canada in November 2015. You can see a trainer forcibly shoving a German Shepherd -- one of at least 5 dogs used in the production -- into the frothing water, but the animal wanted NO part of it ... and repeatedly clawed at the pool's edge.

Sources connected to production tell us 8 outboard motors were used to churn the water and recreate a rushing river. The dog eventually got in the water -- or was forced in -- but was quickly submerged.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/18/a-dogs-purpose-german-shepherd-abuse-video/

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a movie concept that would be called 'A Director's Purpose' and it involves a man struggling in near-freezing churning water for 90 minutes. WTH, people? :mad:

Reaction score
I hope they get fined immensely for doing that. Send all of the money to one of the animal shelters. Make them work in an animal shelter for their community service as well. I say about 400 hours worth.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is this considered a personal attack? Hollywood seems like a nice dude here. :D

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I have a movie concept that would be called 'A Director's Purpose' and it involves a man struggling in near-freezing churning water for 90 minutes. WTH, people? :mad:

I'd buy a PSL for that.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What recourse is there for this? Can their membership in the guild or union be revoked or something?

Chaplin? Cheesebeef?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What recourse is there for this? Can their membership in the guild or union be revoked or something?

Chaplin? Cheesebeef?
I'm not sure about the guild rules, but there will probably be heavy fines for at least the production company and probably sanctions from the Human Society or whatever group polices this. I'm not sure what the penalties are for mishandling animals in movies.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the guild rules, but there will probably be heavy fines for at least the production company and probably sanctions from the Human Society or whatever group polices this. I'm not sure what the penalties are for mishandling animals in movies.

You don't get to put "No Animals Were Harmed..." in the end credits? :shrug:

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

The American Humane Association doesn't have that great of a reputation to begin with.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Producer & Author After Seeing Full Tape: Dog Was Not In Danger (UPDATE)

http://deadline.com/2017/01/a-dogs-...ted-tape-the-dog-was-in-no-danger-1201891070/

The author of the book and co-screenwriter W. Bruce Cameron, who saw the full footage the day of the shoot, also said the edited video “mis-characterized” what happened on the set and went on Facebook to release the following statement:

First I want to thank everyone—and there have been literally thousands of you—who have written to express support. Your words and thoughts mean the world to us.

I found the video we’ve all seen to be shocking because when I was on set, the ethic of everyone was the safety and comfort of the dogs.

If the people who shot and edited the video thought something was wrong, why did they wait fifteen months to do anything about it, instead of immediately going to the authorities?

I have since viewed footage taken of the day in question, when I wasn’t there, and it paints an entirely different picture.

The written commentary accompanying the edited video mischaracterizes what happened. The dog was not terrified and not thrown in the water—I’ve seen footage of Hercules earlier that day joyfully jumping in the pool. When he was asked to perform the stunt from the other side of the pool, which was not how he had been doing it all day, he balked. The mistake was trying to dip the dog in the water to show him it was okay—the water wasn’t his issue, it was the location that was the issue, and the dog happily did the stunt when he was allowed to return to his original spot.

I also didn’t like it when Hercules’s head briefly went under water, but there was a scuba diver and a trainer in the pool to protect him. He loves the water, wasn’t in danger, and wasn’t upset.

On a movie where the mantra was the safety and comfort of the dogs, mistakes were made, and everything needs to be done to make sure those errors are not repeated. But the reason American Humane certifies that no animals were harmed during the making of the film is that no animals were harmed during the making of the film.

I celebrate animal rescue and am proud of the values that show up in A Dog’s Purpose.

We were told that when the full investigation by the studio and the production company is over, the unedited video likely will be released to the public.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn