Hey Harry

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was watching the army navy game the other day and one guy stood out.
MLB Taylor Heflin

Do you know anything about him? A bit undersized at six foot two and 230.... But i was thinking the kid might be worth a late round pick.

Military academy guys dont usually have work ethic or character concerns...

What do you know? One game against army isnt really sufficient for a scouting report.

How about anyone else? Do y'all know anything about this kid?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has to serve two years on Active Duty regardless before perusing a professional career.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, used to, they owed 5 years of military service, not two. Maybe it's changed or they've made an exception?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My oldest son went to the USMA and graduated in 1999. When he first went in he was obligated for six years after graduation. During his freshman year, they changed the obligation to five years.

I did not know that top tier athletes could get out after two years. I did know that David Robinson didn't have to serve his obligation, though.
Thx, for the info.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think military academies allow kids to transfer after junior year if they have pro prospects. I could have swore there was a kid a few years ago that did that.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's my understanding that if they drop out after two years, they go into the regular army. At least it used to be that way, I think.

What you must understand is that even though it is college, they are in the army and there is a commitment.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Maybe he's worth drafting late anyhow. Need I remind anyone about Roger Staubach, the Cowboys drafted him and waited the two years.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Big fish in a small pond. The military academies have relaxed their commitment requirements in recent years, but mostly for star players who could benefit the schools from a publicity standpoint. Heflin is a solid player but likely no better than a backup or special teams player in the NFL. He’s a high effort type that has always overachieved. I can’t see anyone spending a pick on him with the obligation, but he’d be a good teammate.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IIRC, David Robinson out grew the maximum height allowed for naval service.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
IIRC, David Robinson out grew the maximum height allowed for naval service.

Yep. It was all over the news when he burst into stardom at Navy. One of the most amazing physical transformations in NCAA history. But he still had the discipline. Played all 4 years. Now they play one

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's my understanding that if they drop out after two years, they go into the regular army. At least it used to be that way, I think.

What you must understand is that even though it is college, they are in the army and there is a commitment.

Yes they incur a service obligation as enlisted. ROTC is similar, but they have the chance to pay back the scholarship as instead.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While in college they are paid a small monthly salary, too. I don't know if you could say that they are there on scholarship or not since they are paid some. And everyone that goes there is the same.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson