Heroes and Goats (Abbreviated)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Heroes:

Chase Edmonds, RB — When you're dealing with a young QB, having consistent pieces around him is almost more important than having especially dynamic weapons. Edmonds is not a dynamic weapon, and he probably can't and shouldn't be an every-down back in the NFL. But he was great yesterday in another homecoming performance.

Deandre Hopkins, WR — I think that a lot of Cards fans have been so inured about Larry Fitzgerald's declining greatness that they didn't really understand how far that decline has progressed. Fitz is a below-average starting wideout; Hopkins is one of the five best playing right now. The gap is enormous. Nuk had 131 yards and a TD while probably leaving another 40-60 yards on the field.

Dennis Gardeck, OLB — What a gritty performance. Gardeck, a gym rat, doesn't have great phsyical ability, but he has a motor that doesn't quit. Quicker than fast, Gardeck is a student of the game, an absolute tape-eater who makes the most of his limited physical ability.

Goats:

Vance Joseph, DC — The LOLJets had their second-best offensive performance of the season by yardage, and Joe Flacco ended up looking like Aaron Rodgers out there. Isiah Simmons only had 13 snaps.

Andy Isabella, WR — After all the talk about how much more confident I-Andy was this offseason, we're seeing a guy who is basically Short, Yoked J.J. Nelson.

Fan Overreactions — The Panthers might be good, the Lions might be average. Losing to those teams tell us that the Cards are, in all likelihood, a below-average NFL team in 2020. Not what you want in the second-year of Murray's rookie deal, but at 3-2 the Cards still control their destiny for a Wild Card slot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@kerouac9 also Nuk caught 6 of 7 targets.

I'd argue that Isabella at least looks like he belongs this year. Last year he disappointed so much, but I think everyone underestimated the jump in competition from UMass to the NFL.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Heroes:

Chase Edmonds, RB — When you're dealing with a young QB, having consistent pieces around him is almost more important than having especially dynamic weapons. Edmonds is not a dynamic weapon, and he probably can't and shouldn't be an every-down back in the NFL. But he was great yesterday in another homecoming performance.

Deandre Hopkins, WR — I think that a lot of Cards fans have been so inured about Larry Fitzgerald's declining greatness that they didn't really understand how far that decline has progressed. Fitz is a below-average starting wideout; Hopkins is one of the five best playing right now. The gap is enormous. Nuk had 131 yards and a TD while probably leaving another 40-60 yards on the field.

Dennis Gardeck, OLB — What a gritty performance. Gardeck, a gym rat, doesn't have great phsyical ability, but he has a motor that doesn't quit. Quicker than fast, Gardeck is a student of the game, an absolute tape-eater who makes the most of his limited physical ability.

Goats:

Vance Joseph, DC — The LOLJets had their second-best offensive performance of the season by yardage, and Joe Flacco ended up looking like Aaron Rodgers out there. Isiah Simmons only had 13 snaps.

Andy Isabella, WR — After all the talk about how much more confident I-Andy was this offseason, we're seeing a guy who is basically Short, Yoked J.J. Nelson.

Fan Overreactions — The Panthers might be good, the Lions might be average. Losing to those teams tell us that the Cards are, in all likelihood, a below-average NFL team in 2020. Not what you want in the second-year of Murray's rookie deal, but at 3-2 the Cards still control their destiny for a Wild Card slot.

Defense gives up 10 points (three on a short field), and VJ is a Goat? And Flacco looked like Aaron Rodgers?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kliff and Kyler deserve a lot of credit for Hopkins’ great start.

Hopkins’ biggest outlier stat so far is his catch%, which is at an insane 84.9% (his career # is 61.5; Fitz career is 61, Julio career is 64). That tells us that (1) Kliff is designing plays for him to get the ball in positions in which he can catch it, and (2) Kyler is really damn accurate.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Defense gives up 10 points (three on a short field), and VJ is a Goat?

Jets dropped a few easy ones (although one of those drops occurred on their TD drive), but the defense really only had one major mistake (on the long broken play to Crowder).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was going to post the same. He was 18/33 for 195 yards. The Jets also only scored 10 points. That is their 2nd lowest total of the season and scored 28 on the Broncos last week.

I think he meant running for first downs 2-3 times in the game

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s normal for teams to lose contain on a QB like Flacco because the last thing you think of when playing him is him running.

not really. He hadn't run for 20 yards in a game since 2017, he actually was over 40 in that game.

Some of that was players not scheme though twice it looked like we had him and just didn't complete the play. One thing I notice often in the NFL, QB's in the pocket that don't just do the Tom Brady sit down thing, at least once a game you can pop out of a certain sack and get yards. The DL they're so afraid of the roughing penalty and so used to QB's just going down to avoid the big hit that every now and then a QB can just sort of surprise them by not going down. Wilson does it at least once a game and I thought Flacco did it twice yesterday

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not really. He hadn't run for 20 yards in a game since 2017, he actually was over 40 in that game.

Some of that was players not scheme though twice it looked like we had him and just didn't complete the play. One thing I notice often in the NFL, QB's in the pocket that don't just do the Tom Brady sit down thing, at least once a game you can pop out of a certain sack and get yards. The DL they're so afraid of the roughing penalty and so used to QB's just going down to avoid the big hit that every now and then a QB can just sort of surprise them by not going down. Wilson does it at least once a game and I thought Flacco did it twice yesterday

I see what your saying but his running was a symptom of having nobody open. Whereas in the past he's had receivers and not had to run.

They were desperation runs really.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defense gives up 10 points (three on a short field), and VJ is a Goat? And Flacco looked like Aaron Rodgers?

Yeah. This is probably the worst one I can remember.

I probably don't agree with half of them.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff and Kyler deserve a lot of credit for Hopkins’ great start.

Hopkins’ biggest outlier stat so far is his catch%, which is at an insane 84.9% (his career # is 61.5; Fitz career is 61, Julio career is 64). That tells us that (1) Kliff is designing plays for him to get the ball in positions in which he can catch it, and (2) Kyler is really damn accurate.
Impossible. This board just told me all week that Kyler sucks. He’s being on pace for 40+ touchdowns is irrelevant.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I actually think Peterson played a good game, hence you did not hear him mentioned often which is like a LT or RT on the line where no mention is good news. I still think the Cards need to find a way to activate Ward for insurance at safety (I like Deionte Thompson) along with the Pauper (Prince A) at CB if signed because the Jets are not a litmus test of what to expect if this team has any aspirations playing significant games in November in my opinion

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
If you watched, you know.

I did watch the game, and I thought the D looked fine, and the stats back it up. We gave up 285 yards total offense, which is about what they were averaging and 10 points, which is about six points less than they were averaging. I guess if you've made up your mind that VJ is trash, nothing his defense does will ever be good enough.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I did watch the game, and I thought the D looked fine, and the stats back it up. We gave up 285 yards total offense, which is about what they were averaging and 10 points, which is about six points less than they were averaging. I guess if you've made up your mind that VJ is trash, nothing his defense does will ever be good enough.

There were so many near hit that even a middling NFL team makes.

The Cardinals still aren't playing well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson